• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
How much did Liverpool spend this season?

Tbf Liverpool need to sell players like Coutinho in order to buy players like VVD. They aren't in a situation like City with endless cashflow. When shit isn't working out for City, they just bring in a player like Sane to try and fix it. Liverpool do not have that luxury.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming they win the champions league, pool could win as many as 3 trophies right?

If Liverpool win the Champions League.

Next season we would play in the Community Shield(mosty likely lol because City wins the FA Cup), the European Super Cup plus the Club World Cup in December.

Not accolades that Man Utd, Everton or any of the detractors will count as real silverware, but I would be happy to win them if we win the CL. Especially that Club World Cup one since we got robbed in 2005!!!

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The form of the title challengers for the last couple of months has been wild.

City had to win 14 in a row to win the title by a point. And they did it. So fair play to that.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Congratulations City, you broke my heart but you won the league.

Roll on the 1st of June, can't wait!

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017

Next season we would play in the Community Shield(mosty likely lol because City wins the FA Cup), the European Super Cup plus the Club World Cup in December.

Not accolades that Man Utd, Everton or any of the detractors will count as real silverware, but I would be happy to win them if we win the CL. Especially that Club World Cup one since we got robbed in 2005!!!
Club World Cup doesn't exist anymore. UEFA are having some summer tournament in 2021 to replace it, which will include finalists from this years CL as well.

Daverytimes

Oct 25, 2017

Forgot the supercup is late in the year.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone trying to argue that Liverpool's spending is in any way comparable to what City have spent since Pep arrived is out of their mind. City are PSG with all the creative accounting to avoid FFP

Well I'd argue it *is* comparable, although as mentioned above, Liverpool have to sell players to buy. Klopp has spent over £400 million building his team though. Why not just come out and blame the amount of games your team has drawn instead? A couple of those games converted to wins would have done it (as would results against City) but no, trot out and blame the money. It's a lazy excuse.

elseanio

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
How much did Liverpool spend this season?

This is net, so accounts for the fact teams have to lose players to build.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

Liverpool out spending city this season, but not surprising on the back of a £200m spend in 17/18 for their 100 pts team.

19/20 will hopefully be a season where Liverpool can build without having to offload. Say what you want about coutinho, he may have been the difference in those games drawn.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We may not have finished any higher this season, but we're 5 points and +22 goal difference better off so that's something. The football is miles better than it was under Allardyce as well.

Just need some consistency and we could maybe challenge for the top six. I've said that before though, and the team have always let me down.
Apart from the meltdown you had after the derby, you lot would comfortably be pushing top 6 and going on a cup run. And that's with the squad as is. Buy in some young talent and you'll be fucking deadly next season. Think about it; Chelsea can't sign, Ole isn't gonna pull in talent above your pay grade, and you're over the first season kinks with Silva.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from the meltdown you had after the derby, you lot would comfortably be pushing top 6 and going on a cup run. And that's with the squad as is. Buy in some young talent and you'll be fucking deadly next season. Think about it; Chelsea can't sign, Ole isn't gonna pull in talent above your pay grade, and you're over the first season kinks with Silva.

Yep with Chelsea and Man Utd's struggles, Everton might not get a better chance to break into the top 4 like next season.

OnDaBlock

Dec 12, 2017
Point out that Liverpool spent a record fee for both a defender and goalkeeper, and get met with "well, our net spend is better than Man City's."

Man Utd have spent 100s of millions for the past few seasons and they finished sixth.

Both teams spent a ridiculous amount of money for their players. It just reeks of sourness when you have to bring up City's wealth as an excuse for not winning the title.

But I guess if Liverpool lose the CL final, Klopp can blame the weather again.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'd argue it *is* comparable, although as mentioned above, Liverpool have to sell players to buy. Klopp has spent over £400 million building his team though. Why not just come out and blame the amount of games your team has drawn instead? A couple of those games converted to wins would have done it (as would results against City) but no, trot out and blame the money. It's a lazy excuse.
Nah I do blame the games. Not even the Leicester or West Ham ones, but the home leg to City, or the missed shot by Mané at the Eithad. Or not taking United when we had them, or underestimating how much Everton would defend to deny us.

And when I blame any of that, it does make me think; in other title challenges, it's the culmination of all those failings that cost us, with this season if, we worked better at ANY one of those mentioned, we'd have won the title.

Fuck me we've come a long way.

OnDaBlock

Dec 12, 2017
Ssssh, if you use facts and common sense, you'll get called an idiot. Steady on there old boy.

timeforsana

Oct 26, 2017
We talking about net spend?

xoMT69b.png

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
What a great season. have to make sure we're at our best against spurs in the final. We need trophies man.

Also it warms my heart to see so many celebratory posts from city fans for winning the league. Congrats

Kronvilt

Oct 28, 2017
Ssssh, if you use facts and common sense, you'll get called an idiot. Steady on there old boy.

For some reason I don't think the owners of two of the clubs in the world that spend the most money in their respective league are doing so because it's fun, but because it gives result.

But I'll gladly take a look at the facts you're talking about.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017

Liverpool lost on head to head, City took 4 points from them this season and that was the difference between the sides despite the draws and City losing a few more games against the other sides. Not taking City's fuck you oil money into account is ridiculous, who was the last player City sold for a significant amount of money? They spunk £60m on Mahrez and £50m on Kyle Walker without blinking. Liverpool kept the league from looking like Ligue 1 and Pep fucked the up Champions League yet again despite limitless funds.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I don't think the owners of two of the clubs in the world that spend the most money in their respective league are doing so because it's fun, but because it gives result.

But I'll gladly take a look at the facts you're talking about.

They do it for the PR and even then it's not worth the money.

mickdundee96

Nov 23, 2017
Liverpool lost on head to head, City took 4 points from them this season and that was the difference between the sides despite the draws and City losing a few more games against the other sides. Not taking City's fuck you oil money into account is ridiculous, who was the last player City sold for a significant amount of money? They spunk £60m on Mahrez and £50m on Kyle Walker without blinking. Liverpool kept the league from looking like Ligue 1 and Pep fucked the up Champions League yet again despite limitless funds.

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
Mental gymnastics of people trying to equate Liverpool's level of spending to City's (before even taking in the astronomical wages) is hilarious.

Also for left leaning progressive era a surprising amount of people don't give a flying fuck about the human rights issues of City's owners yet will stir up a fucking storm over some eastern European guy saying idiotz

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Mental gymnastics of people trying to equate Liverpool's level of spending to City's (before even taking in the astronomical wages) is hilarious.

Also for left leaning progressive era a surprising amount of people don't give a flying fuck about the human rights issues of City's owners yet will stir up a fucking storm over some eastern European guy saying idiotz

The human right issues doesn't mean so much as long as Those Obnoxious Liverpool Fans™ don't get to celebrate winning a league and being all Obnoxious™

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I really like the Liverpool squad and Kloppo since the Dortmund days and wished that they would win the leauge but from all the games i saw from City, that squad really was a dominant one and their wins most of the time very solid. Liverpool had some lucky wins/draws so in the end City isn't the undeserved champ in my eyes (still don't like Guardiola).
Hope Liverpool wins the CL and crowns this year with a title.

Slim chance for Dortmund to take this year although they probably don't really deserve it (see last games against Augsburg, Schalke and Bayern...). Fuck Kovac though. Maybe another miracle Frankfurt cock block?

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
If people gave a fuck about human rights they wouldn't cheer for any big club. Some are worse, no doubt, but that doesn't excuse the shit pretty much all of them pull one way or another. That includes Bayern.
Hope Liverpool wins the CL and crowns this year with a title.
I hope the club with the significantly lesser (net) spend wins the Champions League. I heard that's the new rage.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Context?

OnDaBlock

Dec 12, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling
Now we're bringing up human rights issues? Wow. As I said, you just can't just lose with grace. Sad.

Scorch

Oct 28, 2017
California
City only drew 2 games this season - the same number as the Undrawables. Fair play to them for avoiding draws and ending the season with the necessary 14 game win streak. They deserved it.

Non-pool supporters can say Liverpool should have drawn less this season (in which they got the 3rd best league points tally ever), but that doesn't make them right. The Premier League wasn't easy in the first place, and the bar has been significantly raised by City over these past 2 seasons. It was a near flawless season in terms of consistency of performance and results. 97 points (30-7-1 with +67 GD) in a tough league is a massive achievement no matter how you slice it. I would gladly take that record any year.

Looking forward to the match on June 1st, and then going at it again next season.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
The rebuild at Real Madrid looks more and more intensive. This is probably going to be on the level of the post-galactico era. God help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.