• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
After easy games against fake teams including wins at PSG, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs away, and a draw at home with the walking wounded against Liverpool, ole finally has a real test this weekend.

#ItsOnly

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Marca saying Florentino wants Zizou back. Which is pretty interesting since I assume that if he were to return, he'd want a lot more control over the squad and what players to purchase/release. So in theory he'd get to build his own team, instead of trying to make the one he gets work.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
ValuableMeatyAstarte-size_restricted.gif
OfficialFaithfulIchthyosaurs.gif

the best part about this pic, front 3 all academy kids
8osXvbW.jpg

Love it.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair if every young talent in your league wants to play for you and even your biggest rivals almost only exist to feed you players your spending can stay very low.
That's an enormous oversimplification and not really accurate as a whole.
Someone else could have signed Süle or Martinez or Sanches. Someone else could have loaned James or Coman.
There is the occasional free signing, notably Goretzka and Lewandowski, but even then it's not like other clubs are shut out.
Lord knows how much money Bayern actually spent on those "free" signings though.
Not even in the top 12 despite being in the top 4 revenue every single season. Fucking pricks.
Kind of makes you wonder where all that money goes though, no?

Last edited:

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Watched some highlights again and, yeah i can see the pen. He widened his body with his arm, even for a short time.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I think it was a harsh penalty but I can see why it was given. If you look at his left hand its over his head while his right is stretched out to the side, he's trying to block as much space as possible. It's reckless defending. PSG should focus on the two goals they gifted instead, they bottled it as usual.

7fb26f2dbe8be10559db22bb0abd5222

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But imagine giving away a penalty from such a pointless wild shot. All he had to do was stand his ground. All 3 of them diving and turning around with desperation.

😂

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
I hope Liverpool make it through versus Bayern now. The thought of a United - Liverpool QF or even United - City is just too good.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think it was a harsh penalty but I can see why it was given. If you look at his left hand its over his head while his right is stretched out to the side, he's trying to block as much space as possible. It's reckless defending. PSG should focus on the two goals they gifted instead, they bottled it as usual.

7fb26f2dbe8be10559db22bb0abd5222

With the natural instinct to turn away from the ball if you're jumping and turning away from the ball that's pretty much where your hand would go: slightly out and away from your torso.

It's a joke of a penalty. And if that's how VAR is going to be used, teams better start employing double amputees.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
With the natural instinct to turn away from the ball if you're jumping and turning away from the ball that's pretty much where your hand would go: slightly out and away from your torso.

It's a joke of a penalty. And if that's how VAR is going to be used, teams better start employing double amputees.
What about his left hand. Is that natural?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think the hand is unnatural, but it is true most coaches even tell kids, especially defenders, don't turn your back.

Gives refs a decision to make if they can suggest you weren't in control as your body and eyes weren't focused on the ball.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
He should have been a man and stood his ground

a ball to the face or bollocks is better than giving away a penalty.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
That kind of penalty is applying the rule to extreme. Context should matter too. This is not Suarez stopping a goal on the goal line. It's a shot going way over the goal and a player jumping turned away from the ball and with his arm very slightly wide. It's like a judge giving the maximum punishment for stealing a bread.

Take for example the penalty not given in the other game. There was a very light contact so applying the rule very strictly it should have been penalty, but in the end it was the right decision in the context, because anything else would have been very harsh.

It only hurts VAR acceptance. Theoretically VAR should help having less controversial decisions, not more.

And one might be happy when this is given against a team one hates, but it will happen also against the team one loves.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017

Why doesn't he instantly pulls his arm to the body on the rise? Instead the arm even goes out a bit or at least stays in position whie his body turns. Doesn't look like the motion of the arm is to help him turn away. I know it's easy to say with a slowed down gif while in realitiy it was only a quick reaction. But that is also what the ref sees on his screen so *shrug*. Still a pen for me but well, decision is made.

Last edited:

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

That is why you never jump with your back turned. It was the right choice to award the pen

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing will ever change my mind that it was a very soft penalty, but PSG got what they deserved, tactics were all wrong and you can't just gift the opposition two free goals at this level and hope to go through

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will ever change my mind that it was a very soft penalty, but PSG got what they deserved, tactics were all wrong and you can't just gift the opposition two free goals at this level and hope to go through

This is kinda how i feel about it all really. In the end champion teams find ways to win no matter whats happening on the pitch/ice/field.... And PSG couldnt find a way.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
It's a very soft penalty but he has one hand up next to his head and the other outstretched away from his body, he's trying to block as much space as possible. The instant the ball hits his arm you see how quickly he pulls it in. It's intentional in that he's trying to fill as much space as possible. He also didn't run over trying to protest when the ref gave it, he just put his head in his hands. Soft, 90% of the time it wouldn't be given but I can see why and I wouldn't argue against it really.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's a natural instinct. Very few people face up to being hit. Remember the law is intentional handball, that yesterday doesn't really meet that standard. It's not an obviously unnatural position.

He is making himself as big as possible to block the shot. That is very much a deliberate action.

Also he could just be a real man and block it with his face or balls like these two legends here ;)

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Marca saying Florentino wants Zizou back. Which is pretty interesting since I assume that if he were to return, he'd want a lot more control over the squad and what players to purchase/release. So in theory he'd get to build his own team, instead of trying to make the one he gets work.
Zidane was always the de-facto interim coach, Florentino was always the guy running the purchases and releases. Which is, from rumors, why Zidane left in the first place, as he had no control over the players he would have in the team. Now that Florentino's antics royally screwed the team, Zidane would better be free to do his job.

I just hope they don't hire fucking Mourinho of all people.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
I'd guess pre-VAR it's given about 25% of the time, which seems optimal. When it's given, sure, no complaints, you shouldn't turn your back like that. Then 75% of the time you don't drastically affect the result of the game because an arm that was out maybe six inches too far clips a wild, off-target shot.

Legal regimes come from both rules and enforcement. Just because the rulebook says it's a penalty doesn't mean the sport is better when that is called a penalty 100% of the time, and I'd argue it clearly isn't. VAR is the speeding-ticket camera of the sport.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
VAR is the speeding-ticket camera of the sport.
well said, I always thought this was a bad idea.

Yesterday in the Porto match, after the penalty given via VAR (btw, there was no good camera angle to determine if it really was a penalty for sure), there was another moment that the referee stopped the match for 15-20 seconds to listen to the VAR people. Then they decided it wasn't needed to use the VAR... but wait, if they were already talking to him, it means someone thought it was a penalty and the referee should have come to check the video. As a result, the match was stopped but the referee that matters did not see the result, and nothing happened.

I think that it is absurd that the match can be stopped for nothing, like I said above or if the referee goes and decided that nothing happens after the pen is given. The VAR team should have the power to decide whatever thing they want, whenever they want, and the match shouldn't stop.

Mac_Lane

Oct 29, 2017
Paris, France
PSG fan here. Still gutted. There was seemingly no way we wouldn't make it through. Yet we managed to fuck it all up once more.

Got a sinking feeling in my stomach when Lukaku scored his first goal. I knew then that this would be a dreadful night.

Horrible game, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Di Francesco getting the sack and replaced by Ranieri till the end of season

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
But they weren't? Paris lacked the finishing touches and screwed up its chances far more.

Paris lost partly on its own complacency and referee help

I'd also say the weather played a part. Anyone else see in the 95th minute when De Gea punched a ball in front of his goal that 99% of time any goalie under normal weather conditions would have caught?

Dry field and PSG would have scored twice.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Iwobi slays in 3rd minute and shuts down instantly that admirable crowd.

Clearly meant that cross to go into the goal !

Status
Not open for further replies.