• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
PREACH.

Enjoying football is great.

Meanwhile Liverpool still haven't won anything under Klopp, the cracks are starting to show on their league campaign too. Tfw Van Gaal and Mourinho are far more successful than Klopp, and both won more at United than Klopp did at Pool in less time.

The warm weather break for Liverpool comes at the perfect time.

The league is theirs to lose this year

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
The warm weather break in Liverpool comes at the perfect time for Pool.

The league is theirs to lose this year

Their FA Cup demise is actually quite beneficial to their league run, like you say the timing of this FA Cup weekend is great for Liverpool to get their heads back together and shake off a few knocks, physically and mentally, after City and Palace.

However they could also lose a bit of momentum with it. It's an awkward time, after the City and Palace games. After a period like that some teams will bounce while others might collapse.

Either way coming out of the festive period on top is massive for them.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I hope we get director of football in before the end of the season and we can recruit some better players than we did last season.

I'm hoping it's part of the plan, chucking Rebbe out and consulting with Siewart when looking for a new director, i.e. let them have discussions about the kind of players he's looking for before hiring.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Apparently the plane transporting Emiliano Sala from Nantes to Cardiff has disappeared, was supposed to land yesterday evening but never arrived. Boats and helicopters looking for it now.

Nomad Blue

Oct 30, 2017
Cardiff, UK
Awful news. Weather is better this morning so more chance of finding them.

Was excited to see him sign, but would be happy to never see him play for us as long as he's found alive and well.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
I'm not too optimistic, his plane has been missing since yesterday evening and they haven't found anything yet, it's looking likely it crashed into the sea :/
Fuck he didn't even want to leave Nantes really, not saying it's the owner's fault or anything but it makes you think "what if"... Really awful news.

OP
OP
Syder

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
That's fucking crazy

Condolences to the victims' families

MrJohnSherry

Jan 4, 2018
"Breaking | Channel Islands Air Search Chief Officer John Fitzgerald to So Foot on Emiliano Sala & the other 2 individuals on the missing plane: "I do not think that they are still alive." More follows. "

Really bloody sad. Hopefully he is wrong.

EDIT: "Channel Islands Air Search Chief Officer John Fitzgerald's interview with So Foot on Emiliano Sala's aircraft disappearance in full: "Personally, I think there is 0 chance they are alive now." http://bit.ly/SalaPlane "

Last edited:

Mac_Lane

Oct 29, 2017
Paris, France
Goddamnit this is such terrible news. He's been playing in France for several years for various clubs : Orléans, Niort, Bordeaux, Nantes... very likable player. Not the most efficient one but a very hardworking one. He was really coming of age this season.

I really hope for a miracle and that somehow he's found alive.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Always find it crazy a plane can go missing in today's world.

Things don't sound great but I hope he is found alive and rescued, or in a worst case scenario he is found at all so his family can get closure.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Always find it crazy a plane can go missing in today's world.

Things don't sound great but I hope he is found alive and rescued, or in a worst case scenario he is found at all so his family can get closure.

I was just thinking the same thing about planes. With todays technology you would think it would be easy to find.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, i dont see how we dont lose points at some point these next few weeks. With all the injuries we will be lucky to limp across the finish in 4th.

Kane/Son/Dele are huge misses for you.

You basically need to keep Erikson in an oxygen chamber and wrap him in cotton wool. And to make Lucas go on an etiquette course and hope he hits some kind of form.

Now I kind of feel bad for Llorente not being able to go back to Spain. Wasn't he set for Bilbao at the end of December?

You'll end up in the CL for sure, but need to not totally collapse. I think Poch can rally what's left into a tight unit though, less expansive but a hard team to beat that'll chug through some tight games.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Sala thing is absolutely terrible.

"Pace and power" discussion feels complex to me: it's a stereotype that black players are more athletic, and it leads to some lazy comps (it's an ongoing joke in covering US draft prospects that writers won't make cross-racial comparisons) but, just on average, it...seems true? To take an example from American sports, which tend to be even more reliant on athleticism, NFL positions like running back are 95+% African-American (the most extreme example: there hasn't been a white cornerback to play in the NFL since 2002). Black athletes do seem to be overrepresented on the frontier of speed/strength/size.

That's not to downplay any player's skill level, or excuse those who do. It's clear "power and pace" is often a crutch for analysts etc. who haven't actually watched a player play. On the other hand, getting to the point where we're pretending to be befuddled by Pogba being considered a better athlete than Andre Gomes doesn't seem like an improvement in accuracy.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Now I kind of feel bad for Llorente not being able to go back to Spain. Wasn't he set for Bilbao at the end of December?

Yeah i believe he was supposed to be gone by now. I kinda felt bad for him last game too during that own goal. I imagine he is gonna be under serious pressure going forward. After that og i saw the Facebook forums and Twitter practically calling for his head. I was hoping he would score the winner to get people to chill a bit.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i believe he was supposed to be gone by now. I kinda felt bad for him last game too during that own goal. I imagine he is gonna be under serious pressure going forward. After that og i saw the Facebook forums and Twitter practically calling for his head. I was hoping he would score the winner to get people to chill a bit.

He's in an impossible position. He wanted to go home. Spurs fans don't particularly like him anyway. And now he has to fill in for Sir Harry Kane OBE Saviour of Tottenham during a period they're missing a few key creative players.

Sala thing is absolutely terrible.

"Pace and power" discussion feels complex to me: it's a stereotype that black players are more athletic, and it leads to some lazy comps (it's an ongoing joke in covering US draft prospects that writers won't make cross-racial comparisons) but, just on average, it...seems true? To take an example from American sports, which tend to be even more reliant on athleticism, NFL positions like running back are 95+% African-American (the most extreme example: there hasn't been a white cornerback to play in the NFL since 2002). Black athletes do seem to be overrepresented on the frontier of speed/strength/size.

That's not to downplay any player's skill level, or excuse those who do. It's clear "power and pace" is often a crutch for analysts etc. who haven't actually watched a player play. On the other hand, getting to the point where we're pretending to be befuddled by Pogba being considered a better athlete than Andre Gomes doesn't seem like an improvement in accuracy.

I think the argument is that is used in place of also praising their technical abilities being the issue. Basically saying BAME are just physical beings and lack the mental/technical aspects of the game.

Let's say Yaya Toure at City. He absolutely had pace and power; that's true, he was a "beast", but a lot of punditry also failed to mentioned his reading of the game and his passing abilities.

Pogba is a better example of this specific thing while being an excellent athlete who does possess 'pace and power', his strongest attributes are his technical ones in his dribbling, passing and reading of the game. It does him a disservice to just label him a physical powerhouse.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Pogba is a better example of this specific thing while being an excellent athlete who does possess 'pace and power', his strongest attributes are his technical ones in his dribbling, passing and reading of the game. It does him a disservice to just label him a physical powerhouse.

But does Pogba really not get credit for his skills? I hear Pogba praised constantly for his skill level and creativity. Though it seems like the bottom-of-the-barrel football media members don't make it across to America, so I may be missing the most flagrant 20% of discussion.

I dunno, I don't really disagree with what you're saying overall. I'm just cautious because public consensus on these things shifts so quickly from "we should try to be nuanced and accurate in good faith" (agreed!) to "talking about how athletic Pogba is is by default coded racism, go pick up your copy of the Daily Mail." It's not like the Sterling situation where there was no signal underneath the racist garbage -- Pogba is genuinely very athletic, as was Toure whenever he deigned to run, and that's an important part of his game.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
But does Pogba really not get credit for his skills? I hear Pogba praised constantly for his skill level and creativity. Though it seems like the bottom-of-the-barrel football media members don't make it across to America, so I may be missing the most flagrant 20% of discussion.

I dunno, I don't really disagree with what you're saying overall. I'm just cautious because public consensus on these things shifts so quickly from "we should try to be nuanced and accurate in good faith" (agreed!) to "talking about how athletic Pogba is is by default coded racism, go pick up your copy of the Daily Mail." It's not like the Sterling situation where there was no signal underneath the racist garbage -- Pogba is genuinely very athletic, as was Toure whenever he deigned to run, and that's an important part of his game.
There is no denying that pogba is powerful, has some pace and is athletic. Its that those are most often the default words used to describe both him and other black players. He is simply one example of it.

Asian players are also always blessed with a crazy work rate and lifetime supply of duracells, but are also so much more.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
There is no denying that pogba is powerful, has some pace and is athletic. Its that those are most often the default words used to describe both him and other black players. He is simply one example of it.

Asian players are also always blessed with a crazy work rate and lifetime supply of duracells, but are also so much more.

To be fair, that was specifically Park, and was very true.

You don't see Son / Kagawa being painted with that brush and they're the two most prominent Asian players aside from Park.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
Awful news about Sala, hoping for the best but expecting the worst :(

Well that's Spurs buggered, you can't just lose three key players like that. At least Son will be back in a few weeks but the damage could be done. Guess we'll see

Status
Not open for further replies.