• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The big one I covered is probably Silent Hill Origins:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Here you can see how Duke Forever changed into the trash it turned into.

2001 got leaked and I wish it was the version we got.

Looks so much more fun than the version we got. Not to mention the more serious tone that had more horror is what Duke should have stayed as instead of the trashy and disgusting "comedic" version we have now.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022

Looks so much more fun than the version we got. Not to mention the more serious tone that had more horror is what Duke should have stayed as instead of the trashy and disgusting "comedic" version we have now.

Come on, Duke 3d did not have a serious tone.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
No, Leon starts out the game with it, and loses it early on.
No, it's not the same jacket
Resident-Evil-4-Video-Game-Leon-S-Kennedy-Jacket03.jpg

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
"Hunt: Showdown" started as "Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age" A Free To Play, 4 player co-op, PVE, third person action game with randomised maps and (rumoured) open world elements.

It was heavily changed into a "tactical PvPvE first-person shooter"

Interestingly enough, the third person Gilded Age game was re-worked and it formed the basis of Remnant: From The Ashes

Oct 27, 2017
Always love reminding people that we saw FF7 Remake Gameplay in 2015 at PSX when Cyber Connect 2 was still tied to it.

www.youtube.com

PlayStation Experience 2015: Final Fantasy VII Remake - PSX 2015 Trailer | PS4

https://www.playstation.com/games/final-fantasy-vii-remake/?emcid=or-1s-412983FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE – PSX 2015 TrailerThey are coming back to Midgar…www.f...
I only recently played the final game and now looking back at this footage I'm actually surprised at how similar it looks to the finished game. I thought a lot more would have changed in 4+ years between this and release. Especially with the change of developer.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Maybe not so drastic, but you can see from the Doom Alpha the state of the various systems such as weapons, enemy AI, lighting, before the game shipped

Oct 28, 2017
interesting that there were lots of mentions of RE3.5/RE4 and not RE1.5/RE2. elza instead of claire, persistent wear and blood on clothing, etc. the early police station looked more like a modern police station as well

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The first and second Twilight Princess trailers show a ton of stuff that changed significantly from release. It's wild to me how much Nintendo must leave on the cutting room floor every release

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
interesting that there were lots of mentions of RE3.5/RE4 and not RE1.5/RE2. elza instead of claire, persistent wear and blood on clothing, etc. the early police station looked more like a modern police station as well

It's mostly because RE1.5 and 2 are still the same style of game, RE3.5 and 4 aren't, that's why it's more "infamous"

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from RE 3.5...

I always wanted this combo command based strategy system that the E3 trailer teased for FFXIII. (0:26-0:35)

The "gameplay" part of the trailer is fucking hysterical in retrospective. Like look at her doing three cartwheels and everything exploding, and then look at this hallway!

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Although the Warhawk that released was one of my favorite games of all time... I also like what they showed in the original concept, which was single player...like the original PSX version.

warhawk-ps3-20060508080908314.jpg

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
The original footage of Paper Mario on the 3DS that resembled the original games immediately springs to mind"

Paper Mario is such a bummer these days. It's like a giant middle finger to everyone who loved the original games.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
This one still hurts. I want to play this alternate universe version of BioShock Infinite so damn bad.

The thing is, I don't think the original version of BI would ever have actually existed as a retail product. It was clearly way too ambitious and overscoped and they had to cut so much to make it into a feasible product that they could actually release. Didn't they basically bring Rod Fergusson in for this exact purpose? To turn what they were doing into an actual game?

If that hadn't happened, I don't think the game would ever have actually released and you'd end up with the same situation as whatever the hell Ken Levine is doing at his new studio now.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017

This is the one that comes to mind for me because it was the first time I can remember seeing a game go through such a drastic change from first look to final release.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017

Tomb Raider: Ascension (an early version of what ended up becoming Tomb Raider 2013). It was a lot more horror-focused, almost like a Dead Space style action-horror vibe. They were also intending to have large open-ended levels and huge beasts you could mount and kill ICO-style.

It's always exciting to look at what could've been, and it's likely there were a lot of design problems at play, or maybe it just got boring or whatever, but the concept art for this version in specific is so striking.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
The early versions of Twilight Princess had a lot of content which was cut from the final. Different dungeons and enemies, a different art style for the Twilight world, etc. I was so hyped for it as a kid and wound up a bit disappointed upon release, even if the final game wasn't actually THAT different from what the original trailers showed.

Some highlights from the trailers include the Moblin from Wind Waker making an appearance, the Gohma fight being substantially different, and more:

11.jpg

images

images

1471057842-4087724122.jpg

There's a lot more to be seen if you look into it. Pretty cool! I dont have much to back it up, but I also feel like the original intention for the game was for it to be a bit darker than it was upon release. Who knows though!

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021

there was a videogame tv channel in the UK that ran this gameplay for gamecube kameo constantly and it i thought it looked sick. have always been disappointed by how simplified the final game was

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017

Funny how at one point Duke Nukem Forever was going to be an immersive sim.
It's like the devs played System Shock 2 and thought "we need to put all of this in our game."

(Still would've been 100x better than the dumpster fire we got a decade later)

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The first one that pops into my mind is the early version of Resident Evil 4. Even before this version of RE4 in the video, the game was supposed to have the Devil may cry gameplay, but they ended up scrapping that and making Devil may cry into its own franchise.

Edit:
Apparently, this was one of the first concepts of Resident Evil 4 before it turned into Devil May Cry.
USe_Y2bKtQ8u9YrvIswiw_HZbI5ONLBsjr7Fz_067co.jpg

Came to post and talk about both of these. Love it.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Adventures of Captain Blood.

How the game looked like when it was announced in 2004:

And after about three reboots I think, here is how it looked like in its gold master version in 2010:

I specify 'gold master' because while the game was finished and even went to printing, due to a lawsuit it never got an official release. Although devs did leak online much later the build as nobody is going to release nowadays a 2010 PC/X360 game.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Nico was an online co-op game that eventually turned into the single-player Shadow of the Colossus:

There's also Ico when it was first made for the PS1 before moving to the PS2: