• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
extremely impressive visuals

the gameplay segments probably weren't that engaging though, I imagine.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Why do you think so many of these studios sell out to large publishers? Being acquired often eliminates so many headaches, and so much time, for indie developers.

Check out the NoClip on Arkane Studios if you haven't already, especially the pre-Bethesda segments. It's amazing they survived that era of pitching and losing projects.

Oh I get that. I am just curious how much money we talking.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
xnP5uHz.gif

I want this game.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
I do not understand how could Del Toro be involved in Death Stranding. I would truly despise any video game related thing in his place. I would tell my agent to pick up the phone like "This is Del Toro's agent, if you want him to work on a video game, fuck off. How can I help you?" Poor guy is cursed.

Edit: He didn't work on DS. I wonder why.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
"Let me know in the comments if you want to see full playthroughs of the various sections".

I don't think he needs anyone to tell him that. Visually, that was very impressive.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Damn, this actually looked good for it's time.

What a shame it never came out.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That looks surprisingly good for X360. The likenesses in particular I feel like were way beyond anything else trying that at the time (in game at least). Something about the lighting and camera too feel really unique and natural.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
The tech looks super impressive. But as much as I love LOTR I'm not sure how another straight adaption would have been worth it, so soon after the others too. Also LEGO LoTR might have been in development when they showed this ? With today's tech, though, it might be worth it.

Not that Shadow Of Mordor is a worthy effort, though. Overall this franchise deserves so much better.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
If 2:14 isn't made into a gif, then what even is the point of all this?

Without checking I'm going to bet this is Frodo "resisting putting the ring on".
It's gold.

But honestly it looks very very good for a 2009 demo and a lotr game like that would have sold like hot cakes back then.
It's baffling we never got proper games based on the trilogy.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
This is just too depressing to think of

Seriously amazing looking demo, and they had all the right motivation to follow through with the game

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
O LORD! (of the rings)

Ok, so now I have a new most wanted game of all time.

Seriously can we make this now for PS5? Contact me, i'll jump on this hard.

Considering we never got his Hobbit or At the Mountains of Madness films, I think he's just plain cursed.
Del Toro Hobbit movie is also my most wanted film... I feel like they could make it again right?!

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry, but wasn't the point of the video it was a pitch for a Hobbit game, therefore Lord of the Rings game was never cancelled cause it wasn't a thing.

Maybe rework the OP.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but wasn't the point of the video it was a pitch for a Hobbit game, therefore Lord of the Rings game was never cancelled cause it wasn't a thing.

Maybe rework the OP.

Also it's a real stretch to say Jackson and Del Toro were "involved". They heard the pitch and said "Neat!", and maybe only Del Toro on that point.

Also the Hobbit game wasn't "canceled" either, it was never greenlit despite PJ and Del Toro's blessings. Honestly OP did you watch this thing haha

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Was Del Toro involved, though? He was shown the game because he was set to direct The Hobbit. The video doesnt mention him being involved with the game at all aside from saying he liked the demo they made.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish more devs could come out and show their failed pitches directly instead of being found in some Dev kit hard drive 20 years later without any direct context. Or worse just get completely lost to time.

Oct 30, 2017
I feel that LotR is really underused in gaming.
Not so much for us old farts. The Hobbit on the speccy seemed to be owned by everyone - for those of us used to text based adventures (go west) the slowly rendering graphics were cool though you'd laugh at it now. And it was a lot more tolerant of natural English iirc. There were follow ups through the 80s that I don't remember.
Then came the PC Lord of the ring RPG games, two volumes - I had the first. I remember them being a big improvement (seamless map?) on the other RPGs at the time. At least the Ultima games, which I was into. It was after this it went quiet for some reason.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not so much for us old farts. The Hobbit on the speccy seemed to be owned by everyone - for those of us used to text based adventures (go west) the slowly rendering graphics were cool though you'd laugh at it now. And it was a lot more tolerant of natural English iirc. There were follow ups through the 80s that I don't remember.
Then came the PC Lord of the ring RPG games, two volumes - I had the first. I remember them being a big improvement (seamless map?) on the other RPGs at the time. At least the Ultima games, which I was into. It was after this it went quiet for some reason.

I had two gba games.
I felt like back in the day there were many games but nowadays it is barely represented.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
They made LEGO Lord of the Rings, which was fantastic and so I don't really miss this game not being picked up. As the dev himself said he wasn't particularly sad about it for reasons that made complete sense to me.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Feel kind of bad for Travellers Tale, they obviously wanted to do a lot more mature products, but got pigeonholed into Lego games for a decade and a half.

The Inventor

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't just about Del Toro...this game looked absolutely brilliant! I mean, really, really good stuff.
The art direction is fantastic.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Even the LEGO Hobbit game didn't end up getting DLC for the final movie, so we never got a game that took place during the whole Hobbit movie series. :(

Feel like everything involved with that series was doomed.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Man that looked really great, especially for its time. Now I want to play this, just look at Gandalf fighting the Balrog.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
A retelling of the movies for next gen would be pretty great, i am not sure why WB is against that idea when everyone loved the old LOTR tie in games by EA.