• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Looks fantastic :( Weta, and Del Toro were involved, and it costed over a million dollars to make.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
tenor.gif

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
A one million dollar pitch damn. This makes me wonder how much some companies spent on just pitching/brainstorming ideas.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
For those who can't watch:

They pitched for a Hobbit tie-in to the movies but it almost materialized as a LOTR game. (4 playable maps and 5 tech demos)
Both PJ and Del Toro liked it.
Warner Bros didn't, they wanted a game that would be parallel to the main story rather than a retelling of the movies. (hence the Shadow of Mordor games)

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy impressive, damn.

Not sure how well this would translate to an actual game though, considering the appeal is dependent on a lot of movie footage to work. Using movie footage in licensed games was always iffy.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
The graphics and cutscene -> gameplay transitions look INSANE but man does this feel like it suffers from the same problem a lot of 360/PS3 games suffered from: a massive overabundance of QTE's. Most of the footage looked like some form of QTE.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It looks pretty good visually for the 360 but that's it, nothing special enough for a viable pitch. Any developer with a budget could've done this if they thought a LotR game was viable at the time as the ideas in this are the definition of standard game design at the time.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks really really impressive but looked more like trying to recreate movie scenes vs making a fun game to play tbh. There were some really well regarded games for the second and third movies so I can see why WB didnt necessarily want a game about those to tie in with the Hobbit releases.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
this could be great with polished gameplay.

the dude wants to post a full playthrough haha.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
This looks super impressive for being made as a demo / on a small budget / for the year it was made in.

Game development is ez!!

It really isn't, I'm not talking about the demo itself, but the ideas in it not being unique to make a publisher go with that instead of doing their own thing that would end up pretty similar to that or anything else that was in the market at the time.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
A one million dollar pitch damn. This makes me wonder how much some companies spent on just pitching/brainstorming ideas.

Why do you think so many of these studios sell out to large publishers? Being acquired often eliminates so many headaches, and so much time, for indie developers.

Check out the NoClip on Arkane Studios if you haven't already, especially the pre-Bethesda segments. It's amazing they survived that era of pitching and losing projects.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It really isn't, I'm not talking about the demo itself, but the ideas in it not being unique to make a publisher go with that instead of doing their own thing that would end up pretty similar to that or anything else that was in the market at the time.

So don't say 'Any developer with a budget could've done this' - this is Traveller's Tales.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I'm really curious how Amazon Studios LotR RPG turns out.

Its an MMORPG, right?
Im all in for LotR Open World games. Love to explore the sceneries/world. The Middle-Earth games didnt offer.much in that regard. Everything looked mosty the same and it was mostly mordor without many interessting locations from the books/movies.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I watched the video earlier, Del Toro and Weta wasn't involved. He and Peter Jackson gave their blessing for Travelers Tales to make a game based on the then upcoming Hobbit movie.

The video is of footage that TT made for the pitch they showed to them. Which is impressive. I knew Lego games made a lot of bank, but I didn't realise they made so much that the team could afford to blow $1,000,000 on a pitch with assets that would never be used in the full game.

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
The demos look really impressive from a graphical point of view.
Not at all interested in playing a 1 for 1 retelling of the movies though.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I thought meh looks poor imagining targeting PS4 then when found out it was xbox 360 - wow that was really impressive at that time

hopefully he posts more of complete playthroughs which he mentioned at the end of video (if enough interest so I liked and subscribed)