• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Guns freak me out, I don't want them in the house but i'd be lying if I said I didn't entertain the notion of buying a shotgun. I don't trust these people to not go purge on me because of hand sanitizer

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Because what matters is the degree to which it makes you "less safe." If owning a car involves a bet against the odds every time you merge onto the highway, then what matters is the degree of actual danger, which we perceive to be more than acceptable. It's well worth the trade to own a car. It's the same story for most of these people who squirrel away a few guns, know how to handle them, and generally don't build their entire identity around being an open carry cowboy. We're talking about tens of millions of households that find this to be a worthwhile trade. The statement "owning a gun makes you less safe" is a spurious statement because the opposite can never realistically be true. For it to be true, we'd need basically no rule of law aka whatever apocalyptic scenario you want to dream up.

I have a lot of respect for the poster that said they didn't want a gun in the house because they might use it to commit suicide. Not everyone should own a gun and I wish the laws were a lot tighter. Strict regulation is a minor annoyance for a big jump in safety.

Again, this false equivalency around cars gets used again and again and it doesn't stop it from being false. The entire purpose for the existence of firearms is to kill things. The entire purpose of a car is not to kill things. The other issue I have with your take is "people think it's well worth the risks to own a car". This is true. "It's the same story for people who squirrel away a few guns", this is not true. We as a society take the risks into account when it comes to vehicles, however, there are fewer and fewer households that own firearms in the United States. There is real polling that shows that people are in favor of stricter gun control. And yet, we have people like you who muddy the water with semantic arguments to try to defend these fucking morons who are buying up ammo as if it's World War Z. People don't agree on firearms, people agree on cars.

I don't feel like continuing to engage you on this as it's clear you think throwing around semantic arguments to be a shield against real criticisms of this type of behavior. Stop legitimizing, stop justifying and stop defending this shit. It's gross and it will kill people.

Seemed like a good time to do it lol.

So you gave absolutely no thought. Wonderful.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
As a gun owner, there are millions of people who really should not have any. I don't see any path to getting them away from those people though, and the more who buy them the harder it gets.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Out of my own morbid curiosity, what's the retail price on a hand gun? Asault rifle?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be totally honest I gave real thought to going out to get one too. Fear is a hell of a drug.

20479.jpg

This is my home defense. All I have is a 55lb recurve and some decent target arrows. Also a big dog.

giphy.gif

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
So along with medicine, baby formula, cleaning supplies, and formula, Americans are lining up to get ready for real life Resident Evil

So what are YOU doing to upgrade your 'ol home defense while we're all under quarantine?

For the record, my home is gun-free. Can't say the same for my neighbors.
that 2nd source @'ing cernovich has ...uh...quite the timeline.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
People really do think like they are playing some fucking video game or watching a movie eh? Just waiting for their fucking end of civilization moment where their hordes of TP and gun magazines saves them while everyone else perishes.

Dec 24, 2017
I really think these people want to shoot anyone with the sniffles. It's disturbing. Showing off their tac gear on line. Like yeah, I own that shit too, but I'm spending the time getting high with my partner binge watching Top Chef, not prepping to put rounds in sick people.

And this is coming from someone who owns a lot of guns and has thousands of rounds in his home

Pollux

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Again, this false equivalency around cars gets used again and again and it doesn't stop it from being false. The entire purpose for the existence of firearms is to kill things. The entire purpose of a car is not to kill things. The other issue I have with your take is "people think it's well worth the risks to own a car". This is true. "It's the same story for people who squirrel away a few guns", this is not true. We as a society take the risks into account when it comes to vehicles, however, there are fewer and fewer households that own firearms in the United States. There is real polling that shows that people are in favor of stricter gun control. And yet, we have people like you who muddy the water with semantic arguments to try to defend these fucking morons who are buying up ammo as if it's World War Z. People don't agree on firearms, people agree on cars.

I don't feel like continuing to engage you on this as it's clear you think throwing around semantic arguments to be a shield against real criticisms of this type of behavior. Stop legitimizing, stop justifying and stop defending this shit. It's gross and it will kill people.

So you gave absolutely no thought. Wonderful.

no. There was plenty of thought. I didn't have a single shot revolver, and I needed one. And I was doing it within the next month so why not now? Seemed as good of a time as any.

I'm worried about police getting sick. Call centers not responding. We already saw Portland police say there only responding to life threatening emergencies. I got rid of my guns when I moved a while ago. I am now buying again. I wanted a gun that I can load an not worry about when it sits in my nightstand or coffee table for weeks. So I got my Ruger.

Rex Griswold

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think anyone's "planning to shoot anyone with the sniffles", I think people are choosing to be ready in the off chance that the police can't help you if someone decides that they'll take advantage of first responders being swamped.

Think what you want, but if my neighbors aren't getting high in their car(with a line of sight to me) when I'm moving mine out of the driveway so my wife can just go in the morning, my P99 comes out the door with me. I've heard of one too many muggings within a few miles of me.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
Is this to prepare for defense in case things turn worse, or to prepare to being able to steal other people resources if things go worse?

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I own 3 guns. This is dumb. I was actually supposed to go to the gun shop yesterday to pick up my compound bow, which I'm having restrung (they have an Archery department as well). Assumed that it would be a madhouse in there, and ended up skipping that.

Out of my own morbid curiosity, what's the retail price on a hand gun? Asault rifle?

Cheap-ish. You can get a decent sub-compact semiautomatic handgun for as little as a couple hundred dollars.

You can get something on the AR platform for as cheap as like $500, too. Might not be the best model, but if you pull the trigger, it will go boom, and a dangerous tiny object will fly out of the business end.

Restrictions vary by state. They have pretty sensible laws here in NJ. You have to have a permit to purchase a handgun, and you need to apply at your local police station for those. Can take a few weeks sometimes. The dealer will have to run you through an "instant" background check at the point of sale, to make sure you haven't committed any felonies between the time the police issued your permit and the point of sale. You need to go through that process for each handgun you buy (though you can apply for 2 permits at the same time).

For ANY gun, you have to have a Firearms purchaser ID card. You also get this through the police, and they do a background check. This card allows you to purchase ammunition, and any "long" gun (rifles or shotguns). You don't need a permit for each individual long gun, but you DO still have to do the check at the point of sale.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
come on guys it's obvious that they need the guns so they can get the toilet paper by any means necessary.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Owning a firearm makes you more likely to be shot. It doesn't make sense at all.

I'm 100% for a complete ban on firearms, or at least some heavily regulated restrictions, but I hate this argument.

Like no shit your chances of being shot are higher with a gun, just look at the suicide rates. It's as stupid an argument as the "owning a car makes you more likely to get in a car accident".

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
You can get used 9mm/45 hi-points for $100-120 or any POS saturday night special tho they arnt the most ideal option. $200-300 will get you more higher quality budget ones, surplus stuff or the lower end of police trade ins. REAL "Assault Rifles" will run you $10,000+ and involve a lot of red tape. Semi-auto rifles like the AR15 can be gotten for as low as $375-500 for entry ones.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I think some people are misinterpreting the rush to get ammo. In most cases, it isn't to be ready for people trying to steal their toilet paper and hand sanitizer. As mentioned earlier, if there is any whiff of there being a run on ammo, people go nuts and stock up on it.

I sold ammo for years at the store I worked for. These crazy ammo runs can be caused by anything. In this case, people likely see everything selling out, and it caused the ever-common run on ammo.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
People expect society to break down so they plan on killing their neighbors.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I will wait for someone who used to sell water to explain why people are buying water in the face of a crisis before coming to any conclusions.

Others have also explained ammo runs, but go ahead and keep thinking it's to kill neighbors. 🙄

Ammo hoarding is extremely common, and happens all the time.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Ammo prices tend to be extremely volatile. As mentioned if theres a hint of shortages people will buy stuff up and stockpile similarly to anything else in a crisis situation. They dont want to have to worry about not finding 9mm in a few months or even a year in some cases or be forced to spend $30 on a normal $9 box of ammo. People still want to be able to train, hunt, goto the range and just have something put away. Its really not about them thinking their going to blow someone away.

Oct 27, 2017
Others have also explained ammo runs, but go ahead and keep thinking it's to kill neighbors. 🙄

Ammo hoarding is extremely common, and happens all the time.

But why are they hoarding ammo?

It's either to be able to kill many things, to kill things for a long time, or to resell at increased prices to someone who wants to do one of the former.

Ammo prices tend to be extremely volatile. As mentioned if theres a hint of shortages people will buy stuff up and stockpile similarly to anything else in a crisis situation. They dont want to have to worry about not finding 9mm in a few months or even a year in some cases or be forced to spend $30 on a normal $9 box of ammo. People still want to be able to train, hunt, goto the range and just have something put away. Its really not about them thinking their going to blow someone away.

This doesnt apply to any of the people I know who hoard guns/ammo. Where it is explicitly doomsday prepping.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I don't think anyone's "planning to shoot anyone with the sniffles", I think people are choosing to be ready in the off chance that the police can't help you if someone decides that they'll take advantage of first responders being swamped.

Think what you want, but if my neighbors aren't getting high in their car(with a line of sight to me) when I'm moving mine out of the driveway so my wife can just go in the morning, my P99 comes out the door with me. I've heard of one too many muggings within a few miles of me.
I would give the person my wallet instead of shooting them. Just a suggestion.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
The boviously won't be able to hunt or go to the shooting range in case of a lockdown, so I guess they'll expect international terrorist to enter their home, if the intention is not to kill their own neighbors.