• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Not sure why someone would make a video about Doug Walker in this day and age TBH. Those types of videos had a short lifespan a decade ago and are as relevant today as a Harlem Shake.
Not sure why anyone would make a deep-dive video on an obscure "Fievel: American Tail" European shovelware game for PS2 either, but I thought Dan's video on that was pretty good too.

Dan explains his reasoning for this video pretty clearly: the contrast between the amount of effort put into making NC's The Wall contrasts starkly with the amount of thought put into it in a way that makes it a compelling and unusual conversation piece in a way that much of the rest of Doug's output does not. "The Neil Breen of Youtube reviewers" is a succinct way of putting it.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Doug somehow gets big names to guest on his videos like Don Bluth or Cree Summers. I dont get it either.

Bluth was actually scamming people to pay that Kickstarter so of course he was promoting. Of course unless I'm wrong and he actually made the pitch video which who knows at this point..lol
I agree with him mostly but I really hate this trend how all Youtube thinkpiece videos have to be like an hour long nowadays. His point could have easily been made in like 20 minutes. This video at 48 minutes is about 8 minutes longer than the video he is criticizing.
A 48 minute long Youtube review of a 40 minute long shitty Youtube parody of a 40 year old film/album.

What a time to be alive.

Yes because following the algorithm and doing what is necessary to make money is bad.

That's how youtube works. engagement length and deep dives sell if you don't like the content simply don't go into the topic just to whine and complain...

Not sure why someone would make a video about Doug Walker in this day and age TBH. Those types of videos had a short lifespan a decade ago and are as relevant today as a Harlem Shake.
It's relevant because it was a big thing on YouTube not more than a year ago. And besides if you know the relationship he used to have with Channel Awesome you'd understand that there was a connection, but you know that would actually require clicking on the video...

For theose people that are curious, it's because Mashad(?) one of the co-owners actually let Folding Ideas go because of complaints about Dan doing a expose on 8chan
I remember that rather well.

Oct 8, 2019

Doug makes enough money to pay people to do skits, had some elaborate CG for the video, and presumably paid people to write the songs. His still successful his just not on top like he was 10 years ago.

Not sure why anyone would make a deep-dive video on an obscure "Fievel: American Tail" European shovelware game for PS2 either, but I thought Dan's video on that was pretty good too.

Dan explains his reasoning for this video pretty clearly: the contrast between the amount of effort put into making NC's The Wall contrasts starkly with the amount of thought put into it in a way that makes it a compelling and unusual conversation piece in a way that much of the rest of Doug's output does not. "The Neil Breen of Youtube reviewers" is a succinct way of putting it.

Dan said that its because it was an obscure shovelware game made well over 20 years after the movie came out, and it is worth remembering it precisely because no one cared enough to put any real effort into it. The levels were a mismatch of minigames based on a property from the 80's and were too difficult for the target audience.

Dec 30, 2020
Todd In the Shadows is the only TGWTG alum I still watch on a regular basis.
I still happily watch Linkara, Phelan, Todd, Brows Held High, Obscura, and Lindsay when they put out content. ...I THINK that Lost in Adaptation was part of that group near the end?

...I've met Doug, Angry Joe, and Linkara a few times. Linkara's genuinely a sweet guy with a spectacular mental catalogue of nerdy facts.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
What. Is. Happening.
lMa84FL.jpeg

Kenji is one of my favourite foodie YouTubers. This is like worlds colliding, and I love it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I still happily watch Linkara, Phelan, Todd, Brows Held High, Obscura, and Lindsay when they put out content. ...I THINK that Lost in Adaptation was part of that group near the end?

...I've met Doug, Angry Joe, and Linkara a few times. Linkara's genuinely a sweet guy with a spectacular mental catalogue of nerdy facts.
That pretty much everyone I still watch too except add Rap Critic and Diamanda Hagan.

I especially think Phelous has really become a better watch since he started focusing more on bootlegs and dingo, golden films and other bad ripoff animation studios.

Dec 30, 2020
That pretty much everyone I still watch too except add Rap Critic and Diamanda Hagan.

I especially think Phelous has really become a better watch since he started focusing more on bootlegs and dingo, golden films and other bad ripoff animation studios.
Ah! Forgot Rap Critic! And yeah, the Phelous bootlegs are great. Those animals are sooooo stoooopeeeed.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Now we just need a critique of this critique of NC's critique of the movie, itself based on Pink Floyd's critical regard for critique of the self by the self and its societal sphere in mid-20th century Britain, and the circle will be half complete.

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017
Yes because following the algorithm and doing what is necessary to make money is bad.

That's how youtube works. engagement length and deep dives sell if you don't like the content simply don't go into the topic just to whine and complain...

It was actually a positive comment as I enjoy well written, long form YouTube content and especially Folding Ideas. Merely a reflection on the weird state of the world of internet content.

Dec 30, 2020
WAIT WHAT IN THE HELL. I watched Folding Ideas and had no idea they got freaking FENNAH to do animations for the Wall review. That makes me so sad, Fennah's work deserves better.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I watched this earlier. How the hell do you have the resources of The Nostalgia Critic and continue to phone in absolutely everything you do. The sheer commitment to lack of any kind of quality is astounding.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get sort of a weird alt-right feel from Doug's direction in this? Like some of this feels like a Ben Shapiro-style take down of a perceived leftist hypocrisy.

I always figured Doug was probably moderate in his politics, like the type who supports gay marriage and such issues, but doesn't challenge the status quo, but I wonder if he's going to double down and try to court the right.

Conservatives do seem to love having superficial surface level takes on media and getting upset when someone tries to put their politics into art. Professional conservative film critics are probably only slightly more competent than him.

Oct 27, 2017
WAIT WHAT IN THE HELL. I watched Folding Ideas and had no idea they got freaking FENNAH to do animations for the Wall review. That makes me so sad, Fennah's work deserves better.
To each their own, but based on the clips seen in Folding Ideas' video, I think they're matched pretty well. The way the fur and ears constantly move like their underwater makes me think that someone used the default settings in maya's fur / soft body physics and called it a day.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In retrospect my favorite Doug Walker videos back in the day was when he tackled obvious shit films I'd never watch myself like Animated Titanic.

That's kind of his wheelhouse.

I know people compare the two a lot but the big difference to me with AVGN is that outside of his persona he actually seems to have a lot of knowledge and appreciation for classic gaming and old movies.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I always figured Doug was probably moderate in his politics, like the type who supports gay marriage and such issues, but doesn't challenge the status quo, but I wonder if he's going to double down and try to court the right.
I swear people who worked with him describe him as a fence sitter but I could be wrong

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I swear people who worked with him describe him as a fence sitter but I could be wrong
Apparently he's been mocking BLM recently or so I saw on Twitter?

I never got a political vibe from anything he's ever done until now where this feels like weeeeird attacks on "SJW virtue signalers", except it's a band from fifty years ago.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
lol yeah, I know. It's kind of strange when I see community posts in the app. Always catches me off guard.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good video about a great album, great film, and infamous parody. Love Dan Olsen most of the time.

Interesting ideas in here about artistic expression in the post-war period contrasted with the internet-era, the nature of parody and criticism and how what you decide to parody / critique reflects just as much on you as it does the work. Also some nice breakdowns of the original films iconography and symbolism. NC seems to fall for the 'Seinfeld isn't funny' trope a lot.

Also calling Nostalgia Critic the Neil Breen of youtube is a top take.

Need to go back and rewatch The Wall, I remember enjoying it a lot last time I saw it.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
So I finished the video and holy shit at the multiple brutal takedowns of Walker. I'm impressed that he could use such a garbage review to so effectively encapsulate so much that's great about The Wall, while also still finding the time to just totally dismantle a man.

Now we just need a critique of this critique of NC's critique of the movie, itself based on Pink Floyd's critical regard for critique of the self by the self and its societal sphere in mid-20th century Britain, and the circle will be half complete.

We need Roger Waters to do it. And then we can get Gilmour to do a critique of that.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a big Pink Floyd person so I assumed Roger Waters was dead...

But dude is alive to have to watch this.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. This feels a bit like beating a dead horse? Like I wasn't aware that people took Nostalgia Critic seriously in the first place, I thought he was like AVGN where the schtick is he's real mad all the time about things. Granted I have not watched a single NC video in my life.

I'm just surprised people are putting in the effort to analyze it, but perhaps it's all more sincere than I thought.

well, the context is that the angry video game nerd predated doug walker's nostalgia critic by a couple years. walker really got started doing 5 second movies - which were little summations of films in around five seconds. nostalgia critic happened after that and followed the template established by the angry video game nerd / james rolfe. then he sorta road his coattails to success, with a couple crossover videos in the mid-late 00s that helped push walker's brand.

this was in the days of youtube, but before youtube was the thing. so walker was able to have his own website to gather content creators from all walks of the internet. over time, their craft evolved and grew. lindsay ellis is perhaps the most successful person to come from channel awesome (doug walker included), and largely due to her ability to adapt and change over time. hell, i still watch phelous and todd in the shadows.

dan olson/folding ideas was part of channel awesome too. and in the time he was there, he ran an expose on 8chan and how it was a den for pedophiles. the den of pedophiles complained to channel awesome that dan was the real pedophile, and channel awesome fired him. so there's history between dan and doug. but dan is also someone who's also grown and changed over the last decade.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
This other video was linked in the comments and watching it now I just genuinely don't understand how someone can clearly be ambitious in the ways that he is while also content to just put out the most mediocre of actual content

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York

Yeah, it's not fair. Dude got a TON of hate for the nostalgia critic video after it came out. Went and did a whole apology on twitter about feeling like a total hack because of what the actual review video turned out to be.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I needed this much exposure to the Doug Walker person but I always enjoy a fun Dan Olson video. Wish he was a little more active.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Infamously I remember him video taping himself quitting in a super dramatic, childish fashion.

I mean I don't want to defend businesses over people but I think there's a way to quit without making it into an event.
Eh. Of all the shitty, juvenile things that Doug Walker did that one I'm fine with. He was suddenly making enough money independently that he didn't need his shitty ass job anymore.

He was in his 20s and I wish I'd have that sort of moment when quiting.

We all imagine it but he did it.

Having said that, Doug Walker is an asshole and basically isn't good enough of a creator to change his format and still draw in fans. He likes to pretend because he doesn't deal with the business side of his work that makes his hands clean.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Of all the shitty, juvenile things that Doug Walker did that one I'm fine with. He was suddenly making enough money independently that he didn't need his shitty ass job anymore.

He was in his 20s and I wish I'd have that sort of moment when quiting.

We all imagine it but he did it.

Having said that, Doug Walker is an asshole and basically isn't good enough of a creator to change his format and still draw in fans. He likes to pretend because he doesn't deal with the business side of his work that makes his hands clean.
I agree, but given Dougs personality, it's atleast worth speculating whether the job/business was actually shitty or whether he was merely being petulant and dickish. Knowing the kind of person he is now, I wouldn't put it past him to have done that to a totally normal job out of either totally imagined grievances or else simply because he knew it would make for a popular internet video itself.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Dan is completely right when he said the amount of effort and time Doug put into making the video is what makes it compellingly baffling. Why make a review "parody" of the Wall in 2019? Why go through all that effort? Why use it to sell an album? Even if this was meant to be a backdoor pilot of sorts for a musical parody series, why use the Wall of all things? Especially when it's clear he doesn't have any strong connection to the material either way.
He had to have come up with the idea of doing a parody album first and then just randomly decided to use The Wall. I've never seen a review so completely disconnected from the source material in my life.
What. Is. Happening.
lMa84FL.jpeg

Kenji is one of my favourite foodie YouTubers. This is like worlds colliding, and I love it.
This is amazing

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I had no idea about any of this but HOLY shit Doug Walker is clown shoes. I've heard of the nostalgia critic but I've never watched a video.

thank god

like WOW.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching his older videos thinking "this would be better without the skits"
and then the videos started becoming 90% skits

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
just finished watching it and fuck man that felt like it was personal.