• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I was hoping to make this a more widespread project but with the stats page down (for who knows how long) I've having a hard time justifying pushing it since there's no way to track folks' progress.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Looks like the stats page is now working, and I'm (mjallemand) being throughly shamed by a few folks.

Folding@home | Statistics

Folding@home Statistics

I guess that's what happens when I'm Folding on 5 PCs but none of 'em have GPUs. (And one is practically ancient.)

Should I make a new thread as an announcement to try to get folks on board?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just made a new thread, hopefully to catch some more eyeballs.

www.resetera.com

Help science fight the Coronavirus! Join the ResetEra Folding@Home Team today and donate your computer's CPU and GPU cycles for the cause. COVID

With the announcement that the Folding@Home project will be adding the 2019-nCoV virus, otherwise known as Coronavirus, as one of their fields of research, I figure now's a better time than ever to get back into donating those spare CPU & GPU cycles. What is Folding@Home? CORONAVIRUS – WHAT...

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Has there been any evidence or papers proving this has been successful in any way?

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
My rig stays on 24/7 folding whenever it's idle. An 8700k and 1080Ti isn't THAT much power but I'm happy to devote them to a good cause.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
This is legit, right?

This isn't some stealth bitcoin mining thing, right?

Everything got me paranoid anymore.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
This makes my 4.1GHz 4770k system run really, really hot with both 3/4 CPU and max GPU on the medium setting. Had to undervolt my 1080 Ti to 900mv to manage the heat.

If you dare run this at Full, it would probably be a good idea to turn your whole system back to stock clocks. Make sure your case has good airflow as well.

IMO, just let it run on (a relatively modern) GPU is good enough. I think the heat generated from cpu vs performance is just not worth it. I limit mine to fully utilizing the gpu and only partially on cpu.

The PS4 CPU might be too weak to do such processing. The PS4 as a whole is obviously a more powerful system than the PS3 but that Cell CPU can do some extremely powerful calculation and processes and one of them is folding@home

PS4 GPU alone can beat PS3.

This is from 2007.

Folding: The Death of the General Purpose CPU

A few recent articles have highlighted the disproportionate contribution Playstation 3 consoles are making to the Folding@Home effort. The OS statistics page for Folding@Home tells the tale: TFLOPSActive CPUsTotal CPUs Windows152160,1731,626,609 Mac/PPC78,77695,435 Mac/Intel92,8647,400...
The GPU client is limited to the current high-end ATI X1800 and X1900 video cards at the moment, which are already a generation behind NVIDIA's newest 8800 series. Even so, the GPU clients are almost 2.5 times faster than the PS3. Of course, this performance differential is more than balanced by the fact that PS3 is an easily obtainible (albeit somewhat expensive) consumer item; it's trivially easy to add one to the Folding@Home network, whereas the Folding@Home GPU client is quite immature, and few users have the necessary high-end ATI video cards to use it.

But the real lesson of this chart lies in the OS X / Intel data point. Intel-based Macs are, by definition, based on only the newest Intel processors-- Core Duo or better. Even so, it's an utter blowout:

Intel Core Duo 1x
PS3 7.8x faster
GPU 18.6x faster

With these kinds of performance ratios-- and I expect the performance gap to widen every year-- there's almost no point in adding general purpose CPUs to the folding network any more. It's a waste of time, effort, and electricity.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
IMO, just let it run on (a relatively modern) GPU is good enough. I think the heat generated from cpu vs performance is just not worth it. I limit mine to fully utilizing the gpu and only partially on cpu.

PS4 GPU alone can beat PS3.

This is from 2007.

Folding: The Death of the General Purpose CPU

A few recent articles have highlighted the disproportionate contribution Playstation 3 consoles are making to the Folding@Home effort. The OS statistics page for Folding@Home tells the tale: TFLOPSActive CPUsTotal CPUs Windows152160,1731,626,609 Mac/PPC78,77695,435 Mac/Intel92,8647,400...

Hah, one of the computers I'm folding on is using a Pentium D CPU, I can't imagine how slow it must be by comparison.

But it's on all day driving a television display anyway, so may as well use it.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I really wish they never removed the PS3 version. I'd have it running almost constantly if they brought it back. The Cell processor could seriously crank out those work units compared to my PC at the time.

If they made a client for PS4/XB1 I'd run them as well.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
For the hell of it I dusted off an old Chromebook with a Baytrail Intel processor and installed Linux on it with F@H. First WU going to take 6 days lol.

OP
OP
Veliladon

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I've started to finally get COVID-19 work units and it looks like they're GPU only (core 22). I've turned off my CPU slots. My 1080 Ti and my wife's 980 Ti are pushing units at a decent clip.

High end GPU users especially, it's time to put our TFLOPs to good use.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've started to finally get COVID-19 work units and it looks like they're GPU only (core 22). I've turned off my CPU slots. My 1080 Ti and my wife's 980 Ti are pushing units at a decent clip.

High end GPU users especially, it's time to put our TFLOPs to good use.

Yeah, kinda bummed that I'm not actually doing any Covid-19 related research with my CPU-only machines, but it's all going to good causes nonetheless.

Guess I'll keep an eye out for any decent GPU deals coming down the pipeline.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Veliladon

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
What CPU? Most Intel onboard GPUs can put out at least half a teraflop, some put out just over a teraflop.

Nov 8, 2017
3643212-covid.png

I turned off the CPU tasks and I haven't had a restart yet. My GPU is hitting 106% at medium power though. It's the same at medium and full...

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
3643212-covid.png

I turned off the CPU tasks and I haven't had a restart yet. My GPU is hitting 106% at medium power though. It's the same at medium and full...

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a variable slider for GPU tasks, it's either "on" or "off".

One thing immediately noticeable in Web Control is the Folding Power Slider bar. The slider controls how much system resources Folding@home uses. Adjust this level at anytime and the software will automatically reconfigure itself. There are three predefined power configurations allowing you to easily customize Folding@home performance from low to maximum. Click and drag the slider as needed.

Here is what it looks like:

WCPowerSlider.png

The Power slider has three positions and two running options:
  • Light
    • CPU is Folding at half speed, GPU Folding is off.
  • Medium
    • CPU is Folding at three-quarter speed. GPU Folding is on. This is the default setting, and recommended for most users.
  • Full
    • CPU is Folding at full speed. GPU Folding is on. This is the most productive setting. Will cause fans to run faster and may produce more heat.
  • While I'm working
    • Folding is enabled to run at all times, based on the slider position.
  • Only when idle
    • Folding starts only when the system has not been used for several minutes.
Note: The software uses several different methods to determine if the system is idle. In Windows, if there's no user input on the mouse or keyboard for a while (the exact timing depends on the system's configuration) the power management settings can turn off the monitor, or Windows can decide that it's in "away mode", whichever comes first, and folding while idle starts. In Mac OS X, the system is idle if there's no user activity for around five minutes. In Linux, the screensaver and a lack of user input are used to determine idleness.
More details of these settings are provided in the V7 Intermediate page.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
What CPU? Most Intel onboard GPUs can put out at least half a teraflop, some put out just over a teraflop.

The PCs I'm folding on are all over the place, ranging from a 15-year old Pentium D, a 10-year old Core 2 Quad, a 5-year old Intel i5, two Pentium "G4600", and a Ryzen 3 2200G that I just built plus a few-years old AMD A8 APU-based pre-built.

The Ryzen 3's onboard GPU actually seems to be folding, and the A8's GPU tried, but ran into an error, but that's about it. Nothing else seems to be compatible, or at least wasn't recognized as a GPU automatically by the F@H software.

Last edited:

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
What sort of WU rate/prediction are people getting with Zen 2s?

I'm not back in the UK until June time so can't do anything myself, but I love how much of a bug pushing for maximum folding efficiency is!

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Downloaded and joined, anybody's web client timing out on them? How's everyone's CPU temps? Mine's running a little high at 160F-180F (71C-82C).

Nevermind, I'm dumb, didn't allow it through noscript.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Haven't folded in years. Time to put this 9900k/2080 Ti to work.

I feel like I'm really stressing my PC, even though GPUs are usually at max load while playing games anyway. It's just something we usually don't think about while gaming.

Last edited:

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen COVID-19 WU's assigned to my GTX-680

I'm wondering if that's actually any help or not :|