• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
FOLDING@HOME TAKES UP THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 / 2019-NCOV

2019-nCoV is a close cousin to SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV), and acts in a similar way. For both coronaviruses, the first step of infection occurs in the lungs, when a protein on the surface of the virus binds to a receptor protein on a lung cell. This viral protein is called the spike protein, depicted in red in the image below, and the receptor is known as ACE2. A therapeutic antibody is a type of protein that can block the viral protein from binding to its receptor, therefore preventing the virus from infecting the lung cell. A therapeutic antibody has already been developed for SARS-CoV, but to develop therapeutic antibodies or small molecules for 2019-nCoV, scientists need to better understand the structure of the viral spike protein and how it binds to the human ACE2 receptor required for viral entry into human cells.

This is where you come in! With many computers working towards the same goal, we aim to develop a therapeutic remedy as quickly as possible. By downloading Folding@home here [LINK], you can help provide us with the computational power required to tackle this problem. One protein from 2019-nCoV, a protease encoded by the viral RNA, has already been crystallized. Although the 2019-nCoV spike protein of interest has not yet been resolved bound to ACE2, our objective is to use the homologous structure of the SARS-CoV spike protein to identify therapeutic antibody targets.

Let's do this, people!

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this was still available on PS4 like it was on PS3.

I'm downloading this. I'm going to fold a few molecules

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I installed it on PC, but I dont see the option to fold for Covid19?

Xia

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Seeing how I keep my computer on all the time, might as well download it.

OP
OP
Veliladon

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I installed it on PC, but I dont see the option to fold for Covid19?
They're still getting it worked out in the client for the option. There are work units going out to model similar SARS proteins at the moment and more COVID-19 should be coming online shortly.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
not on Android?

i could leave my phone crunching data all day while working, sucks thats not apparently possible.
Bah, that sucks. BOINC is an android folding app that works with a lot of science projects, but Folding isn't one of them.

And it looks like Folding doesn't have its own android app either.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how I keep my computer on all the time, might as well download it.
I'm all for people willing to donate their CPU time and electrical bill to good causes, but with how electricity is charged here (peak hours, on demand charges, etc) and the fact that my PC can pull wattage similar to my dishwasher means I can't afford to leave it going 24/7 on something like this.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to take part (probably letting my PC run overnight, off-peak) but can I customize F@H so my 6700K fan doesn't sound like a jet engine? (limiting/throttling the CPU load, in other words)

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
www.resetera.com

Scientists crowdsource finding the cure to COVID-19 COVID

If you want to get involved, here’s how: https://www.geekwire.com/2020/university-washington-coronavirus-puzzle-game-aims-crowdsource-cure/ The director of the IPD is world famous, I think he’s probably gonna win a Nobel prize soon for basically creating the field of de novo protein design...

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
This is the first time I heard of this being available outside of PS3. Installing it at the speed of light!

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I ran this on my PS3 so much during droughts, wish I could do the same on my PS4.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The processor in the PS3 was a much more specialty part compared to the rather off-the-shelf hardware (by comparison) in the PS4. It'd be nice if the F@H software worked for the PS4 as well, but there isn't as much reason to get that working when it's not capable of nearly as much, I suppose.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Man I used to run this night and day on my launch PS3. I'll join the Era team when I get home.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I used folding@home to impress dates back in the day.

I'll download this on my PC. I still have no idea how it works but if it's helpful I'll be happy to help.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Not being an asshole. Is this data really useful for scientists? Either way I am gonna do this now.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Cool I will install F@H and join sometime this week. 9900K should be fine I'm assuming? I usually run it in Speed-Step/Speed-Shift mode so I hope that won't affect their results too much.

Oct 25, 2017
This makes my 4.1GHz 4770k system run really, really hot with both 3/4 CPU and max GPU on the medium setting. Had to undervolt my 1080 Ti to 900mv to manage the heat.

If you dare run this at Full, it would probably be a good idea to turn your whole system back to stock clocks. Make sure your case has good airflow as well.

EGM92

Nov 16, 2017
Has there ever been any breakthroughs or any advancements archived with Folding@Home? I used to run it on my ps3 when it first launched but just stopped after a few months.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I wish this was still available on PS4 like it was on PS3.

I'm downloading this. I'm going to fold a few molecules

The PS4 CPU might be too weak to do such processing. The PS4 as a whole is obviously a more powerful system than the PS3 but that Cell CPU can do some extremely powerful calculation and processes and one of them is folding@home