• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Scott Cawthon decided to troll as usual today by posting some bad news about the FNAF movie on the subreddit (scroll to the bottom for the "bad news"):

Hi everyone.

Before we get to the bad news concerning the state of the Five Nights at Freddy's movie, I wanted to share a brief history of the FNAF screenplay. It's been a long road, so let's take a look at some of the screenplays that have come and gone over the years, in no particular order. (Or, feel free to skip to the end really quick to see the bad news, and then come back and enjoy the list!) ;)

Some of these came from big studios, some from big directors, some from me, and some from other hired writers. I gave the screenplays a name, and I'll include a brief synopsis, as well as what ultimately led to each screenplay being rejected.

Let's get started!

----

The "F" screenplay

Basic Setup: Group of teenage trouble-makers break into Freddy's; chaos ensues

Problems: Although a pretty basic setup, there were a lot of odd choices here, which only got weirder as the story continued. The story ended with our protagonists in a secret underground animatronic factory that was designing robots for the government. -___-

Verdict: WT@#$@ Strayed way too far from source material! Tossed.

----

The "Plushies Take Manhattan" screenplay

Basic Setup: Plushies take Manhattan.

Problems: Plushies took Manhattan

Verdict: Burned with fire.

----

The "Random Charlie" screenplay

Basic Setup: Charlie and friends sneak into Freddy's after-hours to retrieve a lost toy.

Problems: Although sharing names of familiar characters from the series, these characters had nothing to do with their game and book counterparts. So, while featuring familiar elements of the games, it seemed too "loosely based" on the game, and lost a lot of its impact because of it.

Verdict: Felt like a random bag of FNAF elements with no real stakes. Meh.

----

The "Silver Eyes" screenplay(s)

Basic Setup: Kira and I both worked on three versions of a Silver Eyes screenplay over the course of about a year, trying to find the right approach to the story from the first book.

Problems: These were the first attempts I made myself to write a screenplay after realizing it was going to be difficult to find someone else who understood the lore well enough to do it. Unfortunately, it also meant these screenplays suffered greatly from my inexperience at writing. Even Kira, with her writing expertise, couldn't save them.

Verdict: Although these had some good elements, I ultimately decided to focus on making a screenplay from the games and not from the books.

----

The "Pawn Shop" screenplay

Basic Setup: A kid who watches after a pawn shop finds trouble when an animatronic is brought in. It turns out Freddy's had been robbed, and the animatronics were taken to different locations for sale. The other animatronics come to retrieve the one at the Pawn Shop, and the kid and his friends get roped into adventure.

Problems: A creative approach, but felt a little too much like "a boy and his animatronic". Too much after-school adventure, not enough horror.

Verdict: Seemed like a good idea at the time.

----

The "Cassidy" screenplay

Basic Setup: Diving deep, this screenplay packed in a lot of lore, following the story of Cassidy.

Problems: Spanning multiple time-periods, following multiple characters, and featuring lore from multiple games, this was pretty saturated, saturated to a fault. It may have been satisfying to the most hardcore fans, but it would have left the majority of people confused and lost. (Hey wait, maybe this WAS the most accurate screenplay...)

Verdict: Ultimately more of a visual encyclopedia than a movie, this just wasn't satisfying, even to me. Out.

----

The "Misfit Kid" screenplay

Basic Setup: Single Mom brings her kid to a new town; kid finds Freddy's; hilarity ensues.

Problems: One of the problems in creating a modern day story with an old Freddy's setting is finding a way to connect the protagonists to the restaurant, finding a reason for them to be there, and finding a reason for them to stay. The problem here was that the reason for this kid to go to Freddy's and have misadventures was too contrived and too forced.

Verdict: Not a bad setup, but it just didn't work. If I don't care about the characters, then there's a good chance no one else will either. Pass. (This was going to be THE screenplay for a while because it didn't have any serious flaws. I ultimately just decided it wasn't good enough though.)

----

The "Ghost Trackers" screenplay

Basic Setup: A group of amateur ghost-trackers sneak into the abandoned Freddy's.

Problems: Although a very common-sense setup for this sort of movie, the problem again arose about how to give these characters a connection to Freddy's itself. What ended up happening was too much of the story went to their own backstories and their own hardships, and it took the spotlight away from the story of Freddy's.

Verdict: A stronger connection between protagonist and Freddy's was needed. Lesson learned.

----

The "Insane" screenplay

Basic Setup: Another ghost-tracker variation, this one involved the Funtime Animatronics, underground ball-pit tunnels, and a Marionette out for revenge!

Problems: As some other screenplays ventured too far into adventure, this one went too far into action.

Verdict: Too all-over-the-place, with too many characters doing too many things.

----

The "Mike" screenplay

Basic Setup: Hmmmm. This makes sense. Why didn't I think of this before?

Problems: Actually this is a good mix... it has the best pieces from all the previous screenplays... Not really any problems here. All the right characters, all the right motivations, all the right stakes...

Verdict: Yeah, we're going with this one. It's fun, it's scary, and it has a great central story!

----

Oh right, so onto the bad news. The bad news is that there won't be any more screenplays to add to this list since we're officially making the "Mike" screenplay.

Filming starts in Spring!!! :D

While he didn't give any details about the "Mike" screenplay, judging by the name it sounds like it's going to focus on Michael Afton (the secret protagonist of many of the FNAF games and the son of the main antagonist William Afton), so I'm already excited.

However, I find it more interesting to hear about all these failed attempts, nearly all of which sound like they were destined to fall into the classic "Hollywood makes a film based on a game that has nothing to do with the game" pitfall. Plushies Take Manhattan in particular sounds like it had the potential to be a level of awful on par with the original Sonic trailer, apparently it was going to be a movie where FNAF plush toys come to life and wreak havoc in New York.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Mike screenplay, huh? I'm assuming this is straight up a bottle film where the security guard is the main character

Is it weird that I'm more excited for the inevitable Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights maze since this is Blumhouse and they tend to be the ones who handle the non Conjuring Blumhouse mazes for Halloween?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
While I appreciate the creator being hands on with an adaptation like this, it really sounds like a commitment to the completely absurd lore of this universe has made it a real nightmare to get off the ground.

Like I'm sure Blumhouse wishes they just went with that first script. Cheap to make, gets the point across, cashes in on the IP. And could totally be a strong film, delivered right as public interest in the IP was peaking.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
KmOxph1.png

If they use real animatronics it can be horrifying.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
While I appreciate the creator being hands on with an adaptation like this, it really sounds like a commitment to the completely absurd lore of this universe has made it a real nightmare to get off the ground.

Like I'm sure Blumhouse wishes they just went with that first script. Cheap to make, gets the point across, cashes in on the IP. And could totally be a strong film, delivered right as public interest in the IP was peaking.

I've always felt that FNAF lore is similar to Kingdom Hearts in that while the absurdity of it is part of the appeal, it also largely stems from the whole thing obviously being made up as it goes along as well as certain concepts being kept super abstract for no apparent reason other than to be cryptic, both of which are problems that could be easily solved with a film adaptation.

I think the real issue was that they strayed so far from the basic concept from the very beginning. When you think FNAF you think "security guard sitting at a desk fending off animatronics", so it's weird that it took them so long to get back to that core idea (assuming the Mike screenplay is in fact about Michael).

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've always felt that FNAF lore is similar to Kingdom Hearts in that while the absurdity of it is part of the appeal, it also largely stems from the whole thing obviously being made up as it goes along as well as certain concepts being kept super abstract for no apparent reason other than to be cryptic, both of which are problems that could be easily solved with a film adaptation.

I think the real issue was that they strayed so far from the basic concept from the very beginning. When you think FNAF you think "security guard sitting at a desk fending off animatronics", so it's weird that it took them so long to get back to that core idea (assuming the Mike screenplay is in fact about Michael).
Yeah. I can understand Blumhouse being apprehensive about greenlighting a PG(-13?) horror film without teenage characters, which is probably where the first revisions started up. But man, all of those middle entries sound like completely bonkers departures that would've really annoyed mainstream audiences who just wanted to see a horror film about a creepy Chuck-E-Cheese.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, not gonna lie, I'd have watched Plushies take Manhattan, even though I agree it would have been awful.

Pawn Shop sounds like what you'd get for like the fourth or fifth movie in the series, when the monsters/killers have become too familiar and popular and you almost have to make them humorous or less threatening (see: Jason Lives...though that's a great movie).

I can't quite visualize what "Insane" was going to be, but underground ball pit tunnels sounds amazing. Though I'm probably invoking No Delivery with that one.

At any rate, I'm interested to see what they end up with. This property has a legit chance to be a good video game movie.

DarkenedSoul

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not gonna lie, I'd have watched Plushies take Manhattan, even though I agree it would have been awful.

Pawn Shop sounds like what you'd get for like the fourth or fifth movie in the series, when the monsters/killers have become too familiar and popular and you almost have to make them humorous or less threatening (see: Jason Lives...though that's a great movie).

I can't quite visualize what "Insane" was going to be, but underground ball pit tunnels sounds amazing. Though I'm probably invoking No Delivery with that one.

At any rate, I'm interested to see what they end up with. This property has a legit chance to be a good video game movie.

I'm totally down for plushies take Manhattan, just not as a FNAF movie. Blumhouse should just flip that into it's own thing.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why screenwriters attempt to adapt material wherein they don't give a fuck about the appeal of the material they're adapting. All I want is a small/bottle horror film in a Freddy's joint with minor bits of intrigue as to why haunted shenanigans are afoot. This can't be that fucking hard.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why screenwriters attempt to adapt material wherein they don't give a fuck about the appeal of the material they're adapting. All I want is a small/bottle horror film in a Freddy's joint with minor bits of intrigue as to why haunted shenanigans are afoot. This can't be that fucking hard.

The screen writer is the literal creator of the material.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The screen writer is the literal creator of the material.
It says right in the OP that many of the scrapped scripts were from screenwriters who were not Scott Cawthon. I'm not lumping him in with these folks, especially since he seemed to be the final arbiter on all of them getting tossed out.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It says right in the OP that many of the scrapped scripts were from screenwriters who were not Scott Cawthon. I'm not lumping him in with these folks, especially since he seemed to be the final arbiter on all of them getting tossed out.

That's fair, I'm guessing this won't be related to the games.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That's fair, I'm guessing this won't be related to the games.
I would assume by the usage of "Mike" as a code name, it will probably be more based in the games than anything else, with some leeway to use elements from other parts of the canon. That's the name of the first security guard, and also the name of one of the antagonist's sons.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Scott Cawthon decided to troll as usual today by posting some bad news about the FNAF movie on the subreddit (scroll to the bottom for the "bad news"):

While he didn't give any details about the "Mike" screenplay, judging by the name it sounds like it's going to focus on Michael Afton (the secret protagonist of many of the FNAF games and the son of the main antagonist William Afton), so I'm already excited.

However, I find it more interesting to hear about all these failed attempts, nearly all of which sound like they were destined to fall into the classic "Hollywood makes a film based on a game that has nothing to do with the game" pitfall. Plushies Take Manhattan in particular sounds like it had the potential to be a level of awful on par with the original Sonic trailer, apparently it was going to be a movie where FNAF plush toys come to life and wreak havoc in New York.
Plushies take Manhattan would have been a god damn blockbuster while also being an awful FNAF Adaptation.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds to be exactly what we're getting with the Mike screenplay

Oct 25, 2017

I think the government twist would've been really dumb. I honestly don't know how you'd write a non-comedic take on an ending like that

Yup. Movie about a out-of-luck security guard that gets chased around by jumpscare robot animals and then the twist ending is that security guard knew more than he let on

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Out of nowhere last week I decided to take a deep dive into the FNAF lore and I'm so into it now, haha. Hopefully this movie turns out good, thankfully Scott seems to be aware that they shouldn't cram too much into it. If they use actual animatronics enhanced by CG it has a chance of being something special.