• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
213329-roberta-williams-phantasmagoria-macintosh-front-cover.jpg

Phantasmagoria4.png

Watched a stream of Phantasmagoria and holy shit that game was a fucking ride.

The death scenes in it are some of the craziest I've seen in a video game.
I can't believe they got away with that stuff in 1995.

I won't spoil it because I think the story deserves to be seen at least once.

Though I will have to put Trigger Warning because it features a non consensual sex scene and the deaths are really disturbing.

I plan on playing Phantasmagoria 2 since I actually own it on steam

I was wondering what other games I should look into.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Myst was amazing at the time

Phantasmagoria is a no-brainer yeah.

Night Trap is a guilty pleasure. It came free with my Mega CD.

Most recently "Her story" was pretty great

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I kind of hate-love them.

I played Phantasmagoria last year and thought it was abysmal but also thought it was a "needs to be seen" game that is wild. I loved playing it even though I thought it was garbage.

I am so excited to play Phantasmagoria 2, just because I need more insanity like that.

I've heard good things about Contradiction. I want to get more into the genre because ho boy.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Contradiction is fun. Loved Erica. Late Shift is also a good thriller FMV game that is just focused on choose your own adventure-style choices.

I'm mostly just into the more modern FMV games.

OP
OP
asmith906

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember Harvester being batshit insane

61307-harvester-dos-front-cover.jpg

6ae4057be7731282bfc00bd7ad9c55f1.jpg

makonero

Oct 27, 2017

The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker

A Lovecraftian murder mystery FMV game with a dash of Cthulhu.

I had a good time with The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker, although I'm not a fan of the randomized nature of the solution to the overall mystery. I thought the performances were pretty good and the whole game is unsettling in the right way.

I will also agree with those that mentioned Her Story and Contradiction, both of which I loved.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Telling Lies is pretty great. Really strong production values and acting.

Erica on PS4 was a fun way to kill 2 hours

I'm playing it now and just finished my first ending. Considering there are six endings and I wasn't too thrilled with how mine ended think I'll jump on for another playthrough. Also think I'm missing quite a bit of the story/backstory still.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Road Avenger for the Sega CD, absolutely.

Pretty much this, although I actually greatly dislike the way the Sega CD essentially wasted its numerous advantages by primarily making these kinds of throwaway "games", which made up far too much of its overall output.

2746-wing-commander-iii-heart-of-the-tiger-dos-front-cover.jpg

Wing Commander was revolutionary.

Had this for the 3DO near release, and really couldn't get into it. Years ago I gave my friend the system and games, and he recently had the system modded to output over HDMI, and this was the game he forced me to watch him play for a bit.

Ana

⛧ Vampire ⛧
Oct 24, 2017
Contradiction is my favorite. I love the characters and humor in that.

Eddie Bax

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
I'm kinda partial to Tender Loving Care. It's not a good game, but it has some of the same batshit psychosexual stuff Phantasmagoria does, while blending in more cheesy 90s erotic thriller.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017

Road Avenger for the Sega CD, absolutely.

Hell, yeah, Road Avenger (aka Road Blaster, and Road Prosecutor) is absurd fun. It was released on many of the older CD-based systems so you should give it a try if you can.

However, a guilty pleasure of mine is Surgical Strike for the Sega CD, and 32X/CD.

It's stupid, kind of confusing, and overly difficult, but it is so wonderfully cheesy. The explosions are fantastic miniatures, and the whole game is completely bombastic.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Lunacy(Torico) count ? From the Sega Saturn ? God I loved that game . Really would love to be able to play it on modern hardware

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Mad Dog McCree and Dragon's Lair come to mind for me, but there are a ton I missed over the years. I'd really like to be able to give Rebel Assault 2 another chance. I remember it being too hard to get very far, back in the day.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I don't genuinely love any FMV game I've played, but I do have strong nostalgia for Sewer Shark (came with the Sega CD that my dad brought home for me to test when I was a kid) and Silent Steel on PC which my cousin had, the intro, even just the Tsunami logo in the opening. Half the nostalgia I have for that is the red box art.

sephiroth7x

Nov 2, 2017
Recently I enjoyed Late Shift but I still have a thing for X-Files game on PC. For some reason it really clicked with me when I didn't even watch the show.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda partial to Tender Loving Care. It's not a good game, but it has some of the same batshit psychosexual stuff Phantasmagoria does, while blending in more cheesy 90s erotic thriller.

Lmao yes. I've only watched a playthrough of it before (Geek Remix if anyone is interested) and it is one of the funniest/most insane things ever lol.

If Phantasmagoria is the same level of wacky, I should look for a playthrough...

Oct 8, 2019
Best is probably Dragon's Lair II

Weirdest is probably Gundam 0079 because it was made by Americans years before Gundam Wing aired on Toonami

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody remember Psychic Detective? I had it on the PS1 and they made you play some confusing puzzle game against the villain at the end and I never understood how to win. The story made no sense but it had "sight jacking" like Siren as the main concept.

Gabriel Knight 2 is my favorite adventure game of all time. I was just so fascinated by the multiple stories going on, especially to whole Ludwig and Wagner relationship. I really wish there were more adventure games with that quality of writing.

Dracula Unleashed was another good one but more obscure and way too easy to end up in an unwinnable situation. It was basically written as a sequel to Dracula. They released a dvd version several years later with greatly improved video quality, but it's rare and feels like a chore to play since it's meant to be played on an actual dvd player with a remote. Then you have to save and load with passwords.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

Dark Nights with Poe and Munro is a spin-off from The Shapeshifting Detective.
The cast have great chemistry and the production quality is decent.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Gabriel Knight 2 is the game to beat. I also have a fondness for Realms of that Haunting (even if the writing and acting are far inferior).

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My personal faves:

Wing Commander 3 & 4
Cyberia
Starblade
Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
Bioforge
D
Mad Dog McCree
Brain Dead 13
Dragon's Lair 2
Supreme Warrior
Night Trap
Under A Killing Moon

There's also that one that is basically public domain now where you drive a car... It's hand drawn animation. I forget the name of it. It was on Sega CD I believe and there was a conversion for SNES. EDIT: ROAD AVENGER, it was mentioned earlier ITT

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had this for the 3DO near release, and really couldn't get into it. Years ago I gave my friend the system and games, and he recently had the system modded to output over HDMI, and this was the game he forced me to watch him play for a bit.
OMG I played the hell out of this on 3DO. I was the biggest fan of Wing Commander and when my parents got number 3 for me on PC I was really bummed because our computer was nowhere near fast enough to play it. I got a 3DO later mostly for this game when I found out it was headed to the 3DO. Even got the CH Flightstick Pro for the 3DO to play it properly.