• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
As reported by Click Orlando, all parks at Universal Orlando and Walt Disney World hit their limited capacity on Saturday, September 5.

Mateo Osorio was one of those who attended Universal Studios on Saturday. He described how he did not feel safe because of the number of guests and the apparent lack of social distancing and mask wearing.

"The first thing we saw was the temperature screening line," he told WFTV. "There are markers on the ground for you to be social distancing, but they don't have as many that far back, so then you have these big clusters of people not social distancing."

"We were like... 'We don't feel safe. There's no social distancing. The lines are too long to do any of those rides," Osorio added. "A lot of people had their masks below their nose. I counted at least 10 people just with masks either not on or below their nose."

www.newsweek.com

Florida Theme Parks Hit Capacity as Labor Day Crowds Flock to Resorts

All parks at Universal Orlando and Walt Disney World hit their limited capacity on September 5.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we're fucked at this point. Nothing to do for more sensible people except to keep staying cautious and limiting contact until the vaccine rolls around next year. You're not doing it to help stop the spread as much as you are to protect yourself and those close to you now.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
qBRrS8G.png

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
I'm always down to take a shit on FL but it looks like WDW was not even close to "packed".
www.disneytouristblog.com

Labor Day Disney World "Crowdpocalypse" Report

Labor Day weekend is the last hurrah for summer crowds before off-season begins at Walt Disney World. Our Labor Day Crowd Predictions anticipated high attendance, long lines, and elevated wait times. After experiencing the 'eye

Even that flyover footage in the OP has pretty empty shots of WDW.

Universal on the other hand is desperate for the money, so they'll just pack every one in without a care.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any evidence of outbreaks at these parks? I haven't seen anything yet? It's been open for awhile now.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always down to take a shit on FL but it looks like WDW was not even close to "packed".

Labor Day weekend is the last hurrah for summer crowds before off-season begins at Walt Disney World. Our Labor Day Crowd Predictions anticipated high attendance, long lines, and elevated wait times. After experiencing the 'eye

Universal on the other hand is desperate for the money, so they'll just pack every one in without a care.
Yeeeeeep, WDW has handled this whole thing really really well. Especially given they introduced rules to stop people from walking and eating so they need to keep their masks on. The flyover footage makes the other parks look like clownshoes in comparison.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Yeeeeeep, WDW has handled this whole thing really really well. Especially given they introduced rules to stop people from walking and eating so they need to keep their masks on. The flyover footage makes the other parks look like clownshoes in comparison.

I heard Disney Springs was an absolute shit show over the weekend.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
two - three weeks from now its gonna be a crazy jump in numbers.

Unless they just lifted some kind of restrictions, I dunno. I would've thought we would've had more horror stories after parks reopened but it was Summer break before this when they were open and I haven't heard much about the numbers going up. Was this really the first time they were at capacity because of Labor Day?

Oct 25, 2017
They banned neck gaiters and masks with exhaust ports too. Still wouldnt go personally but it's nice to see.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Disney looks super empty lol, but Universal is waaaaay too packed. I wouldn't want to go there. I feel like the water parks are the "safest" of the three due to not really having indoor stuff, but I don't think I'd do that either.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
BTW, have they decided how they're going to be handling in person crowds for the NFL? I can only assume Florida will open up their stadiums and Tampa Bay in particular will be packed to whatever capacity they decide on. I don't know how you keep social distancing when waiting in line at a stadium.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This country is full of selfish fucks
yup very apparent, i know of people planning to still have weddings this year. its absolutely insane.

A friend of mine did a baby shower, but they did it very responsibly had people come by in hourly shifts and limit the amount of people gathering which i respect. but having full on shit makes no damn sense

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
The places looked pretty empty to me. I mean I get the risks but the video basically showed theme parks done right during a pandemic.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is capacity with the COVID-19 guidance plus masks. So it's not full normal capacity.

I doubt there will be any major spread.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The shots of Disney World do not look particularly busy, even for their reduced numbers. Not a big surprise that Universal is more crowded though, they've always been much more lax with their restrictions. Gotta get that money for Comcast

That being said none of these parks have seen any significant infection events so I doubt this weekend will be the first.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
BTW, have they decided how they're going to be handling in person crowds for the NFL? I can only assume Florida will open up their stadiums and Tampa Bay in particular will be packed to whatever capacity they decide on. I don't know how you keep social distancing when waiting in line at a stadium.
It varies from team to team, with some not allowing any fans in for the first part of the season and some doing very limited attendance.

Will there be fans at NFL games in 2020? Team-by-team attendance & ticket policies during COVID-19

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Colleges are, because college kids...

In other news, you don't hear much from schools that have opened with distancing guidelines, blended models and mask usage do you?

I'm in Canada and my province has mandatory mask usage for elementary and high schools. Schools here have been opened for like a week and we already have 102 schools with COVID cases lol.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not 100% sure what I'm supposed to think from the video, as someone who goes to Disneyworld every other summer for a couple of weeks those shots of Hollywood studios is a super sparse crowd.

You would never see crowds that low any time of year usually so it clearly is limited numbers and I think masks are enforced even outdoors there.

I'm from England so not super up to date on the cases over in Florida and of course there's a discussion about whether they should be open at all in any form but it's clearly vastly reduced capacity

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Yeah, we're fucked at this point. Nothing to do for more sensible people except to keep staying cautious and limiting contact until the vaccine rolls around next year. You're not doing it to help stop the spread as much as you are to protect yourself and those close to you now.

My wife works in the school system. Feels like we're dodging bullets, and staying relatively safe all week in every other area, but she literally walks straight into the warzone every morning 5 days a week.

For example, our kids are virtual students right now as we had to eliminate some of the contact possibilities. We only go to the grocery store once a week and on one date a week on Saturday to an outdoor dining restaurant.

I'd be fine with not going on the one date thing, but my wife might implode or explode (one or the other). She still gets super stressed/flustered as is.

SUCKS!!! We've tried to be very careful across the board, but her not going to work isn't an option.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I don't understand people desire to go out on holidays when there isn't a pandemic, let alone when there is one.

"Yeah, honey, lets take the kids out and go to busiest place in the state on the busiest day of the month."

Like I get people only have certain days off but still. Stay the fuck home.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This.

Here's a thread related to WDW over the holiday weekend:

This part caught my attention the most:

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be really interesting when a far deadlier pandemic eventually hits here in the US. And by interesting I mean terrifying as most of the population gets wiped out because people are selfish fucks.

Shadowninja100

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be really interesting when a far deadlier pandemic eventually hits here in the US. And by interesting I mean terrifying as most of the population gets wiped out because people are selfish fucks.

Honestly if that happened I think (at least I'd like to) people would actually take it much more seriously. The biggest issue with getting people to cooperate with COVID is that that large majorty of cases are either asymptomatic or mild. People won't think that they'll be affected so they try to go on business as usual, especially since this has been going on for so long.

If there were a pandemic that had people getting extremely sick or dying at a much higher rate they would take it much more seriously because the consequences are much more apparent.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
yup very apparent, i know of people planning to still have weddings this year. its absolutely insane.

A friend of mine did a baby shower, but they did it very responsibly had people come by in hourly shifts and limit the amount of people gathering which i respect. but having full on shit makes no damn sense
Whys it feel like there were more weddings this year then any other year...

And I can even get if you think its all Bullshit and don't care about it ect. But even then, you know some of your family/friends will be uncomfortable WHY put them through that? You can't even do the very least of respect. So gross.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Whys it feel like there were more weddings this year then any other year...

And I can even get if you think its all Bullshit and don't care about it ect. But even then, you know some of your family/friends will be uncomfortable WHY put them through that? You can't even do the very least of respect. So gross.
Extremely selfish. But I'm also curious if these venues aren't refunding people.

Smile

Banned
Jun 27, 2020
I wonder how something as deadly as a modern Black Death be in modern days - would people still be doing stupid shit like this?