• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the teen should get any real charges from this ... suspension, or w/e for just being a fucking idiot should suffice... But... pursuing any more than that seems extrajudicious.

I don't think his lawyer needs to go into how "Rdiciulous the arrest is," might not help the kids case, but just say he was horsing around being a dumbass by performing what amounts to a dance move on the principle. I think if they focus that pro wrestling is a choreographed performance art, not a combat sport, then it helps soften the impact.

I also don't disagree with the principle calling the police either. A kid can't put his hands in an aggressive way on a principle or teacher, even if it's joking. My wife is a teacher in an inner city public school for at-risk youths (basically, kids who get kicked out / drop out of the normal public high schools go to this school for a year or two to get worked back into the main school)... And the shit she sees every week at her school is something else. You just have to take it serious when a kid puts his hands on a teacher, staff, principle, etc. The teachers and administrators also all know which kids are trouble and which ones are just clowns. And the other students know too. If one of the kids whose a clown does something clownish, they're not calling the police, but if a kid puts his hands on a teacher or principle and it's a kid who has a history, then they probably would call the police.

Where it should stop is criminal charges because it seems pretty clear that the kid is being a fuckin joker not trying to criminally harm someone. But I don't blame the principle for calling the police in, esp if there's a resident safety officer at the school (as is the case at my wife's school).

Last edited:

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
d1eQdor.jpg

"Arresting him was the right call. With his strength, he could have been the next Rock"

This picture is infuriating. This over a fucking pantomimed wrestling move.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you making this about me rather than discussing what you think should happen?

Tbh, I hadn't realised that a misdemeanour crime would stay on the kids record. If that's the case then I agree that is too harsh. I'd thought it was a shock tactic rather than actually giving the kid an actual criminal record.
Because you've been banging the drum of authority and its value loudly but haven't really shown its value or why you value it as highly as you do.
Not outside of pure concept and theory anyway.

Even as a shock tactic it's stupid, there's just as much chance he takes to it poorly and comes away with resentment rather than "learning a lesson".

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
He was being far more dangerous with him than the student was.

So you defend this kid touch another person without consent, but then take offense to the victim defending themselves?

The kid is 18 and responsible for his own actions. If he didn't want to be man handled by a victim of his action, he should have kept his hand to himself.

If it was just a joke, why wasn't the kid profusely apologizing the moment it went bad instead of wiping out his camera to film the "assault" on himself.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Kid looked like he was just fucking around joking.. but you can't do that shit to your principal out of nowhere.

Hopefully it's dropped but this was enough to get some sense into him.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
So you defend this kid touch another person without consent, but then take offense to the victim defending themselves?

The kid is 18 and responsible for his own actions. If he didn't want to be man handled by a victim of his action, he should have kept his hand to himself.

If it was just a joke, why wasn't the kid profusely apologizing the moment it went bad instead of wiping out his camera to film the "assault" on himself

LOL! Do you actually think he was going to RKO him?

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Kid looked like he was just fucking around joking.. but you can't do that shit to your principal out of nowhere.

Hopefully it's dropped but this was enough to get some sense into him.

You'd think a principal wouldn't want to press charges if no harm was really done. This one is a head scratcher.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017

If it was just a joke, why wasn't the kid profusely apologizing the moment it went bad instead of wiping out his camera to film the "assault" on himself.
So you propose he was legitimately attempting to perform an RKO with the intention of hurting them?
If that's the case why did he just pose and imitate it rather than follow through?

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you all don't seem to realize that there are consequences for your actions in life. This moron is 18 years old. He should know better than to pull this bullshit. This kid and a lot of you all are in for a rough life if you can't grasp simple concepts like this.

Last edited:

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He clearly has his arm on his neck. You have to assume he was going to see it through. You don't touch people and not expect consequences.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The kid should have been punished but holy fuck at him going to court over this shit. This only fosters resentment to authority or teaches kids to abuse their authority whenever there's a minor infraction against him.

Some of you all don't seem to realize that there are consequences for your actions in life. This moron is 18 years old. He should no better than to pull this bullshit. This kid and a lot of you all are in for a rough life if you can't grasp simple concepts like this.

I'm pretty sure a lot of us here are far older than 18 who didn't grow up to defend consequences based on the frail egos of those in positions of power.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you all don't seem to realize that there are consequences for your actions in life. This moron is 18 years old. He should no better than to pull this bullshit. This kid and a lot of you all are in for a rough life if you can't grasp simple concepts like this.
Nobody mentioned anything about zero consequences.
Don't realize that there's consequences? No shit there's consequences Sherlock.

The debate is on what the consequences should be.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Because you've been banging the drum of authority and its value loudly but haven't really shown its value or why you value it as highly as you do.
Not outside of pure concept and theory anyway.

Even as a shock tactic it's stupid, there's just as much chance he takes to it poorly and comes away with resentment rather than "learning a lesson".

So hypothetically, the kid gets a detention. If he pulls a similar stunt again, what should happen?
i.e. When does this become more than a prank and when does authority have to be shown.

Also, just giving the kid a detention gives other kids the message that you can put your hands on teachers and all that will happen is that you get a detention.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, calling the cops is escalation. Especially when it involves someone who is black.

What makes you think the kid was going to escalate things?

putting your hands on a teacher/admin is escalating things. Even if it's a stupid wrestling move, the principle doesn't know that, he just knows that it's a kid putting his hands on the principle's head/face. If one of the students grabbed my wife's face at her school, she'd freak the fuck out, they'd call the resident safety officer, who would probably call the police.

From my experience, though, the police probably wouldn't arrest the kid at her school... There's too many kids clowning around, and the police aren't idiots with high school teens where we live, they don't want to waste their time. I definitely don't think the teen should be charged or face any criminal consequences. But I don't think calling the police is an unfair escelation of something... Students can't put their hands on teachers/admins, especially in ways that are looking to mimic a wrestling move.

Students aren't idiots, too, they all know they can't do that and there's bad consequences if they do.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
C'mon mate, we're not children. Hold old are you? FFS

The consequences of this 18 year getting a criminal record are far worse than is required

The kid should have been punished but holy fuck at him going to court over this shit. This only fosters resentment to authority or teaches kids to abuse their authority whenever there's a minor infraction against him.

I'm pretty sure a lot of us here are far older than 18 who didn't grow up to defend consequences based on the frail egos of those in positions of power.
Exactly

Fucking blind allegiance to authority is maddening, especially given the fucked nature of the US penal system and the attitudes shown towards POC with or without criminal records

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
So hypothetically, the kid gets a detention. If he pulls a similar stunt again, what should happen?
i.e. When does this become more than a prank and when does authority have to be shown.

Also, just giving the kid a detention gives other kids the message that you can put your hands on teachers and all that will happen is that you get a detention.
I never said only detention?
But in the case of the hypothetical, have they actually taught why it is wrong?
It is a school, a place of education. Shouldn't they educate on the why and outcomes instead of punish and leave it until a supposed potential another time to just up the punishment stakes?

If it is reoccurring, education and suspension is much preferable to arresting a student no?

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
LOL! Do you actually think he was going to RKO him?
I don't care what you or the kid thought he was going to do, you do not lay hand on another person uninvited. It is assault.

I know what an RKO is, and I also know that wresting is a series of choreographed stun work where even the professional get injured missing a spot. You do know wrestlers suffer life damaging injuries right?

I have family members who are teachers, this is complete bullshit that so many here think it is okay to assault a teacher for a joke. This is not an elementary or middle school kid- it a highschooler who happens to be an adult under the law.

Yes, it should of just been a suspension, detention, or expulsion. But that option was gone once the kid started recording the principle "assaulting him". Since when is defending oneself from an attack assault. The principle has every right to defend his job against this "prank". Parents sue schools without a second thought to protect their dumbness kids like this one.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the student was trying to have fun with him ( he doesn't even grab the principles head) but the he of course is stuck up. Sit the kid down and explain the importance of keeping your hands to yourself because even good natured touching can lead to someone getting hurt or a misunderstanding. This should be thrown out of court and the principle fired for not knowing how to do his job.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
I never said only detention?
But in the case of the hypothetical, have they actually taught why it is wrong?
It is a school, a place of education. Shouldn't they educate on the why and outcomes instead of punish and leave it until a supposed potential another time to just up the punishment stakes?

If it is reoccurring, education and suspension is much preferable to arresting a student no?

At what age does a person become responsible for their own actions in your world?

Are you serious blaming the school for this kid deciding to run up an pull a physical prank on a unsuspecting person?

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it should of just been a suspension, detention, or expulsion. But that option was gone once the kid started recording the principle "assaulting him". Since when is defending oneself from an attack assault. The principle has every right to defend his job against this "prank". Parents sue schools without a second thought to protect their dumbness kids like this one.

This makes zero sense.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some people here really hungry for that student's blood. They should probably go straight to the death penalty!

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
At what age does a person become responsible for their own actions in your world?

Are you serious blaming the school for this kid deciding to run up an pull a physical prank on a unsuspecting person?
No I'm blaming the school for putting this kid in prison garb and giving him a criminal record for a stupid prank.

Look at the picture FFS, he's being treated like a criminal.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
This makes zero sense.

Why does it make zero sense?

It went from a prank started by the kid, to the kid film the principle "attacking him". The principle had to call the cops to protect the principles legal rights.

You don't think the kid spreading that video on YouTube and stirring up public outrage would not have ended his career? A police report was require start the legal trail to protect the principle.

Teachers lives are ruined in the USA for dumb shit the students do.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
No I'm blaming the school for putting this kid in prison garb and giving him a criminal record for a stupid prank.

Look at the picture FFS, he's being treated like a criminal.

Ah, so you are ignoring the kids actions- giving him a free pass for his stupidity.

It is a prank for the kids eyes only. It is assault the eyes of the victim.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Explicit personal insults and prior infractions for hostility
This is about disrespect of an authority figure. The kid deserves everything he gets. It will teach him a lesson. All of you softies saying this is overkill are part of the problem.

Your mother got with a pig before she met your father.

It's the only explanation for your lack of empathy and further allowance of a system built on filling prisons with POC who've done fuck all in crimes.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, so you are ignoring the kids actions- giving him a free pass for his stupidity.

It is a prank for the kids eyes only. It is assault the eyes of the victim.
His actions... You word it so sinister.
I'm not ignoring it, it just isn't worth branding them a criminal for.

It is a misunderstanding and there's two victims here.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it make zero sense?

It went from a prank started by the kid, to the kid film the principle "attacking him". The principle had to call the cops to protect the principles legal rights.

You don't think the kid spreading that video on YouTube and stirring up public outrage would not have ended his career? A police report was require start the legal trail to protect the principle.

Teachers lives are ruined in the USA for dumb shit the students do.

That makes sense. I'll give you that.

Maybe next time Principal of the Year will properly handle a similar situation and not assault the student.

I'm checking out of this thread. I'm not going to debate the "voices of reason" when nothing that happened in this story is reasonable. The student shouldn't have pantamimed an RKO, and the principal shouldn't have assaulted the kid, the kid shouldnt have recorded, and the principal shouldn't have called the police.

Last edited:

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I'm one of the older members on the forum (>50) and I guess I'm kind of shocked at how many of the forum members think it's ok for a student to lay hands on a teacher, joke or not. I worked with kids 30yrs ago and no kid would ever think to lay hands on me (same goes for me with them)
Sad how things have changed.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being so obsessed with authority that witnessing someone in high school pull off a playful wrestling move is seen as a compromise to the entire infrastructure of authority, in a nation that worships police and gets rock hard off of punishment.

I'm one of the older members on the forum (>50) and I guess I'm kind of shocked at how many of the forum members think it's ok for a student to lay hands on a teacher, joke or not. I worked with kids 30yrs ago and no kid would ever think to lay hands on me (same goes for me with them)
Sad how things have changed.

No one thinks it's actually okay. But it's not worth putting him in a cell over and making him a number in a much larger system that is an existing issue in this country. Think bigger. Take your time.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Dude you sound like you're on some "thug" that should be "locked away" garbage. We want less people going through the judicial system for shit like this, not more.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017

"His actions" is sinister to you? So basically, it's not possible to describe what happened in your eyes.

That makes sense. I'll give you that.

Maybe next time Principal of the Year will properly handle a similar situation and not assault the student.

I'm checking out of this thread. I'm not going to debate the "voices of reason" when nothing that happened in this story is reasonable. The student shouldn't have pantamimed an RKO, and the principal shouldn't have assaulted the kid, the kid shouldnt have recorded, and the racist principal shouldn't have called the police.

So the principal is racist? Did he choose to randomly get his neck grabbed by a non-white person?

The principal defended himself. The only assault is the student grabbing the principal's neck. It doesn't matter that it was a joke to the student. If I choose to go around and spit in people's face because I think it's funny I could still get my ass kicked or have someone call the cops on me.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot

It is not a misunderstanding. An 18 person decided to walk up an lay hands on another person. Yes, I can see it was a dumb prank- but that does not matter to person who he touched. That is a assault, period. You don't get tell the victim how they should feel about being accosted.

The moment it stopped being a prank is when the "kid" decided to gather evidence that principle was assaulting him.

You have such empathy for the kid being arrested and treated as a criminal. I do too, but that doesn't excuse him from taking responsibility for his actions.

But you have absolutely none for the principle who could have been brought up on assault charges and lost his job due to this "kids prank".

The shit teachers have to defend them selves against just to keep their jobs in the USA is ridiculous. I do not like having to call in cops to handle stuff, but the sad reality is that parents and lawmakers have made a system where outside reporting is needed to keep their jobs.

Fucking parents get teachers fired for drinking on their own time, or stupid picture of teacher taken during their youth. Touching a kid while defending oneself? That kid parents would have had a lawsuit filed the next day to protect their darling.

It is the reality of America- no one respects teachers. They expect them to be punching bags.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Did I miss where the kid actually did anything that would hurt someone?

My wife is a teacher. The worst thing she'd probably do to a kid that pretended to do that, would be suspend them for a day.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Imagine being so obsessed with authority that witnessing someone in high school pull off a playful wrestling move is seen as a compromise to the entire infrastructure of authority, in a nation that worships police and gets rock hard off of punishment.

No one thinks it's actually okay. But it's not worth putting him in a cell over and making him a number in a much larger system that is an existing issue in this country. Think bigger. Take your time.
Don't touch/assault teachers then you wouldn't have the problem to begin with. School probably has a no tolerance policy for this sort of thing.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for educating me.

You're welcome. Someones gotta do it. But yeah, we've already all acknowledged it was a dumb thing to do. Now it's a matter of the punishment fitting the crime. The gap between suspending/expelling someone and putting them in a cell. Lets help you grasp this concept. Baby steps.