• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I actually agree with this. Imo doing time in jail is only part of paying what is owed when I comes to certain crimes. I believe paying fines and restitutions are also part of the punishment for violent crimes. However, I know that most fines for petty and non violent crimes are nothing more than a money grab.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
It's not a flat fee that every felon must pay. It's whatever fees, fines, or restitution that's set at the time of sentencing.
I actually agree with this. Imo doing time in jail is only part of paying what is owed when I comes to certain crimes. I believe paying fines and restitutions are also part of the punishment for violent crimes.

I wonder if over time the fees, fines, and restitution associated with Florida court cases would increase at a rate above the US average if such fees and fines are being used to deny the voting rights of people who may not vote for Republican political candidates.....

Oct 27, 2017
My state is a beautiful mess. We used to be on the cutting edge of environmental, planning and building policy. Now we've got weeks of sunny-day coastal flooding and a year-round poison alge problem, and idiots still denying climate change is a thing.

I beg you fellow Americans; stop sending your crankish family down here, we breed enough of these vicious rubes all on our own. Find another hole to drop your cultural detritus into.

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
Just today I had my students researching Jim Crow laws. I asked them to find a date when they ended. made them sweat nearly the whole class trying to find dates before I stopped them and asked them why they thought they couldn't find a date.
then they all realized they never ended

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If you aren't presently incarcerated, you should be able to vote.

And frankly I'm not even married to that caveat.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I actually agree with this. Imo doing time in jail is only part of paying what is owed when I comes to certain crimes. I believe paying fines and restitutions are also part of the punishment for violent crimes. However, I know that most fines for petty and non violent crimes are nothing more than a money grab.

This bill didn't restore voting rights back to anyone with a murder or "sexual offenses" felony. Unfortunately the "sexual offenses" was not actually defined in the act, so the legislation (at least on first pass) took the broadest possible stroke of interpretation, "Nobody defined what "sexual offenses" meant, Grant said, so he included every felony sexual offense on the books, including prostitution and placing an adult entertainment store within 2,500 feet of a school."

Also it's a poll tax, so it doesn't really matter if you agree with it or not. It's unconstitutional.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Florida says fuck minorities who are statistically disadvantaged going in then going out of prison

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Jesus christ

They already served their sentence. They weren't making any money in prison and now the poor need to pay to vote too

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poll tax are never cool

Oct 25, 2017
What are the positive outcomes of this stipulation?

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
So if I'm reading this right, this advisory ruling doesn't actually enact that part of the law? The article says a federal court already ruled in October that this is unconstitutional, so it's currently on hold and the state is just trying to use today's ruling as an argument in favor of it during the federal appeal.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this includes the $50 a day cost of incarceration that becomes a lien against you when you are released. Only way you can pay it off in my county is if you pay in full. Plus interest!

Mar 3, 2019
How if Florida still so conservative? There is a large amount of immigration to the state from the caribeans, the real conservative areas are up north. I know that Cuban immigrants tend to be much more conservative, so maybe its that plus all the old people?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
How if Florida still so conservative? There is a large amount of immigration to the state from the caribeans, the real conservative areas are up north. I know that Cuban immigrants tend to be much more conservative, so maybe its that plus all the old people?

A large number of snowbirds from up North move to Florida by the hundreds to thousands each month. On top of Cubans and many from the Caribbean being quite conservative. Combine that with the unreliability of young voting, and you can quickly see how that works out. Republicans have ran Florida for several decades.

Min

Oct 25, 2017

Because large swathes of Florida are still fairly rural and conservative.

8GC8bkC.png

This is the 2018 Senate election. The blue cities are major cities. It's easy for the House and Senate to remain conservative with this map.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Because large swathes of Florida are still fairly rural and conservative.

8GC8bkC.png

This is the 2018 Senate election. The blue cities are major cities. It's easy for the House and Senate to remain conservative with this map.

Just imagine how different the world would be if the panhandle was part of Alabama like Alabama wanted for years.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
How can they pay if they can't get a fricking job because of that record? Get the hell out of here.