• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a report just recently that about half of the students there were athletes, or kids of big donors?
DeSantis does not fall into athlete or kid of big donor. He used his GI bill funds and scholarships to attend.

in his case, it's either pettiness or too far down the Trump rabbit hole that's caused his stupidity.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the median age lines up with Florida demographics which would mean that a significantly smaller portion would die BUT young people inevitably will spread it to older folks. Plus the 3% is probably more for an overwhelmed hospital system which Florida is very close to.
Officially, it is around 1.6%, but there are rumbling that they are repressing these numbers. We likely will not have the real story for years to come.
Thanks both. I really ought to do a bit more reading to check but I'm 99 percent sure the 3 percent figure was seen in a number of countries and none of them had significantly overwhelmed systems.

It's possible the at florida is way way younger with infections... But I'm not sure it's that much difference to have half the fatality rate.

If it helps, I think even the US and even florida is still reporting all deaths, so in a few months it will be "easy" to look at excess deaths above an average.

It was the BBC and a University did to compare different European countries. In the UK we've had 44k official covid deaths and 60k excess deaths. I think nearly every country has a "miss factor" where excess deaths are higher than covid official deaths but our UK one was particularly bad.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
AZ adding trucks because they are running out of morgue space. Like NY in the past.

just let that sink in
I've always taken everything happening with this seriously, but the exact moment I remember being hit with the sobering reality that it was much worse than I could've imagined was when I was in a car going up the FDR Drive in NYC in late April or so, and if you looked across the East River at the coast of Randall's Island, there was nothing but those trucks lined up by the dozens acting as makeshift morgues.

It's fucking wild to me that no one took what happened here in NYC as a warning.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Remember, when the beds are fully occupied, the death rate for other diseases and causes goes up rapidly too, simply because there aren't enough professionals for so many patients.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It seems like we are getting way better at treating the virus. Death rates seem to be declining compared to new cases. Not at all saying Florida is doing anything right, just speaking generally.

Though I might be misreading this. Hopefully there is not some gigantic spike in 3 weeks...

Death rates are not going to be an important metric once this is all over, when the lung/heart/brain damage starts to become more apparent.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to tell how many of them were asymptomatic?

What percentage of people with COVID-19 don't develop symptoms?

That's not known. Widespread testing in Vò, Italy, found that well over half of approximately 3,400 people who tested positive never showed symptoms. In other studies, the number of asymptomatic people has ranged from five per cent to 80 per cent. One difficulty is that some people who are asymptomatic when they test positive later develop symptoms.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Death rates are not going to be an important metric once this is all over, when the lung/heart/brain damage starts to become more apparent.
I am sure there a thousand unknowns at this point.

And like many have pointed out there can be a lag in death from the virus. But it does seem like more people are recovering (for many reasons, one of which might include that the treatment is getting more effective).

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Call me skeptical but I somehow doubt most of these infections are young people when FL is the oldest state in the country, demographically.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So was up in North FL, we decided to take a trip to get away so we rented a cabin in the woods away from everyone to vacation by ourselves safely. Course we had to stop for gas and such on the way to and from, but in Central and North FL, I was amazed to see gas stations full of people not wearing masks, even though there is signs saying "masks required" on the door, about 60% of the folks going in and out had no masks on, those that did wear, many wore them wrong not covering their noses of course. And even many with staff with no masks on either. Places we just stopped by but didn't even enter, we can see ton of people are just not giving any fucks about this.

Then I see online a big comic con is happening next weekend in Jacksonville. We are so fucked

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So was up in North FL, we decided to take a trip to get away so we rented a cabin in the woods away from everyone to vacation by ourselves safely. Course we had to stop for gas and such on the way to and from, but in Central and North FL, I was amazed to see gas stations full of people not wearing masks, even though there is signs saying "masks required" on the door, about 60% of the folks going in and out had no masks on, those that did wear, many wore them wrong not covering their noses of course. And even many with staff with no masks on either. Places we just stopped by but didn't even enter, we can see ton of people are just not giving any fucks about this

You traveled to north Florida. You don't get to tsk tsk others.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell is Collective Con still happening in Jacksonville next weekend? Granted it's not super huge but still, wtf? Isn't Jacksonville still in the top three areas for virus growth in the entire country?

Come take a picture with the green ranger and maybe possibly die!

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
The MLS tournament has been going since last week and they got there earlier to train, etc. I think this concern over the location of the NBA's "bubble" is overblown tbh. As long as the players stay in the bubble it's sort of moot where it's at. If they leave the bubble, they're at risk anywhere.

Yeah if they don't leave they are good. I know Disney World is right in the middle of it but they are in the safest location. Disney will do whatever they can to make sure it is safe.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a report just recently that about half of the students there were athletes, or kids of big donors?

Legacy admissions are actually slightly better qualified than the rest of the student population. Of course, there are exceptions. And there are plenty of people who don't get in that wouldn't have a problem with the coursework.

But this is the expected result because being legacy means one or both of your parents graduated Harvard. Leaving aside whether this is likely to actually make you more intelligent (nothing is guaranteed), it does almost always mean that your family is more financially secure than the average. It means you have parents that have actually applied to Harvard, been accepted, graduated, and then did well enough to donate in the first place. You are starting with a ton of advantages.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
We need to get out of the mindset that school reputation makes you smart. Ivy Leagues and the likes alumni are so successful because of the networks, a tremendous amount of them are fucking dumb as rocks.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
The MLS tournament has been going since last week and they got there earlier to train, etc. I think this concern over the location of the NBA's "bubble" is overblown tbh. As long as the players stay in the bubble it's sort of moot where it's at. If they leave the bubble, they're at risk anywhere.

That would be the case if everyone inside the bubble was staying in the bubble but hotel employee's working in the bubble are not staying in the bubble so it doesn't matter if the players leave the virus can still get in.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
How the hell is Collective Con still happening in Jacksonville next weekend? Granted it's not super huge but still, wtf? Isn't Jacksonville still in the top three areas for virus growth in the entire country?

Come take a picture with the green ranger and maybe possibly die!

Jacksonville and much of North FL is hardcore red territory and they don't give a damn. So many people not wearing masks, stores up there were not even requiring any type of covering and no enforcement.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
In Miami where masks are mandatory outside your home, there are still a good 30 to 40% of people who don't wear them.

Truly, Trump's election and the behavior of people during covid have wiped out an enormous amount of faith in mankind for me.

What is needed is for severe enforcement by cops. Big fines and jailing people without masks.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
In Miami where masks are mandatory outside your home, there are still a good 30 to 40% of people who don't wear them.

Truly, Trump's election and the behavior of people during covid have wiped out an enormous amount of faith in mankind for me.

What is needed is for severe enforcement by cops. Big fines and jailing people without masks.
If you go for a run or bike ride you need to wear a mask?

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
Remember, when the beds are fully occupied, the death rate for other diseases and causes goes up rapidly too, simply because there aren't enough professionals for so many patients.
Pretty much. Once surge capacity has been reached and there are no more hospital beds (which either has already happened or will be happening very soon) then you will see a large spike in deaths. Unfortunately it's only a matter of time.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
My bad. I forgot american cops love using their guns and strangling people of color to death.
NYC already proved that cops literally only ticketed black people and white people were left alone. It's unfortunate because I do agree people need to be slapped on the wrist for it. To bad our law enforcement is a fucking joke

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I am so upset about how most of my family members in Florida have acted in regards to this. Absolutely no compassion or consideration for others, including those they live with.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
cbs12.com

Florida breaks another single-day coronavirus record with more than 15,000 cases

TALLAHASSE, Fla. (WPEC) – Florida shattered another coronavirus record Sunday morning, adding 15,300 new cases with 45 additional deaths. According to the latest data, the state total of coronavirus cases stands at 269,811 with a total of 4,346 deaths. That is an increase in the death toll of...

Well this seems a lot worse than New York now, my goodness

Well New York actually started taking it seriously. Florida still isn't. Not surprising. Would have been more surprising if they were doing ok.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

The state needs serious new leadership. At least in Broward and Dade counties we have our code enforcement officials going around tossing around fines and actually closing places down who are fucking up. Several places have had their licensed revoked too. They need to do this state wide.