• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Pasco Sheriff's Office keeps a secret list of kids it thinks could "fall into a life of crime" based on factors like whether they've been abused or gotten a D or an F in school, according to the agency's internal intelligence manual.

The Sheriff's Office assembles the list by combining the rosters for most middle and high schools in the county with records so sensitive, they're protected by state and federal law.

School district data shows which children are struggling academically, miss too many classes or are sent to the office for discipline. Records from the state Department of Children and Families flag kids who have witnessed household violence or experienced it themselves.

According to the manual, any one of those factors makes a child more likely to become a criminal.

Four hundred and twenty kids are on the list, the Sheriff's Office said.

The process largely plays out in secret. The Sheriff's Office doesn't tell the kids or their parents about the designation. In an interview, schools superintendent Kurt Browning said he was unaware the Sheriff's Office was using school data to identify kids who might become criminals. So were the principals of two high schools.

The Department of Children and Families didn't answer when asked if it knew its data was being fed into such a system.
In a series of written statements, the Sheriff's Office said the list is used only to help the deputies assigned to middle and high schools offer "mentorship" and "resources" to students.

Asked for specifics, it pointed to one program where school resource officers take children fishing and another where they give clothes to kids in need.
Ten experts in law enforcement and student privacy questioned the justification for combing through thousands of students' education and child-welfare records.

They called the program highly unusual. Many said it was a clear misuse of children's confidential information that stretched the limits of the law.
The Sheriff's Office said its data sharing practices with the school district date back 20 years and are crucial to keeping campuses safe.

It added that only a juvenile intelligence analyst and the school resource officers have access to the list and the underlying data.

The agency also objected to the characterization of the list as potential future criminals, saying it was also designed to identify students at risk for victimization, truancy, self-harm and substance abuse.

But the intelligence manual — an 82-page document that school resource officers and other deputies are required to read — doesn't mention those other risks. Instead, in five separate places, it describes efforts to pinpoint kids who are likely to become criminals.

The office could not provide any documents instructing school resource officers to interpret the list another way.
When a reporter described the effort to Browning, he said he did not find it concerning.

"We have an agreement with the Sheriff's Office," the superintendent said. "The agreement requires them to use (the data) for official law enforcement purposes. I have to assume that's exactly what they are using it for."

Later, in a written statement, he added: "If there is any need to revisit any aspect of our relationship, we will do so in a thoughtful manner with the goal of keeping our students and staff safe."

Two members of the Pasco School Board, Megan Harding and Alison Crumbley, described the district's relationship with the Sheriff's Office as strong and referenced safeguards to protect students' privacy. The agreement between the two institutions says the Sheriff's Office must keep the records confidential and use them in legal ways.

The three other School Board members did not return calls or declined to comment.

The fuck?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
School to Prison pipeline in action folks. This is why schools should not have cops in schools. this is ridiculous

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Disgusting. One step closer to Minority Report and Psycho Pass.

I dread how the world will be when technology actually catches up to our machinations.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I swear out of the massive pile of fucked up shit that comes out of our police system, the most vile always comes from sheriff's offices.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
That's a crime and something that will be brought up in a court case if any of those kids ever get arrested for something in the future.

What a stupid idea

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
And of course he just keeps the list to wait until they may turn criminal and not reach out to them before... For what? So he could say "hey look at my list i knew it!"?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How many of them are white

5YNogGi.gif

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the cops are offering "mentorship" and "resources" aka they know what vulnerable children they can target for further abuse?

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Reading this I'm just thinking that based on my grades and my shenanigans I did as a teenager, I probably would have ended up on his electric chair list if he has one.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
The school to prison pipeline working as designed. I would have been apart of it myself if I didn't have friends who helped me tremendously. I'm thankful they kept my head on straight.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising this came from Pasco. That sheriff is a real piece of work. He is the same one who suggested that the armed citizens would be open to killing any "looters" during the initial weeks of the protests earlier this summer. Pasco
County is really like the Wild West here in FL.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Yup... pre-crime worked out super well for everyone in that Minority Report movie, I'm sure it'll go down swimmingly here too ... 🙄

Frank Lemon

Oct 27, 2017
The way I see it you're probably freest from the ages one to four
Around the age of five you're shipped away for your body to be stored
They promise education, but really they give you tests and scores
And they predictin' prison population by who scoring the lowest
And usually the lowest scores the poorest and they look like me
And everyday on evening news they feed you fear for free
And you so numb you watch the cops choke out a man like me
until my voice goes from a shriek to whisper, "I can't breathe"
And you sit there in the house on couch and watch it on TV
The most you give's a Twitter rant and call it a tragedy
But truly the travesty, you've been robbed of your empathy
Replaced it with apathy, I wish I could magically
Fast forward the future so then you can face it
And see how fucked up it'll be
I promise I'm honest, they coming for you
The day after they comin' for me

-Killer Mike

Last edited:

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Wow you've made a list of kids that surely could use some sort of assistance, might as well funnel them into prison instead! Fuck this country man.

Shouldn't be making a list anyway but it's just extra fucked.

Afro Thunder

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't even needs predictive technology or artificial intelligence to do this. What an achievement! /s

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

-Killer Mike

His IRL politics suffers from 'Loud But Wrong' guy in the Barbershop, but Mike's on wax politics are on point and coherent.

That said, depressing

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I've called ED classrooms "jail training" for a long time. I didn't expect to be that on the mark. Education reform now.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I swear out of the massive pile of fucked up shit that comes out of our police system, the most vile always comes from sheriff's offices.

This seems true to an extent in the South, due to the large jurisdictions and discretion that Sheriff's depts have there. But in other locations, police departments have done some terrible shit. Look at the decades-long, systematic campaign against black people by the NYPD or the Baltimore PD. Also, the LAPD and the Oakland PD have been involved in horrific, department-wide crimes against POC.

I think ACAB is a good rule of thumb.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

-Killer Mike
Never heard this song or beat, but I swear I can perfectly play Killer Mike rapping it in my head, bounce to it and everything.

The beat in my mind is fire.

Man, a future world based on minority report would be terrifying. Scary to think that could be our reality one day.
I think Psycho Pass is even worse, and matches what these people are doing. They hunt you down based solely on how the algorithm deems your potential to commit crime.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh look, police stigmatizing the victims of abuse. And these are the people that are supposed to 'help' victims? Fuck that.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In an ideal world, these children would be directly supported and given opportunities that they may have missed.

I mean, if you can predict crime through these factors, it only makes sense to put money towards combating these factors.

Effectively, they've made one of the arguments for defunding the police... and then veered sharply into another direction.

Sep 20, 2020
As someone who who has worked in child welfare and currently works in juvenile corrections, I am ok* with this idea.

First, let me point out I work in the behavioral health side of corrections with my primary focus on the sex offenders and other mental health programming.

I have done enough diagnostic assessments and court evaluations to know the sad reality is, most of the kids that have chronic truancy/absenteeism, low grades, that have a lengthy record with local PCSA have a much higher probability of having an extremely negative peer group and much more likely to criminally offend and end up in the juvenile justice system or the adult prison system. This is the reality. And nothing is going to change until the courts and laws change. In the mean time, anything that can be done to aid these disenfranchised youth, I am all for.

*I see day in and day out the inustices that an often times biased court system produces. If this information is truly used to help School Resource Officers target at risk youth to help them, I am all for it. I have worked alongside enough different law enforcement agencies and officers to know there are good ones out there to know this could become a valuable thing.

Last edited:

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bet you the for profit prisons want access to that data. gotta start them early so they become habitual residents of their jails.