• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when people said "the beaches are full but the numbers aren't that bad".

I remember 2 weeks after opening, and there was no spike, people were acting like that was it and corona wasn't a problem anymore and couldn't become one. When it's been clear that the 2 weeks wasn't the maker to look at it. It was, as now proven, 4-6 weeks. The virus takes a bit to spread (relative to symptoms), but when it finally infiltrates it moves fast.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Disney World gave themselves the slack to put the brakes on reopening parks. Let's see if they use it.
Yep, very smart of them. Universal opened up way too soon and now they're looking pretty bad. Universal should shut their parks immediately and Disney should delay opening for AT LEAST a month, probably longer.

Florida is a shit show right now. And it's not helping with all these tourists coming down to vacation.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit

Run NBA...RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

tenor.gif

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yep, very smart of them. Universal opened up way too soon and now they're looking pretty bad. Universal should shut their parks immediately and Disney should delay opening for AT LEAST a month, probably longer.

Florida is a shit show right now. And it's not helping with all these tourists coming down to vacation.
IIRC, Universal has basically abandoned distancing efforts in parks.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Damn, as a Ny'er im scared. The NY to FL pipeline is real with people travelling back and forth pretty often.
That's what's messed up about it, states that have been doing well could get screwed over if there are no travel restrictions between states. This should be a group effort with all states, but since there's no federal direction the measures are all over the place. If no action is taken the US will be still on its first wave when other countries could be dealing with a second

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I hate that I have to work in the office, at least I sit against a window and have no foot traffic and sit a cool 10ft away from the person across from me who already had it months ago. People gave up on masks here, especially younger people who go to bars.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Can we retire the phrase "Avoid it like the plague" because I don't think it's valid anymore.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Serious question ... do they just go full "herd immunity" at this point or do they close down again?

OP
OP
Maple

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Disney World gave themselves the slack to put the brakes on reopening parks. Let's see if they use it.

What do you mean? Because as someone who lives here and knows Cast Members, the July 15th reopening wasn't slack - it was the fastest they could reopen given the scale and complexity of mobilizing workers, resources, and everything else required to open up the parks.

Cast members are being called back as I type this. Disney Springs remains open. Food and supply trucks are dropping off cargo inside the parks. Nothing seems to be stopping or slowing down. It's full speed ahead.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Trump's going to Oklahoma next week and they just had a giant spike in cases yesterday, their highest reported yet.

This is going to get messy...

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Serious question ... do they just go full "herd immunity" at this point or do they close down again?
They should shut down again. They won't. Herd immunity ain't it. Sweden is trying that and failing miserably.

Hopefully the folks at Disney wise up and delay the opening. They don't need to contribute to this shit show.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to find a good source other than shitty local news, but the agency for health care administration is saying ICU beds are at 75% capacity now.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Many will say they won't close again. I think shit will get so bad that they're going to have to. They can fudge the deaths all they want by labeling them pneumonia, but overflowing hospitals are over flowing hospitals. By the time you get there, though, it will take weeks to get the numbers to level off, and then weeks to get them to even start dropping. So... lots of sick and dead and it's going to take a couple of months to get things back to where they are now even.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Just send the NBA to New Zealand. Or cancel the season once and for all. Just don't go to Florida.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Many will say they won't close again. I think shit will get so bad that they're going to have to. They can fudge the deaths all they want by labeling them pneumonia, but overflowing hospitals are over flowing hospitals. By the time you get there, though, it will take weeks to get the numbers to level off, and then weeks to get them to even start dropping. So... lots of sick and dead and it's going to take a couple of months to get things back to where they are now even.

It's up to the general public. If there is enough pushback things will close again. As it stands now, the majority don't seem to give a fuck anymore.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't a study just get released today that says COVID immunity doesn't last long after infection and may not exist at all?

There are so many studies concerning this that you might as well just conclude we don't know.

Although I will say New York's current case/death rate don't bear this out.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is the point where you start seeing scary growth if they don't take serious precautions.

Yet another loss the for GOP... DeSantis is a fucking idiot.

They better be careful, because if this starts affecting the elderly population in any major way Trump can kiss FLA goodbye.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

I think the only way America shuts down again is when their leaders are literally dying

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Damn, as a Ny'er im scared. The NY to FL pipeline is real with people travelling back and forth pretty often.
For real, though in my case it may be for reasons different than yours. I'm in northern NJ and a lot of people in the NY/NJ metro area have family in FL, myself included. Not a day goes by where I'm not worried about them. At least one family member works in the tourist industry too, so they're getting hit economically as well.

Sadly, we can't send our Gov. Murphy down to FL to call Floridians knuckleheads.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Just passed Pennsylvania in numbers of cases. Meanwhile, the PA GOP is trying to annul all emergency measures and impeach the governor.

Fortunately, people are noticing.

yup... its funny because that was a big story 7-10 days ago. The state republicans have shut up about it the last few days

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
the whole NBA thing sounds like a dumb idea, i mean you bring your whole family to disneyworld but you cant go to the parks, can you imagine how many kids are gonna be begging nonstop to go? how many parents are gonna give in and 'gobert' everything up?

ced

Oct 27, 2017
We're supposedly starting full school Aug 10th in Tallahassee. While our numbers are low here it's going to be a disaster by then.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
This is why you don't tell your citizens to sacrifice themselves for the economy.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's up to the general public. If there is enough pushback things will close again. As it stands now, the majority don't seem to give a fuck anymore.

Right, but things are going to keep getting worse and worse. I've thought for forever that the only way the holdouts are ever going to take it more seriously is when someone they know die. With 3k+ confirmed cases a day and a 10% positive test result meaning there are way more out there we don't know about, people are going to get to know death personally sooner rather than later.

Like, how bad could this be in two weeks? Or a month?

I think the only way America shuts down again is when their leaders are literally dying

I think it will be more individual states shutting down as things get beyond control there, not another near-country-wide shutdown. Maybe it will end up even being more local with counties shutting down instead of whole states. But, when we are literally out of hospital beds and we are putting bodies in hockey stadiums, something will happen. But, as I said, by then it's too late for things to get back under control in any quick fashion and without a lot of death.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Probably, yes. You'll also need to look at pneumonia reporting because more than likely, they will continue to downplay the role of COVID in official records.
That's extremely disappointing. And with everyone flooding in for Disney and then the NBA ... I can't imagine how much worse it'll get.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
China and SK get 30 something new cases and everything grinds to a halt. US gets 20,000 new cases and it's business as usual.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
I remember 2 weeks after opening, and there was no spike, people were acting like that was it and corona wasn't a problem anymore and couldn't become one. When it's been clear that the 2 weeks wasn't the maker to look at it. It was, as now proven, 4-6 weeks. The virus takes a bit to spread (relative to symptoms), but when it finally infiltrates it moves fast.

I think a source of the confusion at least for me was being told 2 weeks was the time it takes to quarantine after exposure.

It's becoming clear that the time to get the ball rolling in a population is longer than for an individual

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
yup... its funny because that was a big story 7-10 days ago. The state republicans have shut up about it the last few days
And, knock on wood, our numbers keep trending in the right direction, despite increased testing, the state (slowly) opening up, the various protests, and people going down the shore and partaking in other outdoor activities.

My girlfriends father just flew down from Philly to Florida last weekend to pickup his mother-in-law and bring her back to the Philly area for the summer. Obviously we were all super worried about it, but we made sure he took all the proper precautions (wearing a mask and a face shield on the flights), and seeing the Florida numbers now I'm kinda glad he got her out when he did.