• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
amp.miamiherald.com

Florida reports a new single-day record of more than 5,500 coronavirus cases

Florida’s Department of Health on Wednesday confirmed 5,508 additional cases of COVID-19, setting another daily total record high since the start of the pandemic. The state now has a total of 109,014 confirmed cases.

Positivity rate for daily cases is up to an all-time high as well: 15.9% (vs. 10.89% yesterday).

Governor DeSantis is said to be making a "major announcement" at 2:30 p.m. according to an article I was reading (trying to find it). (here. The article is borked on PC for me, but works fine on mobile)

EDIT:

Live stream of announcement:

thefloridachannel.org

Home - The Florida Channel

The Florida Channel Programs

and here:

www.firstcoastnews.com

Gov. DeSantis signs bill to increase teacher pay

The new bill will replace the Best and Brightest Award Program through the Florida Department of Education.

EDIT 2: The "major announcement" was a bill being signed. It was not covid-related.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
That case # plus positivity rate is a disaster.
This is blood on the government's hands. They were lucky enough not to be strongly affected in the early weeks and they completely blew their advantage.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Yep, it's fucking stupid. I work at a university. We are apparently opening the dorms back up in the fall. The student athletes are all here, training, so presumably the stadiums will also be open this fall.

Everywhere I go, people are wearing masks incorrectly with the exposed nose. Fuck Florida

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
The major announcement will be he can't do anything please use common sense. All said while not wearing a mask or gloves or being socially distant from others

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I'm going to have to tell my best friend that lives in Orlando who was coming to visit before he and his wife move to Vietnam that we'll have to meet up some other time.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Florida, Texas, and California all fared fairly well during the initial outbreak where New York was hit so hard. I'm sure NYC's density had some affect on the situation, but I'm afraid now that the virus is going to be just as bad in these states as it was for New York. Texas and Florida especially will lack the will the enforce strict masking guidelines. It's frightening and sad.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap. The 4th of July is going to be a bloodbath if they don't stop people now. I already know co-workers that are driving down for the 4th (some before, some during, and some after)

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Still a nothing burger hoax that's no worse than the flu.

/s

For real though, this surge and the others happening around the country have me thinking we're going to get hit hard in the next few weeks. This Fall is going to be especially rough.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019
Governor DeSantis is said to be making a "major announcement" at 2:30 p.m. according to an article I was reading (trying to find it). (here. The article is borked on PC for me, but works fine on mobile)
he's been doing it everyday since the increase and it usually amounts to saying "we can't shut down again" or "I can't mandate masks". His announcements are useless...

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
The one bright side is Tampa is now requiring everyone to be wearing masks within buildings. Not sure about the rest of the state.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, no one could've seen this coming... ...

(when is he going to be tried for mass murder? because that blood is on Desantis' hands)

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
FT5qnYB.jpg

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Florida still not sharing their number of hospitalizations data? That's the true indicator of exactly how bad a state is getting

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
It's just sad that this could have been avoided with better leadership. There were so many examples of how poorly this could go and they just decided to follow the worst ones.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
The numbers will continue to balloon with no restrictions in place. It's going to get nutty very soon.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I feel so bad for my home state. I live in Illinois now and feel very grateful for a (comparatively) sane state government. Our cases are back to what they were in mid-to-late March, much less than the the peak we hit in May.

My parents have been safe so far, but my mom is a teacher and she'll likely be heading back into the classroom in the Fall.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If this was taken more seriously much earlier, a lot of lives could have been spared. This is really sad and scary.