• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Facebook allowed a Florida police union to post an open hiring call for cops who were either fired or resigned over police brutality, murder, misconduct:

200608123658-01-brevard-county-florida-police-union-misconduct-trnd-exlarge-169.jpg

200608123932-02-brevard-county-florida-police-union-misconduct-trnd-exlarge-169.jpg

These two Facebook posts have since went viral and made the national news:

www.cnn.com

Florida police organization offers to hire cops who were fired or resigned over police misconduct

As the cries for police reform grow louder across the nation, some police departments are holding their officers accountable, firing or suspending those accused of excessive force during recent protests.

As the cries for police reform grow louder across the nation, some police departments are holding their officers accountable, firing or suspending those accused of excessive force during recent protests.

One Florida police organization has said it will re-hire those very officers accused of misconduct, and that offer is prompting outrage.

On Saturday, the Brevard County chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police posted a message on Facebook addressed to the "Buffalo 57" and "Atlanta 6," saying that it was "hiring."

"Buffalo 57" appears to refer to the 57 police officers in Buffalo, New York, who resigned from the force's emergency response team following the suspension of two officers who were captured on video pushing a 75-year-old protester to the ground.

"Atlanta 6" refers to the six Atlanta police officers who were booked, five on felony charges, after being accused of using excessive force on two black college students who were leaving a protest in their car. In a video recording of the incident, the officers are seen breaking the vehicle's windows, pulling the female student out of the car and tasing the male student.

"Lower taxes, no spineless leadership, or dumb mayors rambling on at press conferences... Plus... we got your back!" the Brevard County F.O.P. added in its post.

In another Facebook post made on Sunday, the organization made the same offer to the Minneapolis police, who are currently facing calls to be defunded and dismantled after four of its officers were charged for their involvement in George Floyd's death.

"Minneapolis officers... we will not disband our agencies or give in... we are hiring in Florida," the post said.

www.usatoday.com

Florida chapter of Fraternal Order of Police tells disciplined, jailed cops 'we are hiring'

A Fraternal Order of Police chapter is being criticized for a Facebook post telling the "Buffalo 57" and "Atlanta 6" to join local police departments.

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. – A Florida chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police posted a now deleted advertisement over the weekend calling on those officers involved in violent incidents in Buffalo and Atlanta to join the ranks of local police agencies, drawing howls of outrage from citizens across Florida.

"Hey Buffalo 57... and Atlanta 6... we are hiring in Florida. Lower taxes, no spineless leadership, or dumb mayors rambling on at press conferences... Plus... we got your back! #lawandorderFlorida," reads the June 6 post made at 1:21 a.m on the Brevard County F.O.P. Facebook page. The post, deleted sometime Monday morning garnered over 2,000 comments and 1,000 shares.

The Fraternal Order of Police is the largest organization of sworn law enforcement officers in the country, representing some 300,000 members across some 2,000 local "lodges." Critics say the non-profit organization is a major obstacle to policing reform through their advocacy and deep ties to police unions.

The President of the Brevard County lodge acknowledged that the post was legitimate and defended its recruiting efforts as well as the actions of the Buffalo and Atlanta police officers involved in the widely condemned incidents. Some of those officers have been arrested and face criminal charges.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the police union's "apology" over these two posts, so many comments calling out the police union:

Oct 25, 2017
Let me get this straight, the police want to hire racist, violent shit heads for the force?

...this is news how?

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Why do cities and elected officials let themselves be bullied like this by easily fireable public servants

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Why does every statement from police leadership always sounds like vaguely unhinged letter to the editor from your local paper?

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
well, that does sound like Florida all right

do these people even think what's happening and how it all sounds, before typing on social media whatever clever and edgy bullshit they can come up with?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That's why firing these fucks is not enough. They need to be disbarred from ever working in law enforcement again.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The FOP are scum, they once kept pushing me to donate on the phone and I kept telling them now, then the guy started to make comments about hope "you don't need help in the future", cause I wouldn't donate and get one of their car decals. Like they are pushing a protection racket

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Its funny how fast the cowards double downed then backed off when they saw the optics.

Just one more reason to defund the police

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah guys. More "Florida sucks" jokes! As a Florida resident I feel great that you guys find this a good time for tired overplayed memes.

Hope your bugabunnyflorida.gif's land well as our minority population gets beat up by racist cops from your state.

On topic though, this is like a job saying they prefer to hire people with a record. So stupid and infuriating.

Dec 23, 2017
I will say it again. It will get way worse before it gets better. So much will have to happen and honestly I don't think we are ready. The police have had power for a long time (look up their origin) and it's going to take a lot for them to even consider changing.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, is that really an apology? It's apologizing to cops for how "everyone else" is treating them.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
This sort of thing flew under the radar before, not anymore. These fired shitbag cops will actually have eyes following them for once.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
These police unions are so emboldened because they are so powerful and their officers get away with everything. Part of accountability means less protections for people who fuck up so badly on the job. We need to get rid of qualified immunity, create a nationwide database of bad cops, and have some sort of license that they can lose that prevents them from being able to work as cops if they lose it. Just like as an attorney I need a license to practice law and can lose it through state bar complaints. Police should be the same.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Probably I'm ignorant, but isn't Florida really high in minorities, specially latino population? I mean, that kind of ad looks less like a threat than like an open declaration of war...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Man that is a solid yike right there.

I'm sure he believes himself to still be "one of the good ones" despite casually encouraging as many bad ones as possible to apply to work in his county.

K.