• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
TALLAHASSEE — Florida is sitting on more than 980,000 unused doses of hydroxychloroquine, a drug President Donald Trump touted as a "game changer" in the fight against the coronavirus, after only a handful of hospitals in the state asked for access to the medicine.

Gov. Ron DeSantis said in April that the state was getting 1 million doses of the drug. The announcement was made during a press conference that came across as a commercial for hydroxychloroquine.

www.politico.com

Florida ordered 1M doses of a Trump-touted drug. Hospitals didn't want it

State is sitting on more than 980K doses of hydroxychloroquine.

Despite the governor's pitch, few hospitals have requested the drug, which was provided free-of-charge from Israeli drug maker Teva Pharmaceuticals in a deal DeSantis said was facilitated by U.S. Ambassador to Israel David Friedman.

Only 16,100 doses have been shipped to six hospitals as of Thursday, according to state records provided to POLITICO. The biggest batch — 7,500 — went to Baptist health in Duval County. The rest went to hospitals owned by Altamonte Springs-based AdventHealth.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how many masks and ventilators that money could've bought...

Edit: So it was free, nevermind...

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Red state politicians continuing to show what the definition of incompetence is at the detriment of everyone in their constituency.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Ok, what's the catch? Why would a foreign pharmaceutical company give a million units of a drug away for free.

What deal was brokered?

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
It's really really fucked up how these people listen to Trump rather than the advice medical experts and scientists.

Xia

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
For free? Why the hell would they get that for free? Sounds like bullshit.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
This just means we clearly have a systemic lupus erythematosus crisis on top of a pneumonia crisis in Florida. When is the media gonna report that?!

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Better give it to people who actually need it and not experiment with it on people with Covid19.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if they're giving em out for free why not take it. He should just distribute to other states for people that need it for other illnesses.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Might as well request 1m doses of Oreos and Laughy Taffy. Might actually even be better for you.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope this would go towards people with autoimmune diseases that need it for reduced costs but I doubt it

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Isn't the drug also used for treating Arthritis? Not like there's a whole lot of Malaria in Florida so use it for that.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Trump desperately wanted this drug to work and make sure that Florida and other red states were stocked and ready to go, while other blue states fought for smaller stockpiles of it.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why not accept it and give it to people who genuinely need that drug? not talking corona virus but whatever that drug was originally meant to treat.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I'm sure all those people in other states who need it to treat their Lupus appreciate it.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I promise you Teva has sent a nice kickback check to an offshore account in the name of Ronald Gump. All joking aside, there is so much under the counter shadiness going on, its disgusting.