• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

201121081436-02-alligator-attack-puppy-exlarge-169.jpg

edition.cnn.com

Florida retiree wrestles puppy from jaws of alligator | CNN

In a dramatic encounter recorded by surveillance cameras, a Florida man chased an alligator under water and rescued his 3-month-old puppy from the jaws of death.

In a dramatic encounter recorded by surveillance cameras, a Florida man chased an alligator under water and rescued his 3-month-old puppy from the jaws of death.

Richard Wilbanks, 74, of Estero ran into his backyard pond, wrestled the gator above surface, and pried its jaws open to free Gunner, his Cavalier King Charles spaniel.

"We were just out walking by the pond," Wilbanks told CNN, "and it came out of the water like a missile. I never thought an alligator could be that fast. It was so quick."

He said adrenaline or instinct kicked in, and "I just automatically jumped into the water."

Holding the alligator wasn't so tough, but prying open the jaws was "extremely hard," he said.

Wilbanks said his hands were "chewed up," and he went to a doctor for a tetanus shot.

Gunner had one puncture wound in his belly and did fine after a trip to the veterinarian's office.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I will admit I wasn't expecting such a tiny gator, but it makes sense that that is the only way the puppy would survive with such little damage. Glad the dog is doing ok, and even with such a small gator that dude is brave af.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry Gator; sometimes extenuating circumstances get in the way. Glad the puppy was relatively unharmed. Good on Florida Man.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't help or anything, just keep filming yeah. Presumably they felt no need as the alligator was only a foot long. I give this whole saga 5 tiny alligators out of 10.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah he's lucky it was a small gator.

The muscles that close a gators jaws are very powerful. Which is why he says it was very tough to get them open. The opposite is true about the ones used to open the jaws. That's why alligator wrestlers can easily hold a full grown gator's mouth closed during their shows and why you can simply use some duct tape take to keep the mouth closed during transport.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Good for him.

I'm surprised he didn't know not to walk small dogs anywhere near most bodies of water in Fl.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alligator? More like a plus size lizard. I was expecting a full grown alligator that had swallowed the dog whole and the man had sliced it open to retrieve the dog.

Jul 3, 2019
Alligators are most dangerous close to the waters edge, they strike incredibly fast. That dog and old man are lucky it was young small alligator.

Dec 31, 2017
Brehs I wouldn't want to be near a gator of that size either. That shit could rip your hand off.

also lol at the cigar in the mouth the whole time.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Between this and YouTube yesterday showing a house cat being killed by a mountain lion I'm having nightmares about my pets.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
That dude is a legend. I would have done the same thing. I'm not sure I would have been successful though. I would have murdered that ducking croc

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alligators' mouths are a hell of a lot easier to keep shut than they are to open. Like trying to pry open a rusted bear trap

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's hella badass. Gators, even small ones, have incredible bite force. Glad both the man and the puppy are okay.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Like the guy said in the interview, that shit's just instinct to save the thing you love. Good job Florida Man, you've come a ways from taking bath salts and eating people's faces.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Many of the people dismissing the aligator size would probably got a new dog before risking losing a finger.

Like the guy said in the interview, that shit's just instinct to save the thing you love. Good job Florida Man, you've come a ways from taking bath salts and eating people's faces.

True you dont really think much about what you are doing, my beagle once was bit by an american stanford through a fence and i put my hands in its mouth trying to open it and to hold it in place, later i realized i was lucky only got a couple of scratches.