• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The average tax refund is usually a couple of thousand dollars, but a man in Florida who earned less than $3,500 mistakenly received a check for a much higher amount: $980,000.

How?

He filed his taxes.

The man, 29-year-old Ramon C. Blanchett, filed a 2016 income tax return in February 2017 that included a W-2 from Bridges Nursing and Rehabilitation in Tampa, Fla., showing $17,098 in wages and $1 million of federal income tax withholding, according to a forfeiture complaint filed last month by the United States government in federal court in Tampa, Fla.

But Mr. Blanchett was actually paid $2,098 and no tax was withheld, according to the complaint, which was first reported by The Tampa Bay Times.

Mr. Blanchett submitted a 1040 form that also said $1 million in taxes had been withheld, and that led the Internal Revenue Service to issue a refund for $980,000, according to the complaint.

And he kept the money, the complaint said — until the I.R.S. found out about the error.

The complaint did not mention how the W2 came to include incorrect information. Representatives for Bridges Nursing and Rehabilitation did not respond to a request for comment this week.

Mr. Blanchett also submitted another W2, which was accurate, showing $1,399 in income from Sizzling Platter, a restaurant in Murray, Utah, and no withholding, the complaint said.

Remember to do your taxes, the IRS might fuck up and give you almost a million dollars.

Oct 27, 2017
So if it takes them a while to figure out, do you get to keep the interest accrued if you put the amount in a high-interest savings account?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
What's the legality on errors like this?

Him keeping the money is concidered a legit crime?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Hey, with all the billion dollar corporations getting refunds or paying nothing this year, I'd of kept it in protest lol

I'd get fucked, but it'd be a very visible protest

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
A charity we donate to sent us a form incorrectly saying we had donated thousands of dollars. Even after I tried contacting them saying there's no way we donated that much, they insisted we had.

I just put in the correct amount. It's nothing to mess around with.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
"He then put the money into an account at Grow Financial, telling the bank that the money came from the estate of his deceased father, the documents said. "

Probably shouldn't have done that.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
What's the legality on errors like this?

Him keeping the money is concidered a legit crime?
I would imagine you'd have a duty to check that everything that you're submitting to the IRS is accurate. I remember signing some document saying as much when I filed recently. His filing that he had $1 million withheld is pretty blatantly false, so the responsibility rests with him.
The IRS's fuck up was sending the check before verifying

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should have bought bitcoin or something and lie that he had programmed a script that automatically buys bitcoin with any money he gets on his accounts, and then tell he forgot the password for the wallet. Genius.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing no. Like I want to say yes... but you know there is some law there to fuck you over.

You fucked yourself over when you kept it.

Should have bought bitcoin or something and lie that he had programmed a script that automatically buys bitcoin with any money he gets on his accounts, and then tell he forgot the password for the wallet. Genius.

IRS: Good for you. Return it or you're fucked.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine you'd have a duty to check that everything that you're submitting to the IRS is accurate. I remember signing some document saying as much when I filed recently. His filing that he had $1 million withheld is pretty blatantly false, so the responsibility rests with him.
The IRS's fuck up was sending the check before verifying

Ah, i somehow missed this detail. Thanks.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Unlike most 'florida man' stories I understand why he did what he did. I don't approve, but I understand.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"He then put the money into an account at Grow Financial, telling the bank that the money came from the estate of his deceased father, the documents said. "

Probably shouldn't have done that.
Yeah, that's where he's going to get into trouble. Don't lie about stuff like that. Just tell the truth.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
His mistake was keeping the money (and himself) in the country. Should have taken it and fled.

No I'm not being serious.