• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article260313745.html

Florida's Republican legislative leaders announced on Monday that they are not crafting a new congressional map but will rather defer to Gov. Ron DeSantis to draft new maps that will be to his liking.

The unusual move comes a week before state lawmakers are scheduled to head back to Tallahassee to address the state's redistricting maps after DeSantis vetoed a congressional map approved by the GOP-dominated Legislature last month.

Historically, the Legislature had led the redistricting process. The change to the status quo shows just how much influence and power DeSantis wields over legislators and the once-in-a-decade process of redrawing lines for congressional districts.

Maximum fuckery.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
something something if I said what I wished happened to republicans I would get banned

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Well, he's an idiot so hopefully he fucks it up.

He really isn't. He's an asshole and a piece of shit, but he's not an idiot and knows what he's doing. He's far more dangerous than Trump with power as he's evil and knows how to actually get what he wants and has some brains to manipulate people.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Isn't this unconstitutiona--

You know what, nevermind.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I can see this going well for Florida's future. I guess people voted to not have one and that's what they're getting.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Has this *ever* happened before? I feel like a governor straight up drawing the map is completely unprecedented.

Seems super unconstitutional too, but the current SCOTUS thinks it's not a court problem so I bet his map will stand long enough for the midterms at least.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Wasn't the whole point of his map to gerrymander out two Black congresswomen who are Dems? Great shit all around. Thank you, John Roberts.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Wasn't the whole point of his map to gerrymander out two Black congresswomen who are Dems? Great shit all around. Thank you, John Roberts.

Yep.

Blacks remain a target. What else is new for the bastion of racism and hatred that is the Republican Party.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
surely he will draw a map that is free and fair for all Floridians

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Has this *ever* happened before? I feel like a governor straight up drawing the map is completely unprecedented.

Seems super unconstitutional too, but the current SCOTUS thinks it's not a court problem so I bet his map will stand long enough for the midterms at least.

I'm not sure it's inherently unconstitutional as the Legislature draws maps. If the Legislature defers to DeSantis to draw the maps that's up to them. Now, the maps themselves afterward can be unconstitutional.

Essentially, instead of making maps that DeSantis keeps vetoing, they'll just use whatever map he maps.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
These idiots are super unAmerican. Lawless lowlifes that hate poc. And for what reason really? Fucking out of touch traitors. Like, move to Russia you fucks.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure it's inherently unconstitutional as the Legislature draws maps. If the Legislature defers to DeSantis to draw the maps that's up to them. Now, the maps themselves afterward can be unconstitutional.

Essentially, instead of making maps that DeSantis keeps vetoing, they'll just use whatever map he maps.
Gotcha. Good thing the SCOTUS ruled that partisan gerrymandering isn't a problem for federal courts 🙃

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Has anyone actually been banned for this?

People have banned in the past for calling for death on people, yes. I'm pretty sure saying stuff like 'get the guillotines out' was bannable at one point. Not sure if that's still the case or not, but people are cautious enough so I assume it's still at least partially true

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
How long until he declares himself King of Florida?

He doesn't need to when he can get the Legislature to do what he wants as it is.

Gotcha. Good thing the SCOTUS ruled that partisan gerrymandering isn't a problem for federal courts 🙃

If the Legislature can make maps with strategists, lobbyists, and think tanks, I don't think they would rule that the Governor can't have this input.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to blanketly ask "Whats the worm-brained reasoning behind this?" and upon reading the article it appears to be that Republicans in the Florida legislature are just spineless fucking wimps afraid of being primaried. Makes sense.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If life hasn't made it clear that karma isn't real by now, I don't know what to tell you. No cosmic retribution waits for these folks, they'll reap rewards until they die.
Yeah unfortunately as long as things go as they are karma is a life of 80+ years of clean living, golf, yachts, parties, food, travel, political connections, extramarital affairs, and even if they go earlier, a nice obituary writeup and headlines for a week commemorating what fine and upstanding individuals they were.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
But they actually are still finding maps that blatantly dilute Black representation is a problem. Hopefully that trend continues once this racist dipshit's maps get challenged.
I believe those challenges all happening at the sate level now though. If Florida's Supreme Court ends up okaying the map then there's no other recourse AFAIK.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
When the super partisan map the Republican Legislature was making isn't good enough you might as well change the title from Governor to Super Fascist.

May 26, 2018
At this point DeSantis is the despot of Florida. Defining the shape of his own government like this... if there had ever been separation between Florida's executive and its other branches, that's... gone now.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Let me tell you a story Children.. of how R's use U-S Court System.

1. Desantis draws clearly unconstitutional maps right before the Midterm Elections. It's signed into law.
2. The Maps are challenged in Court.
3. Well it's too close to the elections to make any major changes.. so I guess we will have to use the Desantis ones until it moves through the courts!
4. Profit.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unless something truly vile comes out, like him found out to be a pedophile or something, it never will. He may not reach the heights that he wants (aka becoming President one day), but nothing truly deserving will happen to him.
Wasn't there some politician in Alabama that almost got elected despite pretty much being a pedophile? Doubt this would stop a republican in Florida.

Blue Mage

Oct 29, 2017
Portland, OR
People like DeSantis and Trump aren't stupid. They know what they're doing and they also know there's no consequences if they mess up so they can swing for the fences with fuckery and eventually some of it sticks.

If you're drawing a distinction between intelligence and like, political instincts or parlaying charisma into political success I can agree with the latter. But if you're suggesting that Trump is truly a smart person and all we ever see is 'the mask', cmon now, lol. He's demonstrably dumb as shit and always has been. He's skated through life with cheat mode on and has not one intellectual bone in his body. Possessing some degree of cunning or populist appeal is very different than raw intellectual aptitude, and thank fuck he doesn't have it all.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Unless something truly vile comes out, like him found out to be a pedophile or something, it never will. He may not reach the heights that he wants (aka becoming President one day), but nothing truly deserving will happen to him.

He could be and is protecting Gaetz from being prosecuted
EyBNHKZXEAAyshp.jpg