• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I just...I don't understand how this is legal. Public schools are a branch of the government and aren't supposed to religious, yet so many states (mine included) are fucking everything up in the name of religion. If you want a religious school there are plenty out there fucking hell.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
This is practically asking for a brain drain to happen, or a long term state collapse with all this stuff recently.

Jawson

Jan 20, 2022
There's definitely an attempt to make 'Social Emotional Learning' amongst people a new scary buzzword.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
March is nice but it goes straight to scorching heat after that and stays that way until about october/November

It gets humid in NY too except I can't even afford a space with a pool. So when I'm comparing weather, I think I'd go with the Florida weather. But that's not to dismiss any other states that have way better weather than both.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
8613a1d5-4172-4283-8231-6ab68707c615_text.gif

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
There's no push from Democrats to at least get a seat on the Senate. They pretty much abandoned the state

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna bring in their own Qommon Qore.

I apologize to the ghost of Lou Costello.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Knowledge is freedom, enforced ignorance isn't.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
How slow what is?

Common Core is a list of what students should learn and understand. That's it.
You must be complaining about a workbook. Or a textbook. Or a teacher.
A lot of states do have a suggested curriculum that goes along with common core that is, if we're being honest, total ass. Not everyone uses it though.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Enforced ignorance is a threat to any nations national security. They should be brought up on charges for threatening that.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean -30 + (-20) ? Or is the joke that it doesn't make sense?

Already addressed, but it was from Idiocracy. But the dude doesn't know how to do math in the movie and was actually trying to ask what 30-20 was. I don't know if this site is alright with this site (I don't think it has anything illegal), but here's the clip for context.

https://clip.cafe/idiocracy-2006/there-someone-a-long-time-ago-s6

Oh and bonus clip for the "time machine" referenced...

www.youtube.com

Idiocracy - The UN and the Time Masheen

"Idiocracy," 2006; co-written by Mike Judge and Etan Cohen.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
www.gse.harvard.edu

What Happened to the Common Core?

Just a few years ago, the Common Core state standards were quickly adopted by 45 states and D.C. Now, some states are opting out, and the initiative has come under intense fire from parents, educators, and politicians.
So right wing backlash against the government doing anything, general distaste for standardized testing, and people not liking changes in teaching math.

Obviously I grew up on the old standards but from what I've heard Common Core teaches math like how a computer performs math, which as someone who's been an EE for a decade is how I do it and think it's the best way.

I wonder how different Common Core is from Korea, Japan, UK, France, or Germany's curriculum.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Does that mean -30 + (-20) ? Or is the joke that it doesn't make sense?
No. He's just asking what 30 minus 20 is. But everyone in that movie/future is dumb as bricks that even the one guy from the past (of extremely average intelligence) is the smartest man alive. So the one dude questioning doesn't use the correct terminology of math, well, and even English for that matter. It's really on the nose. Good stuff.

It's a really good and funny film. Watch it!

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
So right wing backlash against the government doing anything, general distaste for standardized testing, and people not liking changes in teaching math.

Obviously I grew up on the old standards but from what I've heard Common Core teaches math like how a computer performs math, which as someone who's been an EE for a decade is how I do it and think it's the best way.

I wonder how different Common Core is from Korea, Japan, UK, France, or Germany's curriculum.

I've taught in both the US and Korea, Korea's curriculum is extremely rote-memorization based, which (as that article says) is the opposite direction of common core.

I think common core in general was rolled out without much data to support it being the better system, and around the time it was rolled out a lot of states were rolling out ways to tie standardized testing to teacher evaluations (which, as a teacher, I think sounds great on paper, but when you suddenly introduce a new way of learning (and teaching), give it a decade or two for people to get used to), which usually effects bonuses.

I'm all for a common curriculum, but I think the roll out was what led the left, right, and lots of people in general to despise it.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Common core math is just writing out on paper how people actually do math in their heads by grouping the ones, tens, and so on together and doing the math there and bundling it all together for the answer at the end.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Common core math is just writing out on paper how people actually do math in their heads by grouping the ones, tens, and so on together and doing the math there and bundling it all together for the answer at the end.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you or it's been too long since my course where we made an ALU(Arithmetic Logic Unit?) that's how a computer does it.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
I've taught in both the US and Korea, Korea's curriculum is extremely rote-memorization based, which (as that article says) is the opposite direction of common core.

I think common core in general was rolled out without much data to support it being the better system, and around the time it was rolled out a lot of states were rolling out ways to tie standardized testing to teacher evaluations (which, as a teacher, I think sounds great on paper, but when you suddenly introduce a new way of learning (and teaching), give it a decade or two for people to get used to), which usually effects bonuses.

I'm all for a common curriculum, but I think the roll out was what led the left, right, and lots of people in general to despise it.

Gotcha, the implementation certainly seems to be shit, and I feel a great deal of sympathy for those railing against standardized tests as the end all be all.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the disgruntlement on the math changes, I think going all at once on a concept teachers weren't well versed in was a bad idea and tying their ability to teach only that new method into their ratings is terrible.

But this video does nothing to make me believe Common Core Math is a flawed idea.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
i just don't like how slow it is

nice try on the gotcha though
Are you talking about "common core math?" For most arithmetic, it's going to be more steps but way faster to evaluate. It seems slower when students have to write all the steps out (to help them retain the knowledge) but they will be able to much more quickly do even complex arithmetic.

Source: I coach competitive math teams and this is how the fastest players evaluate expressions. I spend a lot of time with their parents and 100% of dislike for "common core math" is some variation of "that's not how I learned it." Which is why Columbus is still taught as a hero and dinosaurs aren't depicted with feathers.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely an attempt to make 'Social Emotional Learning' amongst people a new scary buzzword.
My dad is a special education trainer, meaning he holds seminars and goes to schools helping instruct teachers on special ed techniques. It cracks him up every time "social emotional learning" is used as a scary phrase on Fox News or whatever. Conservatives love scare words so much, they willfully ignore this being standard practice in special education for decades.

Last edited:

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
It depends on the school but some teachers don't even use textbooks anymore. They use problem-set programs with lecture/notes and youtube links and let the kids rip.

For algebra kids use apps to find the answer since they don't have to show work.