• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
According to Worldometer Florida had the most deaths yesterday for any state in the US at 172.

Edit: clarified time period
As I posted in yesterday's Disneyland thread:

Deaths Reported. Deaths are reported each day but aren't attributed to the day itself. This is commonly misunderstood, even among people in Florida.

When you graph the deaths to the date they actually occurred, we've actually seen a steep drop off. Here's an animated version of that progress:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/749076961883848775/757283732574044242/Backfilled_Deaths.gif

It is so important for people to understand the data that they're posting because it requires context, so please consider that.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
what the, our city had to go to single digit daily new cases before we went into 50% capacity

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
As I posted in yesterday's Disneyland thread:

Deaths Reported. Deaths are reported each day but aren't attributed to the day itself. This is commonly misunderstood, even among people in Florida.

When you graph the deaths to the date they actually occurred, we've actually seen a steep drop off. Here's an animated version of that progress:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/749076961883848775/757283732574044242/Backfilled_Deaths.gif

It is so important for people to understand the data that they're posting because it requires context, so please consider that.

Over 13k died from Covid in Florida. That's all the info you need.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
On topic though, I read the article and his reasoning was that two counties (one who opened restaurants and one who kept them closed) I guess saw no noticeable difference in their infection curves.

Not excusing it, but it seems this decision is based on that. To be fair, most bars and restaurants haven't exactly been closed this entire time while our cases and deaths dropped off. Won't be surprised to see a spike though if it does happen.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
I am surprised people literally haven't dragged Republicans to the street and beat them already. Like, they are killing you, laughing at you, and basically ruining everything decent in your country. The amount of shit Americans go through would make most countries implode.
Because doing so is the point of no return. We have armed militia salivating at the chance to start slaughtering protestors. We'd have to fight the heavily militarized police and their bootlicker armed militia that somehow in the past 200 years got manipulated into protecting the state.

Oct 28, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So is Florida now fully reopen? Are there any restrictions on anything at this point?

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Here comes a massive infection rate and potential increase in deaths.

DeathSanthis is his permanent name now.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
WTF does "minimum of 50% capacity" mean? If you have a restaurant that can hold 100 people, you're not allowed to just have 20 people inside eating? You have to be at least half full in order to operate? How would that possibly be enforced? Whoever shows up to the restaurant first won't be allowed to enter because it's not half full yet?

It just means that if a restaurant normally holds a maximum of 100 people, you have to have enough seating in place to accommodate at least 50 people (though I'm sure they prefer if seating for the full 100 is there). You don't need 50 people in there all the time, just the ability to have 50 people there.

I see they've also gone with the standard Republican playbook of 'localities can't pass their own restrictions', which they always turn to when they want to pass regressive legislation in locations with more progressive regions. In other words, not only is the state stupid, cities and towns aren't even allowed to do something less stupid.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
DeathSantis really wants to hit a quarter million deaths before Election Day.

After all, he isn't called DeathSantis for nothing.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
LOL, goodness.

Floridian here. I've only gone inside of a restaurant to pick up food. Guess now I'll have to be extra brisk.

EDIT: We're in phase 3 now? I think that means my office has to return back :-/ No word from my boss yet

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just in time for the Snowbirds to start showing up too

Gotta get you some Rona with that early bird special.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
2,847 new cases in the last 24 hours, plus 120 more people dead. Perfect time to reopen everything. /s

Not that I had any desire to ever go back to Florida, but this confirms I'm staying the fuck away from that state for years to come.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Hrm. So where's this red state bailout? Outside of him sucking off our dictator in chief, this is mostly about unemployment and the fact they can't afford it. The irony is that everyone feared Trump was holding out for red states, when in reality a bailout was coming for no states.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not agreeing with this decision, just trying to provide context instead of hot takes. I had covid and so did 5 of my friends, so I definitely take it seriously these days.

It's not a hot take. Reported deaths are still fucking awful. What does your context help exactly? Florida is doing tragically, even if it's not as bad as it was. We won't even know the full context of deaths for a long time. It sucks.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I am surprised people literally haven't dragged Republicans to the street and beat them already. Like, they are killing you, laughing at you, and basically ruining everything decent in your country. The amount of shit Americans go through would make most countries implode.
This is not realistic, ethical, or wise.

Hopefully, folks are smart and continue to social distance.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
These restaurants will be packed to the brim. I live in Minnesota and was gonna go out to eat last Sunday and they had every table packed with a 40 minute wait. I walked out.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how the restaurants will respond. Every place I've been to is mostly pickup and require masks. Hopefully, some ignore this nonsense.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I will continue to avoid going to bars and indoor restaurants until cases die down then.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Their whole thing is to claim the popular vote is fraudulent and shouldn't count.
That's a fair point. But they would have to get the popular vote thrown out first before they could do anything.

Even in 2000 all that happened was a recount was cancelled so the previous results stood. The entire popular vote wasn't kicked out.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
It's not a hot take. Reported deaths are still fucking awful. What does your context help exactly? Florida is doing tragically, even if it's not as bad as it was. We won't even know the full context of deaths for a long time. It sucks.
Of course they're still awful. But to post information with incorrect context paints a very different picture of the situation, when the corrected info is what these decisions are being based on. I'm not wrong for trying to inject context; regardless of everything else, we're nowhere near the worst when it comes to deaths now.

As shown here, we're seeing a slight increase in cases, appearing to stem from UF and FSU judging by the map. I'm sure this decision will worsen that.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/florida-coronavirus-cases.html

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Money before lives. The American way!

Good luck Florida Era. Hope you all stay safe and healthy ♥️

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Every other state needs to ban any Floridian from traveling to their state, right now.

And for transparency sake, I live in Florida and trust me, we need to be banned.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Why oh why oh why oh why do these conservatives always do the worst thing as the only thing, every fucking time?

This "push for normalcy" has already gotten people killed, and we've failed every fucking metric of keeping this under control.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All the dipshit mayors and owners in France should fly to Florida. They're revolting ATM because they're told to close, and the public opinion is like "eh, they're not wrong".