• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is pretty common. In the seat that I was canvasing for one of the competitors basically paid someone with a similar name to just run, without actually campaigning or anything.
So it's basically like how smaller companies ape movie blockbusters around the same time in an attempt to ride the hype?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Of course this happened in Florida. That should be illegal and force a new election.

Can't Florida just stop trying to be so "Florida" for once?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The real fraud was the GOP friends we made along the way

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the ballet say what party affiliation the candidate is? Why would someone wanting to vote Democrat see 2 Rodriguez's and not vote for the one with "(D)" next to their name?

This is a shitty thing to do regardless. Just emphasizes (if my previous paragraph is correct) that you really have to do your research before getting out to vote.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
912a1a53-4a49-4d87-bd06-a13c2e2bd39e-large16x9_040edd1c89e847b7b84bca7755da21d0large16x9_deeznuts.PNG.jpg
Deez nuts was a real kid

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a double whammy in that it gave independents/republicans unhappy with Trump and the R's an actual 3rd option rather than leaving it as a blank or write in.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
There should be a law called "If you don't want to play FAIR, you ain't playin' AT ALL!" in which any candidate/campaign team/members of the party that resorts to cheating/fraud INSTANTLY forfeit their place in the race, or if they've been elected, are immediately stripped of their position and suspended from attaining political office for X amount of years (IMO, maybe forever). Basically, you wanna play, you wanna be elected to a powerful, high position within our nation, be it having powe over state affairs or an impact of nationwide affairs, you're gonna have to do it STRAIGHT. You result to bullshit, your ASS IS GRASS!

That's just me, though. Republicans ain't gonna get penalized or shit for pulling this stunt.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Only one party out there routinely engaging in voter suppression, fraud, and now openly musing on whether to conduct a coup or not. Republicans will burn this country down to keep it white.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
So many people want to progress forward but these old rich redneck Republicans are manipulating and cheating this country so badly that we will never be able to fully move forward. :(

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017

Spoiler alert: here's how that race turned out.

www.orlandosentinel.com

Brodeur defeats Sigman in tight Senate race as GOP maintains hold on Legislature

TALLAHASSEE – Florida Republicans still hold the reins in the Legislature after Democrats failed to flip seats in key races in Central and South Florida, according to unofficial vote totals r…

Oct 25, 2017
Let me tell you about a Dem analogue from this past cycle.

We have constables here in Texas, with their own mini fiefdoms that run parallel to the sheriffs.

One of our Houston constables apparently realized that his wife's cousins shared the name of his opponent and put him up to run in the dem primary as an attempt to split the vote. It didn't work, the voters selected the "right" guy with the name and the incumbent lost in the primary.

The name of the opponent (and cousin)? Jerry Garcia.

www.houstonchronicle.com

Jerry-rigged? Second Garcia withdraws from Harris County constable’s race but remains on ballot

Another man named Jerry Garcia running for the post says the turn of events is further...

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Is this about the senate of the US? Or is this "only" locally in Florida? I ask because of the name "State Senate".
Each state has their own Senate, this is for Florida's Senate.

To be more clear, precise have their own individual constitutions that define how the state government is organised. The vast majority of states have just copied the federal bicameral structure -- with a Senate plus an additional "lower" house --, but Nebraska did not. (They have a unicameral legislature instead. Members are called senators but the body itself is just called "the Nebraska Legislature".)

So yeah, almost every state has its own Senate. But I think it's important for non-Americans to understand that states have their own constitutions separate from the overall US Constitution. Sort of an "American Politics are Weirder Than You Thought" teachable moment.

Boom Roasted

Feb 8, 2018
We need ranked choice in all states. When there isn't a 50% split.
This guy fux

On a serious note, I see a lot of patting on the back for the democrats winning the presidential election. I understand why, but I think it is shortsighted since reform was on the ballot this year and was largely rejected by the electorate. There were some gains in terms of diversity of representation in some local and congressional contests, but I haven't seen much movement on reform issues like ranked choice voting, MFA, or the green new deal. I'm skeptical that the energy needed to vote out Trump can be harnessed for these much needed reforms.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
I have a somewhat unique last name, or at least I thought I did. Teachers, especially subs, trying to pronounce it was comical (really annoying to a young kid).
I moved about an hour north, and I was shocked when I saw my last name... park. Then saw a congress sign. They are rebublican. I've often wondered if I could run against them, or any office, based on my name alone.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually kind of pathetic that this party will go to such extreme lengths to win. Like, some of the shit I've seen over the past week is just so sad and pathetic.

GreenMachine

Oct 27, 2017
something similar to this happened in my small shockingly liberal florida town a few years ago. republicans paid a black republican to run as an "independent" and he never advertised anything about his political affiliation on his signage or during his campaign really. but he was able to peel a couple thousand votes off the dem candidate, so the slimeball main republican candidate managed to squeak by into the state house. republicans in this state are pure evil. though i guess that's true just about everywhere.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
If you support liberalizing ballot access and making the viability of third parties/candidates possible, stuff like this is part of the deal. Of course it's scummy, but it's your job as a candidate/party to inform your voters who to vote for. Every cycle the two major parties make a flurry of legal challenges to legit parties (Greens, Libertarians) to keep them off the ballot so they don't "steal" votes, too. The onus is ultimately on your campaign to make sure people know how to identify you on the ballot.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
To be more clear, precise have their own individual constitutions that define how the state government is organised. The vast majority of states have just copied the federal bicameral structure -- with a Senate plus an additional "lower" house --, but Nebraska did not. (They have a unicameral legislature instead. Members are called senators but the body itself is just called "the Nebraska Legislature".)

So yeah, almost every state has its own Senate. But I think it's important for non-Americans to understand that states have their own constitutions separate from the overall US Constitution. Sort of an "American Politics are Weirder Than You Thought" teachable moment.
In fact both things are true in Germany as well (each state has its own parliament and constitution), though luckily, we do not have this asinine winner takes it all voting system. I was just unsure whether "State Senate" referenced a state-specific parliament or whether it was a term for the national senate in the US.

GreenMachine

Oct 27, 2017
If you support liberalizing ballot access and making the viability of third parties/candidates possible, stuff like this is part of the deal. Of course it's scummy, but it's your job as a candidate/party to inform your voters who to vote for. Every cycle the two major parties make a flurry of legal challenges to legit parties (Greens, Libertarians) to keep them off the ballot so they don't "steal" votes, too. The onus is ultimately on your campaign to make sure people know how to identify you on the ballot.
definitely! a big part of the problem is that the florida democratic party is pretty dogshit top to bottom when it comes to messaging

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This was attempted in the UK in the past, but it was blocked I believe. The attempts involved setting up the 'Conversative Party' to try to take votes from the Conservative Party. Also I think someone tried to stand in a seat held by the Liberal Democrats as a 'Literal Democrat'.

Fun word play at least. Lmao.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
There should be a law called "If you don't want to play FAIR, you ain't playin' AT ALL!" in which any candidate/campaign team/members of the party that resorts to cheating/fraud INSTANTLY forfeit their place in the race, or if they've been elected, are immediately stripped of their position and suspended from attaining political office for X amount of years (IMO, maybe forever). Basically, you wanna play, you wanna be elected to a powerful, high position within our nation, be it having powe over state affairs or an impact of nationwide affairs, you're gonna have to do it STRAIGHT. You result to bullshit, your ASS IS GRASS!

That's just me, though. Republicans ain't gonna get penalized or shit for pulling this stunt.

And then Republicans would fabricate stuff to disqualify Dems. And refuse to drop out when caught. Who decides who's lying?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I have a somewhat unique last name, or at least I thought I did. Teachers, especially subs, trying to pronounce it was comical (really annoying to a young kid).
I moved about an hour north, and I was shocked when I saw my last name... park. Then saw a congress sign. They are rebublican. I've often wondered if I could run against them, or any office, based on my name alone.
Is it "Bahk"?