• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad to see but it was bound to happen in gen pop, let's hope the investigation turns up no direct link to the vaccine itself :( I just hope this doesn't add more fuel to to the fire for the anti vaxxers.

In a Facebook post, Michael's wife, Heidi Neckelmann, said he sought emergency care three days after the shot because he had dots on his skin that indicated internal bleeding.

The condition she said led to his stroke, called thrombocytopenia, results from a lower-than-normal number of platelets, which help the blood clot.

"We are actively investigating this case, but we don't believe at this time that there is any direct connection to the vaccine," the statement said.

There is no indication – either from large clinical trials or among people who have received the vaccine since the government authorized its use last month – that it could be connected to thrombocytopenia, the company said.

www.usatoday.com

Death of Florida doctor after receiving COVID-19 vaccine under investigation

Pfizer says there is no indication its COVID-19 vaccine is connected to the condition that led to the death of Miami OB-GYN Gregory Michael.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
The people who want a connection in this situation will find one regardless of it's there or not.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the vaccine. I find this kind of reporting to be very unhelpful and undermines public confidence in vaccines generally.

Just because someone dies after having the vaccine (and many will) doesn't mean it was because of the vaccine or that vaccines don't work.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like sensationalist journalism at this point.
Yeah, I would argue it's unethical to even report on this and even mention the vaccine.

My father is a doctor in Florida, and got the vaccine. Not a SINGLE MEMBER OF HIS STAFF elected to get it. It's fucking wild.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Correlation does not imply causation, but anti-vaxxers are certainly going to believe the opposite.
We need to wait and see exactly why this doctor died.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
My wife just her second dose yesterday. Most of her coworkers did too. Large hospital network in a large city. Some small reactions (expected) with the second dose, but nothing else.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I would argue it's unethical to even report on this and even mention the vaccine.

My father is a doctor in Florida, and got the vaccine. Not a SINGLE MEMBER OF HIS STAFF elected to get it. It's fucking wild.
why the hell is it optional for them?! were gonna have this shit for another year because of stuff like this

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Millions of people have already gotten this. Stories like this are so damn dangerous without actual investigation.
why the hell is it optional for them?! were gonna have this shit for another year because of stuff like this
At this point they might as well just open shit up for people to get it. This is ridiculous.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Correlation /=/ Causation

This story is irresponsible

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
This story is sensationalist, and maybe shouldn't even be posted here.

There have been millions of people who have gotten the vaccine. Just by pure statistics, some of those people will die of unrelated causes. But people notice those instead of the millions who haven't died or seen any side effects.

People won't blink at 400,000 COVID deaths, but a single (certainly unrelated) death of somebody after getting the vaccine will freak everyone out.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
His alternative is fire the entire staff (which not even be legal). They absolutely refused point blank to get it. (Also, a good number are African American, and there is a deep-seated mistrust of vaccines in that community. It's tricky.)

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
We need to wait to see if he actually died due to the vaccine. His death could have been caused by multiple factors. These type of news article shouldn't be posted without proof.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Why publish this? I'm sure there are others that got vaccinated and have since died.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'm curious... has it shown that you can no longer be a carrier if you have the vaccine? I know they were telling that people who have the vaccine still need to wear masks because they can still be a vector. Is that still true?

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
They should take this article down or at least rename it. Sensationalism like this helps no one, especially the US

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Why publish this? I'm sure there are others that got vaccinated and have since died.
You know why. By nature of mass vaccination there will literally be thousands of deaths within a window right after they get the vaccination. Bad actors will continue to report ridiculous stories like this implying that it "COULD" be the vaccine

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting.

And here's my mom was telling me this morning that I shouldn't take the vaccine because it'll make me sterile.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
I got both doses. No issue not even body aches or chills. My arm hurt alittle for one day, that's it.

OP
OP
g23

g23

Oct 27, 2017
There are. A friend is an EMT and one of his colleagues got the vaccine, got sick and died.

While I'm not sure it's the cause, the guy did ignore the precaution of not getting it if you have a positive COVID test within 60 days.

To be clear your friend's colleague most likely died of COVID and not the vaccine

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
There are. A friend is an EMT and one of his colleagues got the vaccine, got sick and died.

While I'm not sure it's the cause, the guy did ignore the precaution of not getting it if you have a positive COVID test within 60 days.

My sister was positive back in august, she should be fine getting it correct? Her doctor is forcing everyone to get it.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I had COVID back during Thanksgiving and got the vaccine this week. Felt really sick yesterday, but I'm okay now.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
His alternative is fire the entire staff (which not even be legal). They absolutely refused point blank to get it. (Also, a good number are African American, and there is a deep-seated mistrust of vaccines in that community. It's tricky.)

It is legal to require it for employment.

It really should be required for healthcare workers.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
To be clear your friend's colleague most likely died of COVID and not the vaccine

Most likely. I was under the impression the guideline was due to availability rather than a potential dangerous reaction. And that you should have some immunity within 60 days and wouldn't need to get vaccinated.

My sister was positive back in august, she should be fine getting it correct? Her doctor is forcing everyone to get it.

I'm not a doctor or clinician, but the communication we've been getting at the hospital is that you aren't currently eligible to get the vaccine if you have a history of allergies to vaccines or anything in the vaccine, have received another vaccine in the last 14 days of any kind, had a positive COVID test within 60 days, or received some of the COVID treatments like convalescent plasma within 60 days. Please note these are the guide they've given us and may also include things like availability rather than a clinical decision. Always consult your doctor for those decisions and make sure they are aware of all information!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is just as much newsworthy that my dad got the vaccine this past week and had no problems whatsoever.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
What a horrible fucking article to post at such a critical juncture in the pandemic.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
At the risk of sounding glib: something close to 25 million people worldwide have now been vaccinated against COVID. The odds of one of them having an unrelated stroke are pretty high.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty irresponsible to report this as news. Millions are getting vaccines. Yes they have to investigate the cause, but statistically you're gaurunteed to have some people die from a variety of totally unrelated problems.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thrombocytopenia itself wouldn't cause a stroke. It is literally a low platelet count, which could be due to a number of factors that, in turn, would need to take place first. These include things such as:

Gram negative bacterial sepsis
Malignancy, including occult malignancy
Certain antibiotics
vasculitis
Other disorders like ITP and TTP

some of these issues could in turn lead to a stroke, but in this case the thrombocytopenia is a concurrent finding rather than the cause. And none are associated with this vaccine at this time.

It is extremely irresponsible reporting, as there is literally no data yet to determine if there is any association (unlikely as well). Sadly this will likely lead to more delays and more deaths.

Dec 16, 2017
Unless there's evidence that there was actually a link, this shouldn't get printed. They don't print, doctor has stroke after drinking morning coffee, for example.

Nov 18, 2020
Why is there an article on this? This story shouldn't even exist, because now people will "confirm their suspicions" and start to lean anti-vax.

Oct 25, 2017
Pfizer has said they're aware and investigating but don't not believe them to be related. It seems they're investigating just due to the proximity of the vaccine administered

Pfizer, which along with its partner BioNTech made the vaccine the man received, said in a statement it is aware of the death.

"We are actively investigating this case, but we don't believe at this time that there is any direct connection to the vaccine," the statement said.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
With the number of people getting vaccinated right now, it's bound to happen that some die soon after their shot.

There was also a nurse in Portugal who died two days after getting her shot. Annoying as fuck to see headlines like 'Woman dies 2 days after getting vaccine', while there is no proof of relation to the death and the shot and cause of death still had to be confirmed (in that case teh autopsy confirmed it was unrelated to the shot)

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
THIS JUST IN: 100% of the people who have received the COVID-19 vaccine will eventually die

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
How many vaccines have been taken through out the world? And how many deaths afterwards?

Even if those death(s) might be attributed to taking the vaccine, I'm sure the ratio is astronomically low.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hundreds of thousands die of COVID: "Well many had pre-existing conditions".
One person dies after taking a vaccine "OMG the apocalypse".