• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who isn't LGBTQ/Trans probably has NO CLUE just how utterly harmful banning social transitions is.

This is devastating, and will lead to a lifetime of trans kids dealing with depression and and suicide.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I received this e-mail today too. That state has changed a lot since I lived there. I remember thinking Florida going for Obama was a sign that things were changing.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
We're now down to banning social transition already and most people still won't take it seriously. What the fuck is it going to take?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The end goal of this renewed wave of transphobia is to deny us our existence, and if that sounds extreme then you're not paying attention or haven't sat with it long enough. For children and adults alike, both the intent and the action is to prevent us from being able to live as ourselves physically and socially.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
We can only just sit back and take this dumb shit. I feel for those that are forced to live in this society

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I received this e-mail today too. That state has changed a lot since I lived there. I remember thinking Florida going for Obama was a sign that things were changing.
Same here, and everything instead has gone to shit. GOP decided that FL would be ground zero for the culture war.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
If I have to hear "it's all political theater, red meat for the base" when multiple states are doing this to try and completely erase/genocide people like me, I'm going to crack.
Yup. I hate that dismissive attitude that shows up whenever Republicans do something reprehensible. These are actions with real effects.

Yup, I would love for any politicians or media figures to start calling this shit out for what it is.

I'm tired of the constant sanitized language around Republican actions and ideology. But the media's gotta keep up the charade of "good faith disagreement on hard issues," instead of confronting the continuing slide into genocidal fascism on the right.

Oh, I know this very well. I just absolutely HATE that argument of "both sides are bad". I don't know how anyone in this day in age that isn't brainwashed by Fox can say that anymore.
Both sides are absolutely bad. Democrats are mostly awful to varying degrees, with a few actually good members.

But the worst Democrat is still better than any Republican at this point, and I would never sit out or vote R. I vote every election for the most progressive Dem running.

"Both sides are bad" is true and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. "Both sides are the same," is dumb though, and people who refuse to recognize degrees of awfulness are definetly irritating.

But yeah, Democrats mostly suck, but Republicans are mostly psychopathic, genocidal fascists.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We can only just sit back and take this dumb shit. I feel for those that are forced to live in this society

We don't have to take it, actually. Protest. Send letters. Call your elected officials.

The address is in the letter that was sent out: https://www.floridahealth.gov/

vivaldi_337046jfr.png

If you're in Florida, contact your local heal office and let them know. If you're not, contact the main office with the number there. Be aware that they will have your email if you reach out that way. Reach out if it's safe to do so.

You can also tweet at them on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HealthyFla/

Contact information for Florida's governor.

A list of the House of Representatives members, and how to contact them.

A list of Senators, and how to contact them.

Fight back. If you're trans, fight back. If you consider yourself a trans ally, fight back.

Last edited:

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Passing a bill in only one chamber does nothing. Nothing will be done because the filibuster won't be removed for this issue.

I assume you mean Obergefell v. Hodges? The odds were definitely better. Kennedy had a streak of voting for gay rights. He authored the majority opinions in many prominent gay rights cases.
This is letting the Biden admin off the hook way too easily. Just some examples of actions they can take on their own:
  • HHS and ED guidance that regardless of state actions, teachers/therapists/health professionals/others cannot be compelled to disclose personal health information
  • ED and DOJ guidance about the rights of LGBTQ students under laws other than Title IX
  • HHS guidance to FQHCs about the new OCR guidance
  • VA should start covering surgery
  • DOJ should be suing
  • DOJ should be doing compliance reviews/investigations using Bostock
  • HHS/OCR should be doing compliance reviews/investigations of state agencies using the ADA and ACA
  • Administration of Children and Families should be doing compliance reviews using the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act
  • HHS should prohibit discrimination for grant recipients

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
This is letting the Biden admin off the hook way too easily. Just some examples of actions they can take on their own:
  • HHS and ED guidance that regardless of state actions, teachers/therapists/health professionals/others cannot be compelled to disclose personal health information
  • ED and DOJ guidance about the rights of LGBTQ students under laws other than Title IX
  • HHS guidance to FQHCs about the new OCR guidance
  • VA should start covering surgery
  • DOJ should be suing
  • DOJ should be doing compliance reviews/investigations using Bostock
  • HHS/OCR should be doing compliance reviews/investigations of state agencies using the ADA and ACA
  • Administration of Children and Families should be doing compliance reviews using the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act
  • HHS should prohibit discrimination for grant recipients

I wasn't saying that Biden can't do anything himself. Nothing will be done in general and if it is, it'll be far too late.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking grotesque. That anyone can see this vile shit and still think that "both parties are the same" leaves me feeling so hopeless.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't saying that Biden can't do anything himself. Nothing will be done in general and if it is, it'll be far too late.
The default mode of the Democratic party is to do nothing unless they are being lobbied.
But they can be pushed on issues like LGBTQ, I have seen it done in my lifetime more than once.
It's never easy but it always has to start with not making excuses for them or accepting their inaction.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Cis folks don't care enough to even attempt to stop this.
We don't have to take it, actually. Protest. Send letters. Call your elected officials.
Fight back. If you're trans, fight back. If you consider yourself a trans ally, fight back.
Maybe I missed it, but I can't recall seeing any actual in-the-streets protests of notable size comprised of at least a plurality of cis people on behalf of trans folks since the bathroom bill fights some years back. The legislation being passed against trans people over the past year-plus in various states has been at least as bad, if not much worse. Yet, I see no stirrings whatever of this kind of activism. And trans folks know that there are not nearly enough of us to make a dent in much of anything without the support of cis allies. Being that I'm a cynic, I therefore can't see that these legit genocidal measures are going to receive any sort of sizable grassroots pushback. Most Americans are so desperate for a "return to normalcy" after four years of Trump and the pandemic, they seem perfectly willing to let this shit pass without outcry if it means they can get back to "business as usual".

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Both sides are absolutely bad. Democrats are mostly awful to varying degrees, with a few actually good members.

But the worst Democrat is still better than any Republican at this point, and I would never sit out or vote R. I vote every election for the most progressive Dem running.

"Both sides are bad" is true and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. "Both sides are the same," is dumb though, and people who refuse to recognize degrees of awfulness are definetly irritating.

But yeah, Democrats mostly suck, but Republicans are mostly psychopathic, genocidal fascists.
sorry but this is some bullshit. And its the same bullshit corporate media pulls too.

Getting shot in the fucking face and losing 20 dollars are also both bad. But given the choice i know which i would pick.

When you frame "both sides as bad" you're actually giving legitimacy to the bullshit republicans are pulling all over the country.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
The default mode of the Democratic party is to do nothing unless they are being lobbied.
But they can be pushed on issues like LGBTQ, I have seen it done in my lifetime more than once.
It's never easy but it always has to start with not making excuses for them or accepting their inaction.

I'm not accepting their inaction. I'm accepting that they are currently not acting. Trans kids in my state can't get gender-affirming care and cis folks, including Dems, are doing nothing to ensure they get care. They needed to act yesterday. People who care about trans folks need to act. It's mostly just "Well, I'm not visiting Florida now!" performative posts on Twitter and Era as if saying these things helps the trans folks in Florida or Texas or any state passing these garbage laws/guidelines/executive orders.

Maybe I missed it, but I can't recall seeing any actual in-the-streets protests of notable size comprised of at least a plurality of cis people on behalf of trans folks since the bathroom bill fights some years back. The legislation being passed against trans people over the past year-plus in various states has been at least as bad, if not much worse. Yet, I see no stirrings whatever of this kind of activism. And trans folks know that there are not nearly enough of us to make a dent in much of anything without the support of cis allies. Being that I'm a cynic, I therefore can't see that these legit genocidal measures are going to receive any sort of sizable grassroots pushback. Most Americans are so desperate for a "return to normalcy", they seem perfectly willing to let this shit pass.

Exactly.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I'm not accepting their inaction. I'm accepting that they are currently not acting. Trans kids in my state can't get gender-affirming care and cis folks, including Dems, are doing nothing to ensure they get care. They needed to act yesterday. People who care about trans folks need to act. It's mostly just "Well, I'm not visiting Florida now!" performative posts on Twitter and Era as if saying these things helps the trans folks in Florida or Texas or any state passing these garbage laws/guidelines/executive orders.
Yeah, posting shit like this on the internet is not helping suffering trans kids:

d743a6add14839105f331b5c086fa084.gif

In fact, it's doing just the opposite.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Fucking disgusting.

I'm sorry that our country is becoming such a shithole for so many people who have to live here and it makes me sad how dangerous its becoming.

Feb 9, 2018
Fucking disgusting. Republicans are the worst, and DeathSantis and his regime in Florida are below the bottom of the barrel.

Right-wingers continually feel the need to use the full power of the state to enforce some imagined social hierarchy, one where they believe they have a God-given right to be at the top, and to that end they will put considerable effort into marginalizing, oppressing, or even killing anyone that they've deemed part of an out-group (i.e., anyone that's not a straight white cis Christian). They've lost the legal ability to do that time and again, but they simply regroup and keep doing everything they think they can legally get away with, targeting still legally marginalized groups in the most overt ways (e.g, this anti-trans bullshit), and continuing to look for ever more subtle means of stripping nominally protected groups of their rights (e.g., trying to find ways to disenfranchise black voters or prevent marriage licenses from being issued to same-sex couples).

Trans people's only federal legal protection is a recent Supreme Court decision (Bostock v. Clayton County) and only protects them from employment discrimination, so conservatives feel this gives them carte blanche to treat trans people like second-class citizens by passing shitty laws and regulations. If conservatives had their way, civil and political rights in the U.S. would be rolled back to where they were 200 years ago. This is why we need federal protection for trans people, but Congress is simply sitting on the issue. The Dems have less than nine months to do something, because control of Congress is likely to go back to the GOP for at least a few years after the midterms.

Conservatives might say "Oh, but look! The Florida DoH cited their sources!", but three cherry-picked studies, including one from a biased source (the Catholic Medical Association) does not a scientific consensus make. Every major medical organization and every meta-analysis I've seen affirms the opposite of what the transphobes in Florida's government say. If you dig enough, you can always find a paper that expresses a conclusion contrary to the consensus, something cranks like to do to support their denial of the consensus. Even if the paper doesn't explicitly make the point the crank is trying to make, the latter will try to misrepresent it to make it fit their preconceived notions.

To use a case I'm familiar with from another field, noted (and now deceased) astronomer Halton Arp got papers published in scientific journals even if his conclusions were the exact opposite of the consensus (he believed the universe was not expanding), but that doesn't mean the conclusions he reached in his research were correct. But that didn't stop cranks from latching on to his papers as if they were ironclad evidence that the consensus view in cosmology was wrong.

The thing is, most fields of science and their pseudoscience counterparts don't have an obvious political dimension to them. Nobody in government is going to take the claims of contrarians and cranks like Arp or Velikovsky or von Daniken and use them as a basis for crafting policy. But when science touches on things like economics, race, or sex, you can damn well bet your life that every right-winger with an axe to grind will deny the consensus and latch on to some random junk science, because they don't like how science keeps undermining their worldview.

The modern conservative movement is the most vile and dangerous political movement in decades, though honestly they're just an extension of the same bigoted bullshit that's been pervasive in this country since its founding. They never went away. They regrouped, passed their bullshit from generation to generation, and now they've cranked up the cruelty to eleven.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Maybe I missed it, but I can't recall seeing any actual in-the-streets protests of notable size comprised of at least a plurality of cis people on behalf of trans folks since the bathroom bill fights some years back. The legislation being passed against trans people over the past year-plus in various states has been at least as bad, if not much worse. Yet, I see no stirrings whatever of this kind of activism. And trans folks know that there are not nearly enough of us to make a dent in much of anything without the support of cis allies. Being that I'm a cynic, I therefore can't see that these legit genocidal measures are going to receive any sort of sizable grassroots pushback. Most Americans are so desperate for a "return to normalcy" after four years of Trump and the pandemic, they seem perfectly willing to let this shit pass without outcry if it means they can get back to "business as usual".

We had in-the-streets protests in Austin, TX over the CPS letter, but a) the media didn't cover it and b) Austin can't push the state alone, the lawmakers already think we're all damned sinners and ignore the city.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I guess it really depends on what you consider a notable size. There were protests outside of the Texas capital over the bill there. However, such protests are always going to be skewed smaller because transgender people are a very small portion of the population. It's hard to determine just exactly how many trans folks there are due to discrimination and fear keeping people in secret. However, this study from 2016 estimates than less than 1% identify as trans in the US. That number is certainly higher now in 2022, but if you're looking for insanely large protests that hit the national news, you probably won't find it.

This is why organizations like the ACLU matter, and why cis-folks protesting by sending letters or calling means a difference. We need more awareness because we can't win this battle ourselves, and if nobody helps then we'll lose everything and be erased. I understand why you might feel cynical, but, if I can be a bit blunt, I think it's misplaced. They're targeting our trans/non-binary friends and family now. There isn't really time for cynicism. More a time for action, whatever form that can take. Luckily, this is just guidelines and not law yet. But if nobody speaks up, it's only a matter of time before it escalates. Just like what we saw in Texas.

As an aside, when you take into account how relatively few trans people there actually are in the United States, all of this anti-trans bullshit from conservatives especially just seems silly. The amount of trans kids out there is probably in the thousands. There are trained medical professionals who have worked with trans people and trans kids for years. They follow proven-to-work guidelines to ensure that trans kids don't end up depressed and suicidal. And now these jackasses from the Florida Department of Health want to pretend like they know better? Speaks volumes to how threatened they feel about our existences.

One of the problems here is the word "had". Why did they stop?

Because protesting is costly, in more ways than one. That, and multiple short term victories were secured to prevent the state from investigating kids.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Luckily, this is just guidelines and not law yet. But if nobody speaks up, it's only a matter of time before it escalates. Just like what we saw in Texas.

These guidelines will have a chilling effect guaranteed.

Because protesting is costly, in more ways than one.

Stopping people from becoming victims of genocide is worth the price. Protesting once or twice isn't going to stop the GOP from targeting trans folks.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
We had in-the-streets protests in Austin, TX over the CPS letter, but a) the media didn't cover it and b) Austin can't push the state alone, the lawmakers already think we're all damned sinners and ignore the city.
Doing some Googling, there was also apparently a much smaller protest in Corpus Christi at about the same time, too. It's definitely good to see people turning out to make their voices heard against these loathsome policies. Sadly, you're right that these protests need to expand greatly beyond local demonstrations, though, and need many, many more bodies besides, before they can be seen as any kind of pushback impressive enough to get the media interested.

As an aside, when you take into account how relatively few trans people there actually are in the United States, all of this anti-trans bullshit from conservatives especially just seems silly. The amount of trans kids out there is probably in the thousands. There are trained medical professionals who have worked with trans people and trans kids for years. They follow proven-to-work guidelines to ensure that trans kids don't end up depressed and suicidal. And now these jackasses from the Florida Department of Health want to pretend like they know better? Speaks volumes to how threatened they feel about our existences.
Which really makes us the perfect Enemy of the Moment™ to attack on a mass scale because there are relatively few of us and most cis folks can't be assed to raise any kind of stink on our behalf. This is a wedge issue they seemingly can't lose. As such, they're not going to quit harping on it anytime soon.

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These guidelines will have a chilling effect guaranteed.

They always do. Especially when it comes to transgender kids, who are the most vulnerable among us.

Which really makes us the perfect Enemy of the Moment™ to attack on a mass scale because there are relatively few of us and most cis folks can't be assed to raise any kind of stink on our behalf. This is a wedge issue they seemingly can't lose. As such, they're not going to quit harping on it anytime soon.

Honestly, we've been the enemy the moment since Obergefell. We're the easy target among the LGBT group because we're the ones who have the least protections under the law.

Last edited:

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
One of the problems here is the word "had". Why did they stop?

Because of the court injunction meant to prevent CPS from acting on the new guidance. People gotta work to eat, and with the stay in place, people are waiting to see what the courts decide before hitting the streets again in Texas. Now that this shit is spreading, tho....

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually curious what kind of Federal response against this hateful shit might even be possible? I feel like most would get blocked by the courts, but obviously it should still be attempted.

sorry but this is some bullshit. And its the same bullshit corporate media pulls too.

Getting shot in the fucking face and losing 20 dollars are also both bad. But given the choice i know which i would pick.

When you frame "both sides as bad" you're actually giving legitimacy to the bullshit republicans are pulling all over the country.
Right.... which is why I explicitly said that I still always vote and always vote Dem (even begrudgingly when the Dem candidate sucks), and stressed the whole "completely different degrees of bad" point. But in retrospect, you're absolutely right that just that statement with zero context isn't good.

I was just making the distinction between "Dems are bad" (which is mostly true) and "Both sides are the same" (which is bullshit).

But I'm not gonna sit there and gaslight people who've become disaffected with the political process with some "Dems are great, actually!" stuff. The more honest answer is "Yeah, Dems mostly suck. But there are some good people there and the party can at least be pressured into good things occasionally, while Republicans are psychopathic fascists."

The issue isn't acknowledging when Dems are bad; the issue is drawing an equivalence between Ds and Rs. So I agree that "both sides are bad" with zero context provided on the degrees/severity can be damaging.

But I don't want to derail the topic, so I'll stop this tangent. My bad!

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Because of the court injunction meant to prevent CPS from acting on the new guidance. People gotta work to eat, and with the stay in place, people are waiting to see what the courts decide before hitting the streets again in Texas. Now that this shit is spreading, tho....

I know people have to work to eat. They can still hit the streets more than a few times. The injunction hasn't stopped the chilling effect on gender-affirming care which is all but gone in the state. They will keep targeting trans folks and a protest here and there won't stop that.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I know people have to work to eat. They can still hit the streets more than a few times. The injunction hasn't stopped the chilling effect on gender-affirming care which is all but gone in the state. They will keep targeting trans folks and a protest here and there won't stop that.

We know. But speaking of cis allies, a lot of the people who did show up for those protests were the ones being chilled, not the ones with no skin in the game. The ones who have to fear being put on a list of To Be Investigated Next. Don't get mad at those who did show up.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
We know. But speaking of cis allies, a lot of the people who did show up for those protests were the ones being chilled, not the ones with no skin in the game. The ones who have to fear being put on a list of To Be Investigated Next. Don't get mad at those who did show up.

I'm not mad at people showing up. It was a good thing they showed up to protest. I'm saying that it's not enough.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanna emphasize how dangerous sending guidance to stop social transitioning is:

From a licensed therapist and medical health professional. Social transition is the one aspect of transitioning that literally everyone who works with trans people agrees is universally positive. There is strength, courage, and energy in being acknowledged for who you are with the name you want. It is affirming in a way that cis people might not fully comprehend at first. Out of all the things in this guidance that could have the worst chilling effect, it would be this. The end results could be devastating and even life-threatening to trans kids.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just wanna emphasize how dangerous sending guidance to stop social transitioning is:

From a licensed therapist and medical health professional. Social transition is the one aspect of transitioning that literally everyone agrees is universally positive. There is strength, courage, and energy in being acknowledged for who you are with the name you want. It is affirming in a way that cis people might not fully comprehend at first. Out of all the things in this guidance that could have the worst chilling effect, it would be this. The end results could be devastating and even life-threatening to trans kids.

It's basically state level conversion therapy, facist as shit.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
It is good to remember that shit like "Anyone under 18 should not be prescribed puberty blockers or hormone therapy." is not only harmfull to trans teens, but also cis people who have all kinds of puberty disorders and depending on how you read "hormone therapy", it can also include birth control pills

[edit]
Endometriosis !
Like "your teen has endometriosis ? fuck you" said the state of florida

I'm a cis man and suffered from overproduction of hormones when I was a kid. It triggered my puberty very prematurely when I was 7 and was causing various growth problems, and was fucking up especially the development of my fine motor skills so bad I had to go to occupational therapy. To mitigate the damage, I was on hormone blockers until I was 12 (or 11? can't remember exactly). I grew up to be exactly the same straight cis guy I was born as. Being on hormone therapy didn't suppress my boyhood or prevent my (also premature) sexual awakening and realization of liking women.

It's so fucking infuriating how those people have adopted "hormone therapy" and "puberty blockers" as their boogeymen that they insist could somehow alter minds and thoughts. They talk of them like it was some malicious scifi brainwashing shit, and you just know that their hysterical conservative supporters are just going to eat their bullshit up.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Endocrine Society's statement is out:

The Endocrine Society objects to the Florida Department of Health's bulletin on gender-affirming care for transgender and gender-diverse youth. The bulletin contradicts the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services' resources and the Society's own evidence-based Clinical Practice Guideline regarding gender-affirming care.

We call on the Florida Department of Health to rescind its bulletin and allow physicians to provide evidence-based care.

Transgender and gender-diverse youth need access to evidence-based care that is supported by major international medical groups—including the Endocrine Society, American Medical Association, the American Psychological Association, and the American Academy of Pediatrics—and Clinical Practice Guidelines.

Medical evidence, not politics, should inform treatment decisions. The Florida Department of Health's bulletin cites only a handful of studies. This is in contrast to formal medical guidelines that comply with the Institute of Medicine's standards. Our Clinical Practice Guideline adheres to these national standards and cites more than 260 scientific studies.

The Florida Department of Health's policy reflects widespread misinformation about gender-affirming care. Gender-affirming care benefits the health and psychological functioning of transgender and gender-diverse youth. When an individual's gender identity is not respected and the individual cannot access medical care, it can result in higher psychological problem scores and can raise the person's risk of committing suicide or other acts of self-harm.

The Florida Department of Health's message to eliminate access to puberty-delaying medication for transgender and gender-diverse teenagers contradicts accepted medical practice. Only reversible treatments to delay puberty are recommended for younger adolescents, according to our Clinical Practice Guideline and joint policy perspective issued with the Pediatric Endocrine Society. Puberty-delaying medication is a safe, reversible and conservative approach that gives teenagers and their families more time to explore their options. The same treatment has been used for decades to treat precocious puberty.

While the Florida Department of Health policy expresses concern about surgery being offered to teens younger than 18, the reality is that gender-affirming surgery is generally limited to adults who meet medical and psychological requirements.

There is broad consensus within the medical community about the importance of gender- affirming care. Other major international medical and scientific organizations such as WPATH, the European Society of Endocrinology, the European Society for Pediatric Endocrinology, the Pediatric Endocrine Society, the American Medical Association, the American Psychological Association, and the American Academy of Pediatrics are in alignment with the Society on the importance of gender-affirming care.

Widespread misinformation about medical care recommended for transgender and gender-diverse adolescents is fueling efforts to limit access to needed care. Twenty states have proposed legislation to limit access to care this year, according to Freedom for All Americans.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
If you're a trans person stuck in one of these conservative shitholes and you want to escape, PM me. I will do everything I can to help you.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017

The address is in the letter that was sent out: https://www.floridahealth.gov/

vivaldi_337046jfr.png

If you're in Florida, contact your local heal office and let them know. If you're not, contact the main office with the number there. Be aware that they will have your email if you reach out that way. Reach out if it's safe to do so.

You can also tweet at them on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HealthyFla/

Contact information for Florida's governor.

A list of the House of Representatives members, and how to contact them.

A list of Senators, and how to contact them.

I'm not in Florida anymore, but I'm gonna try my hardest to get my parents to do this. And see if I can donate to Florida based groups working with trans youth.

If I find some good resources, maybe we can make a thread encouraging people to take action?

It's times like this when I wish I was internet famous and could get a huge audience to take action. Maybe there are US-based streamers that we could reach out to?

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Just insane that the cons will freakout about anything that inconveniences them in the slightest. I'll never forget that picture of the hogs in the doorway of the Michigan legislature, screaming about covid lockdowns. They were literally citing the fact that they couldn't get haircuts.

And yet here we are with them basically trying to eradicate trans people. With the added bonus of making a complete mockery of yet another public institution.

Don't tread on me unless if I'm trans I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Where the FUCK is Biden?

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Reading up on all of the ways Republicans are attacking trans people has opened my eyes more and more to what it means to be trans. So many things I don't have to think about as a cisgendered individual.

And I'm becoming increasingly horrified at it all.

I've been donating to efforts to turn my state more blue, and we've had some great successes, especially compared to similar states.

But man... I know what this is. I know why it's bad. Part of my graduate education has been studying scholarship that was developed in response to rising fascism leading up to WW2. To see similar things today scares the shit out of me. There's alarm bells going off in my head every time I see this stuff 🚨🚨🚨

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics Rejects New Florida Department of Health Guidelines on Gender-Affirming Care for Youth:

Following the release of new Florida Department of Health guidelines advising against the provision of gender-affirming healthcare for children and adolescents, the Florida Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics today released the following statement urging reconsideration.

Gender-affirming care can be lifesaving. Research shows that access to evidence-based gender affirming care among adolescents significantly improves their mental health.

"Appropriate gender-affirming care, conducted in close coordination with pediatricians and parents, is safe and effective for treating patients experiencing gender dysphoria," said FCAAP President Lisa Gwynn, DO, MBA, MSPH, FAAP. "It's disheartening that Florida's health agency continues to issue child-health guidance that conflicts with broad scientific consensus and without the consultation of pediatric physicians."

In October 2021, The American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and the Children's Hospital Association declared a national emergency in children's mental health. LGBTQ+ students experience disproportionate bullying and bias in school, and recent CDC data indicate that almost 2 percent of high school students identify as transgender. National data have continued to demonstrate that LGBTQ+ youth are far more likely to attempt suicide, and experience more victimization, bullying, and sexual/dating violence, than their cisgendered peers.

"In the midst of this national youth mental health crisis, obstructing the provision of necessary care does a disservice to medically vulnerable adolescents," said Dr. Gwynn. "Like all children, transgender and gender-diverse youth deserve access to the care they need, and decisions about that care should be left to medical professionals and parents, not to the state."

The chapter President will also be on NBC News Now tomorrow morning at 8ET.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
HRC put out a public point-by-point rebuttal of the guidance. Full version here (PDF), shorter version here.

Also, twitter thread from WH Assistant Press Secretary here; full text pasted below:
"Across the country, some officials have sought to strip away the freedom and safety of transgender children and their parents, including depriving kids of the health care they need. These actions—including yesterday's recommendations from the Florida Department of Health that transgender children should be denied access to life saving care—are government overreach at its worst, and make clear the hypocrisy of these officials' commitment to parental rights. What parents really want is the right to make informed health care decisions that are in the best interest of their child, and for their elected officials to focus on real issues, like addressing the crisis of youth mental health and keeping our schools open. As @POTUS has said, supporting a trans child by affirming who they are is the best thing that doctors, parents, and teachers can do to reduce the risk that a transgender child attempts to take their own life. Every major medical association in the US agrees. Yesterday, @HHSGov reminded families across the country of the civil rights protections and resources that exist to help parents ensure their transgender kids get the health care they need—and @POTUS will continue to stand up for the dignity and equality of all Americans."
And statement from HHS Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs:
"HHS stands with transgender and gender nonconforming youth and their families – and the significant majority of expert medical associations- in unequivocally stating that gender affirming care for minors, when medically appropriate and necessary, improves their physical and medical health."
It's ... not nothing, I guess? :/

Finally, here's the video of the interview I mentioned in the last post:

I know it feels hopeless and scary, but I promise my trans comrades here that there are people doing everything we can to combat this and protect our communities. This was the movement (for all its faults) scrambling to support Florida with input, resources, and advice from people and organizations around the country and even outside it, from just yesterday:

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The battle lines have been clear to me for the past decade or more

They are getting bolder and more aggressive by the day.

There needs to be an equal or larger response to fight them back

Anecdotally It certainly feels isolating right now as right wing sympathies seem more common (or at least much louder and powerful) than the resisting voices.