• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
www.cnn.com

Florida city shuts down part of a park due to annual snake orgy | CNN

It's mating season for the Florida water snakes, according to the city of Lakeland.

'Things got quite sssspicy near Lake Hollingsworth in Lakeland, Florida, this week.

After residents began reporting snake sightings to the Lakeland Parks and Recreation Department, the department and the city's Public Works Department began investigating.

Turns out it's mating season for the Florida water snake, officials said, and a large group snakes have gathered near the lake for a giant orgy. Caution tape was put up around the area to increase public awareness of the snake orgy.'

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
797679.gif

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I got the wrong idea from the headline. You'd get the idea that these snakes were super-deadly venomous if a park had to be closed down.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So the snakes can shut down the park for an orgy but I can't? The article makes it clear they didn't even get a permit for it

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got the wrong idea from the headline. You'd get the idea that these snakes were super-deadly venomous if a park had to be closed down.

Whilst only a small amount, every snake in existence carries some level of venom. It's why a corn snake can cause someone vulnerable to enter anaphylactic shock. Multiply it up to the quantity you'll be seeing here (literally crawling ground in places most likely) and having anyone in the park who's elderly is suddenly at a much greater risk just by the sheer likelihood of being bitten.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whilst only a small amount, every snake in existence carries some level of venom. It's why a corn snake can cause someone vulnerable to enter anaphylactic shock. Multiply it up to the quantity you'll be seeing here (literally crawling ground in places most likely) and having anyone in the park who's elderly is suddenly at a much greater risk just by the sheer likelihood of being bitten.

I'm fairly sure many species that rely on constriction to kill don't have any poison.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly sure many species that rely on constriction to kill don't have any poison.
It may not be a venom tbh, but I was told by a writer for a very reputable enthusiast publication that even snakes not listed as venomous can cause anaphylactic shock in particularly vulnerable people.

But now having said that I'm thinking he could have meant snakes that are listed non venomous because of the weak potency of their venom.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It may not be a venom tbh, but I was told by a writer for a very reputable enthusiast publication that even snakes not listed as venomous can cause anaphylactic shock in particularly vulnerable people.

But now having said that I'm thinking he could have meant snakes that are listed non venomous because of the weak potency of their venom.

Just googling it and it seems that constrictors like Pythons are not venomous as they crush their prey to death before eating. That and venom isn't required to get anaphylactic shock so something else could be causing it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just googling it and it seems that constrictors like Pythons are not venomous as they crush their prey to death before eating. That and venom isn't required to get anaphylactic shock so something else could be causing it.
Most carnivores carry large amounts of bacteria on teeth, that's a big one, like house cats have a high level to kill their prey even if they escape(and why getting bitten by one can cause severe infections).