• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Article Link

"If they're gonna ban books, then the whole library should be in play. My hope — and it's a longshot — is that they will apply their own standards to themselves and ban the Bible," Stevens tells New Times.

Free-speech and literary-expression advocates have been sounding the alarm about what they see as a bureaucratic, authoritarian attack on education in Florida, particularly after recent news that the state rejected 54 math textbooks from the curriculumfor allegedly containing prohibited topics such as "Critical Race Theory." When the state went so far as banning math books, Stevens says, he was inspired to use the same bureaucracy to strike back against the conservative wave with an operation he calls "Eff Off Jesus."

Always love to see these stupid knee jerk scape goating actions turned around on reactionary conservatives.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
They have bibles in public schools? If so, I assume that's the only religious text?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Won't go anywhere, but I have wanted to see this happen to see people try and justify why this text doesn't incorporate all of the apparent issues they have.

But conservatives have no problem with hypocrisy, as I am constantly reminded.

Jun 17, 2019
Okay if he's doing that reject all holy books, he needs to include pagan worship in there, like mythology since new religious pop up. Also out goes any Ron L. Hubbard books, and any sci-fi that has a religion in it that discusses a type of God.

I mean if your gonna wanna ban one type of book, then do them all. Focusing on the Bible only is stupid. It needs to be any form of religion if your going to make your point on the stupidity of banning a bunch of math books then you go all out on this, and that includes all religious including non western, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto, and other smaller ones.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Okay if he's doing that reject all holy books, he needs to include pagan worship in there, like mythology since new religious pop up. Also out goes any Ron L. Hubbard books, and any sci-fi that has a religion in it that discusses a type of God.

I mean if your gonna wanna ban one type of book, then do them all. Focusing on the Bible only is stupid. It needs to be any form of religion if your going to make your point on the stupidity of banning a bunch of math books then you go all out on this, and that includes all religious including non western, such as Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto, and other smaller ones.
How many Buddhist texts do you guess are currently available in Miami schools public libraries?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
"I wish to file such an objection, requesting the Miami-Dade County Public School system immediately remove the Bible from the classroom, library, and any instructional material," Stevens writes in his request addressed to MDCPS Superintendent Jose Dotres on April 19. "And, as is often the case with banned books, I ask your agency lay flame to that giant stack of fiction in a pyre worthy of a Viking sendoff."

Stevens cites age inappropriateness, social-emotional learning, mentions of bestiality and rape, and "wokeness" as reasons to ban the Bible. Each reason is accompanied by a corresponding Bible excerpt. (A copy of Stevens' letter is attached at the end of this article).
this dude rocks lol

Smutpeddler

Jan 11, 2018

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
There is no issue with having mythology in the library. They had social significance at some point and deserve to be studied.

As for this story, fair play because nothing should be censored cause we don't like it.
Oh, there is an issue, because they do ban certain religious mythologies they don't agree with. That's why there has to be a seperation for religious texts in public schools. I guarantee the library doesn't allow access to religious texts equally. If they did, fine, but they don't.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Oh, there is an issue, because they do ban certain religious mythologies they don't agree with. That's why there has to be a seperation for religious texts in public schools. I guarantee the library doesn't allow access to religious texts equally. If they did, fine, but they don't.

Exactly. I don't have a problem with religious texts in public schools in general but they clearly aren't treated equally.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool

The letter is more to take a stand against the shitty law, rather than to seriously try to ban the Bible.

The Letter said:
Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Dr. Jose Dotres, Superintendent
Miami-Dade County Public Schools
1450 NE Second Avenue, #912
Miami, FL 33132-1308
[email protected]

RE: Banning the Bible in Miami-Dade County Public Schools

Dear Dr. Dotres;

Good day to you, hope these words find you well.

As you well know, Gov. Ron DeSantis signed House Bill 1467, which requires school districts to
give parents a say in the selection of instructional materials, including library books and
textbooks.

With that in mind, I wish to file such an objection, requesting the Miami-Dade County Public
School system immediately remove the Bible from the classroom, library, and any instructional
material. Additionally, I also seek the banishment of any book that references the Bible. And, as
is often the case with banned books, I ask your agency lay flame to that giant stack of fiction in a
pyre worthy of a Viking sendoff.

My objection to the Bible being in our public schools is based on the following points:

1. Age Appropriateness.

As the Bible casually references such topics as adultery and fornication – or as I like to
think, Date Night Friday Night – do we really want to teach our youth about drunken
orgies?

For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false
witness, slander.

- Matthew 15:19

Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual
immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy.

- Romans 13:13

2. Bestiality and Rape.

Taking a cue from Florida Statute Ch. 847.001 6(a,b,c), one should consider such
discussions to be harmful to minors and obscene.

Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must
not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion.

- Leviticus 18:23

3. Wokenness.

With the constant babbling concerns about teaching Critical Race Theory, should we not
take stock of the Bible's position on slavery? I am concerned our young white students
will read such passages and wake up to civilization's sordid past.

Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and
trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; not with eye-service, as men-pleasers;
but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; with good will doing
service, as to the Lord, and not to men: knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth,
the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.

- Paul's Epistle to the Ephesians, VI, 5-7

4. Social-Emotional Learning.

The most troubling of issues for many, as it's obvious once we teach little Jimmy and
Susie to show empathy for their classmates, they're one giant step closer to getting their
LGBTQ+ freak on.

It is not good enough for man to be alone, therefore, encourage one another and build each
other up!

- Genesis 2:18

In summation, please accept this document as my request to remove the Bible, and any
referential material, from the Miami-Dade County Public Schools. In the end, if Jimmy and
Susie are curious about any of the above, they can do what everyone does – get a room at the
Motel Six and grab the Gideons.

If this request fails to follow (yet to be published) Florida Department of Education guidelines, I
ask for an opportunity to cure any defect that might arise.

My very best to you and my sincerest thanks for taking care of our kids.

Bishop Chaz Stevens
Ordained in California, Florida, and Jezero County, Mars
First Church of Mars
Executive Director
Schadenboner Incorporated

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely dumb way to counter culture war.
The vast majority who oppose this law are religious. Or believe in religion.

and the whole idea is banning books is bad! Not that we didn't ban the right ones.

Atheists in this country can be embarassing

You alllllready know.
You can have a bible in a library… christ. Students should have access to the worlds holy books. As long as their not proselytized to. The books are complements to many if not most of the other books in there? Why should a Christian not have access to the Koran while reading 1001 nights or a Muslim access to a bible when reading paradise lost?

Last edited:

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The letter is more to take a stand against the shitty law, rather than to seriously try to ban the Bible.
Trying to "own" them at their own logic NEVER WORKS!

The opposition for these laws should be firmly to protect LGBT people not try to argue on their ground.

This people are stuck in 00s forum argument type logic.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to "own" them at their own logic NEVER WORKS!

The opposition for these laws should be firmly to protect LGBT people not try to argue on their ground.

This people are stuck in 00s forum argument type logic.
It would have been better if it had been written with a more serious tone than the snarky edgelord Twitter atheist we have here. It will just be laughed at, whereas there probably is a decent logical argument to make.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah cool that's the only thought I have on this whole controversy. A single line out of a single post in a thread on the atheists in particular saying they're not actually helping and purhaps alienating allies.
I think pointing out the absurdity of the law by using an example of the book that DEFINES "family values" for these sycophants is not embarrassing at all, but you do you. You clearly have an issue with this one dude doing something to battle it and have decided to extrapolate from his actions in actually combatting the destructive anti-education crusade of religion in this country, that atheists are embarrassing.

I disagree with your general premise that this person is alienating allies at all, but I think your purportion of how embarrassing and indicative of him and atheists as embarrassing is misplaced and absurd. It's patently obvious they're just exploiting the stupidity of the law using the "safest" text in the country, and 100% of your embarrassment just be aimed at the legislators giving power to his intentionally stupid arguments.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would have been better if it had been written with a more serious tone than the snarky edgelord Twitter atheist we have here. It will just be laughed at, whereas there probably is a decent logical argument to make.
The tone is obviously bad but even then the whole premise "the Bible has this stuff so kids shouldn't read it too" is just flawed. The stories are largely censored for kids. So they're not talking about seeing noah naked or all the rape in sex. If anything I think it furthers their argument "they're protecting kids"

the point is the books their banning aren't sexual or inappropriate. They just show gay people and minorities exist!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tone is obviously bad but even then the whole premise "the Bible has this stuff so kids shouldn't read it too" is just flawed. The stories are largely censored for kids. So they're not talking about seeing noah naked or all the rape in sex. If anything I think it furthers their argument "they're protecting kids"

the point is the books their banning aren't sexual or inappropriate. They just show gay people and minorities exist!
I think this is more in response to the math book ban than the don't say gay bill.

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think pointing out the absurdity of the law by using an example of the book that DEFINES "family values" for these sycophants is not embarrassing at all, but you do you. You clearly have an issue with this one dude doing something to battle it and have decided to extrapolate from his actions in actually combatting the destructive anti-education crusade of religion in this country, that atheists are embarrassing.

I mean this understanding of the Bible and it's place in the evangelical world view is just not how American religion works and just takes them at their word. And this bill isn't just pushed for religious reasons it's a fundamental white straight conservative supremacy which uses but isnt exclusive to Christianity.

But this is absurd I'm replying to a drive by post that completely distorts what my overarching point was in the post. So I'm not replying to any post about that line

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely dumb way to counter culture war.
The vast majority who oppose this law are religious. Or believe in religion.

and the whole idea is banning books is bad! Not that we didn't ban the right ones.

Atheists in this country can be embarassing

You can have a bible in a library… christ. Students should have access to the worlds holy books. As long as their not proselytized to. The books are complements to many if not most of the other books in there? Why should a Christian not have access to the Koran while reading 1001 nights or a Muslim access to a bible when reading paradise lost?

In your frothing rage you misunderstood the point of that post. The likelihood of school libraries *only* having a bible and no other religious/spiritual texts is near 100%.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
They have bibles in public schools? If so, I assume that's the only religious text?
I grew up in upstate New York and we had several versions of the Bible, Koran, Torah, the Nation of Islam Koran and Vedas in our school library. Also had a copy of Mein Kamph.

Having it in a library isn't endorsement of the book itself. If it was I'd be protesting at my local library right now for having Harry Potter books.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
There is no culture war. This is a war on education.

Semantics.

Yes, there is rampant intellectualism. But it's not being helped by playing into it. This just gives those really pushing that culture war (same typically bigoted folks that hate facts) a talking point. Yes, they're too dumb to comprehend the point this individual is attempting to make.

There's always been a war on education in the US. As well as a culture war. Both are dumb and I think trying to play into it with "Let's see how THEY like it" accomplishes nothing.

Last edited:

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot

Because of sex according to Florida law. The Bible, The Koran, Torah all feature alternative life styles that could make children question the "proper" way to live. Kids should not be exposed to sex, polygamy, and body mutilation (aka foreskin removal). The law is written to protect children- religious books should not be exempt. Any religious fiction book should be eliminated to- they also teach a lifestyle choice.

Fair is fair.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Because of sex according to Florida law. The Bible, The Koran, Torah all feature alternative life styles that could make children question the "proper" way to live. Kids should not be exposed to sex, polygamy, and body mutilation (aka foreskin removal). The law is written to protect children- religious books should not be exempt. Any religious fiction book should be eliminated to- they also teach a lifestyle choice.

Fair is fair.

This will just lead to more books being banned and Conservatives going even harder on education and schools. I have no problem with religious books in schools in general.

This also assumes that courts will side with the atheists and they will most likely not.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
This will just lead to more books being banned and Conservatives going even harder on education and schools. I have no problem with religious books in schools in general.

This also assumes that courts will side with the atheists and they will most likely not.

I don't have a problem with religious in school either. I do have a problem with people using their religion to ban people from society and impose group thought on a supposed free nation.

The law written assuming the Christians would rally to push LGTBQIA people out of society in order to defend their religon. But the law as written doesn't target LGTBQIA specifically- exactly so Christians can play victim from us all powerful Atheist (lol).

Sorry. Nobody should be coddling oppressors. Stop telling people how to defend themselves from losing their rights and livelyhood just because Christian want to ignore the Constitution and turn America into a theological totalitarian dictatorship.

They're already banning books, there's no logic in not even attempting to strike back.

Last edited:

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I don't have a problem with religious in school either. I do have a problem with people using their religion to ban people from society and impose group thought on a supposed free nation.

The law written assuming the Christians would rally to push LGTBQIA people out of society in order to defend their religon. But the law as written doesn't target LGTBQIA specifically- exactly so Christians can play victim from us all powerful Atheist (lol).

Sorry. Nobody should be coddling oppressors. Stop telling people how to defend themselves from losing their rights and livelyhood just because Christian want to ignore the Constitution and turn America into a theological totalitarian dictatorship.

Who is coddling oppressors? I'm not telling anyone to not defend themselves. I'm saying this kinds of lawsuits don't end up with less books banned, it ends up with more banned assuming a judge sides with the Atheist groups. You'd be better off suing on 1st Amendment grounds to make sure the LGBTQ+ books are not banned rather than just attempting to ban all books.

I'm part of the LGBTQ+ community myself, an advocate working on the ground against these laws, and working outside of the legal process to help LGBTQ+ folks in my community. I'm far from coddling people that want to see me dead.

They already banning books, there's no logic in not even attempting to strike back.

I'm not advocating for that though. A lawsuit arguing that banning books are against the 1st Amendment would still be striking back and would be more likely to win than one arguing that all books should be banned under the law.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Who is coddling oppressors? I'm not telling anyone to not defend themselves. I'm saying this kinds of lawsuits don't end up with less books banned, it ends up with more banned assuming a judge sides with the Atheist groups. You'd be better off suing on 1st Amendment grounds to make sure the LGBTQ+ books are not banned rather than just attempting to ban all books.
Nope, because of how the law is written, it is better to ask for the law be applied EQUALLY, oppose to law makers deciding to just ban LGBTQ+. First Amendment would require proof it was written to attack LGBTQ+ specifically, which it doesn't. It does set guidelines to ban all reference to sex and gender lifestyles. The best way to get it repealed and show bias application is to ask for other books that teach lifestyles, like holy books.

Nope, because of how the law is written, it is better to ask for the law be applied EQUALLY, oppose to law makers deciding to just ban LGBTQ+. First Amendment would require proof it was written to attack LGBTQ+ specifically, which it doesn't. It does set guidelines to ban all reference to sex and gender lifestyles. The best way to get it repealed and show bias application is to ask for other books that teach lifestyles, like holy books.
+1

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

The school board doesn't have to agree with the petitioners though. If the petitioner says "Bible is bad! Ban it!" then they can say "We reviewed it. It's fine." A public hearing and review to ban the Bible would end with parents siding with school boards so it wouldn't even likely sway elections.

I'm not seeing how these petitions would end up with the law repealed as school boards aren't going to ban the Bible.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
The school board doesn't have to agree with the petitioners though. If the petitioner says "Bible is bad! Ban it!" then they can say "We reviewed it. It's fine." A public hearing and review to ban the Bible would end with parents siding with school boards.
If they don't ban the Bible, then there is a case- because it is showing favoritism to one life style over others. It allow books in the library that cover sex, multiple marriage lifestyles, and body mutilation. Which can absolutely prove that this law is being used to oppress LGTBQ+ in favor of Christian values.

You can't say if fine for kids to learn about polygamy, non consequential sex with slaves, and the cutting off of foreskins while being oppose to same sex marriage, consensual sex, and body modification surgery (which people are calling body mutilation). This is exactly how they are using the law- to attack a minority group while playing favorites to the majority group.

Last edited: