• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Just need Halo 5 on PC (I know they say no plans) and we're golden.
No 5 on PC is such a weird absence. My friend wants to get into Infinite's campaign by the time they add co-op so we were planning on playing through all of the campaigns from start to finish. Imagine their surprise when I tell them that we can play through all of them on PC together EXCEPTfor 5, which they left behind on Xbox alone.

I hope they add it in eventually, even if it's just the campaign.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Stuff like this makes me wish I could actually play Halo lol.

I'm pretty damn decent at most FPS games/online shooters I play, but with Halo I'm always consistently last or second to last and I don't know why. Even on maps that I'm relatively familiar with.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Weapon skins for Halo 4 campaign, Halo 2, 3, and ODST get the bandana skull (!), graphics improvements to Halo 2 classic, and possibly Halo 4 optimisation?

That's a fantastic little update. Now only Reach and Halo 4 need a Bandana skull (H4 needs it the most of any game. Or I'd rather a double ammo capacity skill). Wonder if the slow warthog camera in Halo CE has been patched?

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
oh so nothing for 1,2, or reach? well at least we got something
The way co-op works in Halo requires all instances of the game to run deterministically, this is so the game doesn't have to synchronise AI and map script events. The behaviour is likely not identical between PC and Xbox because of asset and/or code behaviour changing between the platforms to account for hardware differences, so they likely have to find everything that isn't deterministic and fix such changes one by one, and one game at a time. This can be a long task depending on the nature of the problems. (This is what I assume the problem is, I don't know for sure but all signs point to it being the problem.)

"What does it mean by deterministic, and what happens if it isn't?"
Deterministic meaning the behaviour is 100% predictable when given the same input. The input in this case is player control inputs per frame. If the games frame doesn't produce the same result for the same input, the games themselves will drift and players will start playing different games, while seeing each other walking into walls or shooting at meaningless locations.

OP
OP
Fiddle

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really sad that the netcode is basically always gonna be Lockstep. Makes every campaign and ODST Firefight have unplayable input lag for everyone I know. Although I suppose since they're still updating the game there's a very small possibility it could be fixed at some point.

Oct 27, 2017
Really sad that the netcode is basically always gonna be Lockstep. Makes every campaign and ODST Firefight have unplayable input lag for everyone I know. Although I suppose since they're still updating the game there's a very small possibility it could be fixed at some point.

While the campaigns are still lockstep (as far as I'm aware) ODST and Reach Firefight were changed to an asynchronous networking model with dedicated servers.

Maybe one day the campaigns will get a similar update but their structure is much more complex than Firefight.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Just had a quick try if the new patch. The custom Halo 4 skins and the new skulls are great. Halo 4 still has performance issues at 120hz though, unfortunately.
A weird one, but did the weapons always stay still when increasing the FOV? They seem huge and in your face at 106 degrees. Might just be because I haven't played it in a while.

Things I'd love them to add/change:

*16x anisotropic filtering in all games. Reach in particular looks awful with no texture filtering
*HUD scale options for all games. It's too large nowadays on a 65" screen
*HDR slider for HUD elements. On an OLED it's a concern
*Trigger rumble for all games
*pop-in fix for Halo 4 and Reach (not sure if the PC has higher settings than the Series X for LOD)

OP
OP
Fiddle

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
While the campaigns are still lockstep (as far as I'm aware) ODST and Reach Firefight were changed to an asynchronous networking model with dedicated servers.

Maybe one day the campaigns will get a similar update but their structure is much more complex than Firefight.
Oh, I thought ODST Firefight was still lockstep. That's good then I suppose, but yeah the campaigns are unplayable.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Played a 100 minute session with a friend on Last Exit last night and liked it quite a bit! Only problem is that by the end of wave 4, the transformer enemies are insanely bullet spongey. Plus I've been away from Halo for a minute, so it really just makes me want to play normal firefight now before giving it another go. Does normal firefight also just up the health on enemies the further you go?

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
Playing odst, I'm frustrated that I can't understand npc dialogue. Is there still no closed captioning? I have subtitles checked