• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very very excited about everything in this video and hope they give it a beautiful physical collector's edition.
Please can someone explains to me why everyone is excited about the airport and other ground modelization. Isn't this supposed to be 2% of the game?
Like most of the game time you're just in the sky, no?
The time spent in airports varies a lot for each player, how long are the flights they choose and how much they want to engage the simulation systems.

I love the simulation aspects of the airport as much as the flight itself, I would never separate the two, so I don't skip anything, from starting the engines, to setting up a flight plan, to deciding the necessary fuel, to asking permissions, to taxiing to the runway using proper taxiing speed. Sometimes, depending on the airport size, there may be busy traffic inside the airport, like other planes taxiing, taking off and landing on the same runway you use, so the traffic controller will guide you when to wait and when to keep going. Of course you can always arcade everything and cut corners (literally), but that's not what simulators are for. The simulation is exciting, it's integral part of my excitement.

I prefer to play in short sessions so I usually choose short flights, like San Diego to LA, Marseille to Nice, Liverpool to Dublin, etc... these flights take about 30 minutes in the game. For instance, since I read your post and you made me curious, I did a short flight with a 747 from Bruxelles to Amsterdam and it took me 7 minutes in the first airport, 16 minutes the actual flight and another 5 minutes in the destination airport. Total time 28 minutes (gate to gate) of which almost half was spent in the airports.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can I do the Newark to Singapore flight? How long would that take me? 18 hours?
yes but you can also choose to 'warp' to different points in the flight, so if you don't wanna stick your plane on autopilot for 10 hours, you can jump forward to key moments (like descent, approach, landing, etc).

I flew my plane to where my house should be, and whatever sat maps they're using seem to be about 10 years out of date, as it's still an empty lot.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
I mean this is absolutely amazing, I am not super interested in flight simulators but this is awesome. I would love it if someone could use map data like MSFT did to create a realistic whole world FPS where you could have multi stage battles across the world.
This video details a little about how they created it using bing data

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Love the transparency. Although I feel like I'm looking at the sausage being made.

Imagine the next Truck Simulator game using this technology.. even though I realize thats a totally different beast since it puts you close to the ground.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
LET ME INTO THE ALPHA, YOU COWARDS

It looks so good. I can't wait. I need to save up for a nice HOTAS setup. Recommendations for good, but not break-the-bank, setups?

Oct 27, 2017
This is like a game of the forever or something to that effect. I'm going to buy it just for the sheer curiosity of it all. It's a tech piece that will be a great game. I'm already guessing that this will be my game that shows my wife this is why I spent _______ on my Xbox Series X. The XB1 isn't doing this.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Lol.
Ampugnano here I come!

I'm really curious to see how minor cities are rendered, doubt there's any 3d building, but who knows

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
You know, seeing those airports made me realize this is probably great for seeing where to go for vacation next. It's one thing to see hear about places or see pictures. It's another to fly there in my living room.

Oct 26, 2017
Lol.
Ampugnano here I come!

I'm really curious to see how minor cities are rendered, doubt there's any 3d building, but who knows

For towns etc there's 3D stock buildings wherever the AI thinks it's seen a 3D building in the aerial photo data. It won't be totally accurate but you should see something.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is not true, you should watch some videos on the sim. It's a 1:1 recreation of the world using satellite imagery and AI to recreate everything. Videos we've seen from people that have tested said they could fly around cities they know and recognize everything by sight.

This is fucknig insane.

May 10, 2019
aeETyK2Xpv---mC6CBEVcf9NUkzevvlJZKvF7xrk52BTST2jo3e2uGQPQmpRQwH2DV9Z9d8Mi-ZiDYTjY872LTW6EPq9PDYlHNE9HkBF1KF6Miw7d0ViC8OodWSGv7yeSw5dR85hgyQI8gHR8RlUtex3-0vGJ4VOh8oaW6VpcJHoAPko

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this game has a large robust career mode, where you start off as a courier in a small biplane and can progress up to an airbus etc

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
I don't know who likes to live the boring turnarounds in a simulator...but i guess there's people for everything!

The sim looks incredible though, i hope they nail the flying physics.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Selfishly hoping Hong Kong is one of the specially-modeled airports. Always wanted to fly into my home town.

Jan 11, 2020
Fucking beautiful! Now give me a 1942 version of Europe and put me inside a Spitfire and call it Combat Simulator... The circle is complete

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
37 000 manually edited... Now I can't stop thinking about how many people who worked on that(please be many), that had to have been soul crushing work.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I only wanna see my local airport and the surrounding area in game because thatd be super neat. I wonder and care more about the business model and technology behind the game though rather than fly a 747 around.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Between this and Animal Crossing, I'm getting shockingly hyped for somewhat mundane concepts done exceptionally well.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
This looks incredible, I didn't think I even wanted to play a Flight sim but the footage thus far had me convinced.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
The game is running through the cloud

You don't have to be, you can decide to download regions and have it locally as well.
That's my plan, at least for areas around me. Southern UK/Northern Europe. Hopefully data streaming/terrain data can be stored on another drive and not the game itself.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I was super excited to play this in VR but honestly I'm not that pumped for the flat version at all. Did they confirm VR support won't be in at launch or do we still not know? I have no interest in playing a game like this on a monitor anymore after getting used to DCS and Elite in VR.

I'm not up on the latest information so this may have changed but when asked about it after their first preview event they said it was a high priority but that doesn't sound like it would make launch to me. This is one direct quote from Microsoft Flight Simulator head Jorg Neumann:

Very high! Asobo and I have years of experience with VR. We know what a lazy and a good implementation look like. We want to bring a good solution, for example by cutting off the cockpit from the rest of the world. Then you can move freely in it, and the world in the background does not start to shimmer. We have started with VR, but we want to do it right.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I'm not up on the latest information so this may have changed but when asked about it after their first preview event they said it was a high priority but that doesn't sound like it would make launch to me. This is one direct quote from Microsoft Flight Simulator head Jorg Neumann:

Ah thanks for pulling that quote. I've been looking into it more and it seems like it hasn't been confirmed or denied but I think your take is accurate - VR support at some point but probably not at launch - due to the way they talk about it.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
So this game is the whole Earth? God damn.

It usually is except for the early ones and one they tried before they killed it (and I thought they lost interest in ever putting out another one until they announced this one).

I'm so excited for this... all I want to know now is when is it going to be out and how well can my computer play it (and if/when they put out VR will my graphics card be good enough for that).

Basically, take my money damnit!