• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

dapwJIA.jpg

VcsEgcP.png

QIDO2vh.png

dcxsaw1nc6i41.jpg
uepzlqand6i41.jpg

8irqaidul6i41.jpg

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a setup for Elite Dangerous: I am so in for this.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to make the arduous journey from Belfast City Airport to Belfast International Airport.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
Please can someone explains to me why everyone is excited about the airport and other ground modelization. Isn't this supposed to be 2% of the game?
Like most of the game time you're just in the sky, no?

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Absolutely incredible. The more I see of this the more I wonder if Microsoft has bigger plans for this detailed model of Earth and its cities. You don't put this much work in for a flight sim, do you?

They're going after Google Earth.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Please can someone explains to me why everyone is excited about the airport and other ground modelization. Isn't this supposed to be 2% of the game?

You say "the airport" as if it's only 1 and not every airport in the world, including small strips in fields. It's an incredible amount of work.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How is it even possible to edit 37k airports manually? O: Even if it takes just a few minutes that would add up to hundreds/thousands of hours.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

You go from one airport to another several times in the game. Unless someone discovered infinite fuel you won't be flying around all the time. And for a game like this landing on a realistic airport is far more exciting than landing on the same airstrips over and over

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Hope there's a free cam mode if you just want to look around the surroundings. Has that been confirmed?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely nuts.

Have they released any kind of system requirements for this yet?

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
Absolutely incredible. The more I see of this the more I wonder if Microsoft has bigger plans for this detailed model of Earth and its cities. You don't put this much work in for a flight sim, do you?

They're going after Google Earth.

I don't think that every building is precisely modelled, so they definetly won't be unique.
I expect a lot of copy paste buildings used for towns.

I definetly don't think the game is remotely precise to the real world either (in terms roads buildings etc, perhaps the world has been shrank too?). However it doesn't mean they couldn't reuse the world for something else, but Def not as an actual navigation tool.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that every building is precisely modelled, so they definetly won't be unique.

I definetly don't think the game is remotely precise to the really world either (in terms roads buildings etc, perhaps the world has been shrank too?). However it doesn't mean they couldn't reuse the world for something else, but Def not as an actual navigation tool.

Isn't it using satellite imagery to be a 1:1 recreation? Pilots will be able to straight up train using this, so I'd be surprised if they're messing with the scale of the world or making it unable to be used for accurate navigation within the game.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
For the same reasons pilots are paid a very high salary, those 2% are the most critics.
Reproducing the landing condition is the best part.
pricing strategy hasn't been explained so far?
I don't think so and I am quite curious too.
They even have an algorithm to simulate grass and trees, it's insane.
First time Flight Simulator used satellite imagery in version 5.X (so between 1993 and 97) , the world (yes, even non gamer) was blown away.
They will managed to do it again almost 30 years laters.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
People want to see real-world airports like that from not only a visual standpoint, but to get the experience of landing and taking off at real-life airports. I can see why people are excited for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people RP this too on special servers, this will take it to the next level. It's like those funny old men who dress up like a train conductor and use model trains, but much more than that.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

I definetly don't think the game is remotely precise to the real world either (in terms roads buildings etc, perhaps the world has been shrank too?). However it doesn't mean they couldn't reuse the world for something else, but Def not as an actual navigation tool.

This is not true, you should watch some videos on the sim. It's a 1:1 recreation of the world using satellite imagery and AI to recreate everything. Videos we've seen from people that have tested said they could fly around cities they know and recognize everything by sight.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I can't wait. Give me that Taipei Songshan in-city landing. I'm not sure if it will make the cut of the iconic airports, but I'm assuming Tokyo Narita and Osaka might.

Cugel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 7, 2017
This is not true, you should watch some videos on the sim. It's a 1:1 recreation of the world using satellite imagery and AI to recreate everything. Videos we've seen from people that have tested said they could fly around cities they know and recognize everything by sight.

Is such a thing even possible?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is amazing how this game is a tech demo for some of Microsoft non gaming services.

They should find a way to cram some spreadsheets to show what's Excel capable of doing