• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Valve mentioned some time ago they were looking into this, and now they've added it to the Steam Client Beta within Steam Input.

T70icYw.png

Full Update: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta/announcements/detail/4119055961236855584

Flick Stick is a method of using analogue sticks to map 360 degree turning, for quick targeting at high speed. Combined with Gyro controls, this can allow for far quick aim than traditional analogue stick aim. For full functionality, you should use a controller with Gyro, allowing for good vertical aim also. Otherwise you will just have basic flick stick quick turning functionality:

Steam Input is the ever growing collection of tools for customising your game controls with new bindings, menus, combinations of input modalities, gyro, and much more - even when a game wasn't originally designed https://www.resetera.com/threads/steam-input-thread-comfy-couch-would-be-perfect-on-pc.36611/

Steam Input is compatible with a ton of controllers

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Will this be automatically added to games that support Steam Input, or is it something that developers will have to implement manually? Sounds cool, I'll give it a try.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Nice! Not my preferred Gyro aiming setup, but more options for the Gyro aiming crowd is always extremely welcome. Gyro aiming is the future!!!!

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Will this be automatically added to games that support Steam Input, or is it something that developers will have to implement manually? Sounds cool, I'll give it a try.
Thankfully, it doesn't require any developer involvement. As long as the game supports the mouse, you can give it a try and enable it yourself.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I've watched a couple videos about flick stick and still don't understand it fully, so I'm just gonna have to try it for myself. Are there any decent, free shooters that can run on low end specs? My laptop wouldn't be able to run a game like Doom.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay in the video in the OP did nothing to sell me on it.
Dude spends half the footage staring at peoples feet

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
While I mourn the loss of Steam Controller v2, and will keep mine safe and treasured for as long as possible. I love the constant updates and developments Steam Input has.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Isn't Steam input still unable to limit gyro to one axis, whereas Flickstick was normally shown with vertical-only gyro?

I wonder how often Steam gets ideas from other small projects and decides to add similar features.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay in the video in the OP did nothing to sell me on it.
Dude spends half the footage staring at peoples feet
I think thia video of CounterStrike Go does a better job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzbZq4OjEwE

The speed and precision at which he can find the heads on those target dummies seems significantly better than what can be done with normal joystick controls.

Having spent a lot of time playing Dreams on PS4 with its gyro cursor, I am now a believer in gyro as a mouse replacement. In terms of cursor precision and speed I'd put the gyro above other input devices such as a touch pad or track ball, and significantly ahead of a simple joystick. It's still not quite as good as a mouse, but it remains a huge step up and way better than I anticipated given my initial skepticism.

Last edited:

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I don't recall if Joycons are supported by Steam native yet. They'd probably appear as two seperate controllers.

This would absolutely work for any Switch Pro controller tho.
The revelation that playing splatoon with gyro was better when just holding the two joycons rather than putting them in that joycon holder thing made me believe in gyro aiming. I think moving ones hand rather than moving a device with both hands is much faster and more comfortable.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I've watched a couple videos about flick stick and still don't understand it fully, so I'm just gonna have to try it for myself. Are there any decent, free shooters that can run on low end specs? My laptop wouldn't be able to run a game like Doom.
CS:GO is free & doesn't require much spec-wise.

Does it support joycons? Thats the real game changer.
I don't think Steam Input supports Joy-Cons, but JoyShockMapper does.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Steam input still unable to limit gyro to one axis, whereas Flickstick was normally shown with vertical-only gyro?

I wonder how often Steam gets ideas from other small projects and decides to add similar features.

Yeah I don't think vertical-only gyro is there yet. I'm sure Nzyme32 will correct me if I'm wrong.

Played an hour of Serious Sam HD with it. It works. EXTREMELY well. The only issue is I was having to correct my gyro movements a bit too much, but that's easily solvable.

It's an experience comparable to keyboard and mouse now. I could instantly face enemies that charged past me in scenarios where even gyro + regular sticks would be too slow or imprecise. I'm really happy that Valve finally added it.

(Still doesn't beat playing Serious Sam in VR tho, hah!)

I don't think Steam Input supports Joy-Cons, but JoyShockMapper does.

Steam Input should support any controller, even the Joycons. The problem however is getting both Joycons recognized as one controller and still having gyro.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I think thia video of CounterStrike Go does a better job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzbZq4OjEwE

The speed and precision at which he can find the heads on those target dummies seems significantly better than what can be done with normal joystick controls.

Having spent a lot of time playing Dreams on PS4 with its gyro cursor, I am now a believer in gyro as a mouse replacement. In terms of cursor precision and speed I'd put the gyro above other input devices such as a touch pad or track ball, and significantly ahead of a simple joystick. It's still not quite as good as a mouse, but it remains a huge step up and way better than I anticipated given my initial skepticism.

Yep, added video to OP

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Steam Input should support any controller, even the Joycons. The problem however is getting both Joycons recognized as one controller and still having gyro.
That's what I'm referring to, sorry I didn't specify. But yeah, I know for sure that JSM recognizes two separate Joy-Cons as one.

OP
OP
Nzyme32

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I don't think vertical-only gyro is there yet. I'm sure Nzyme32 will correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah sadly not yet.
What it does have is only a vertical sensitivity scale.
If you set it as pictured, it will completely cancel vertical movement. However the other end of the scale does not cancel out horizontal.
8uPLutM.png

At best then for now, in the rare games that let you swap mouse axis, you could cancel out horizontal mouse movement that way. I'm sure with feedback from this lots of people will have the same complaint, so they "should" add the functionality

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

I don't think JibbSmart limited JSM's gyro aiming to vertical-only for his demonstrations. Speaking from experience, I do great with unrestricted gyro with flick stick.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom, Blizzard, & Riot as well. RE8, Overwatch, & Valorant respectively would benefit greatly from gyro & flick stick (Valorant in particular could actually be ported to PlayStation & Switch with G/FS).

Biggest player is activision. If this was in the next COD and even if it's not heavily advertised it'd be still somewhat huge.