• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
www.nytimes.com

FKA twigs Sues Shia LaBeouf, Citing ‘Relentless’ Abusive Relationship (Published 2020)

The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles by the musician, accuses the actor of sexual battery, assault and infliction of emotional distress.

Just after Valentine's Day in 2019, the musician FKA twigs was in a car speeding toward Los Angeles. At the wheel was her boyfriend, the actor Shia LaBeouf. He was driving recklessly, she said in a lawsuit filed on Friday, removing his seatbelt and threatening to crash unless she professed her love for him.

They were returning from the desert, where Mr. LaBeouf, the star of "Transformers," had raged at her throughout the trip, FKA twigs said in the lawsuit, once waking her up in the middle of the night, choking her. After she begged to be let out of the car, she said he pulled over at a gas station and she took her bags from the trunk. But Mr. LaBeouf followed, and assaulted her, throwing her against the car while screaming in her face, according to the suit. He then forced her back in the car.

The gas station incident is at the heart of the lawsuit that says Mr. LaBeouf, 34, abused FKA twigs physically, emotionally and mentally many times in a relationship that lasted just short of a year.

The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, says that Mr. LaBeouf knowingly gave Ms. Barnett a sexually transmitted disease. It accuses him of "relentless abuse," including sexual battery, assault and infliction of emotional distress.
Mr. LaBeouf and his representative did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the lawsuit.

Karolyn Pho, a stylist who is another of Mr. LaBeouf's former girlfriends, described similarly tumultuous experiences to The Times, some of which are also outlined in the lawsuit. Once, the suit says, he drunkenly pinned her to a bed and head-butted her, enough that she bled. Afterward, she began to grapple with the idea that he was abusing her. "So much goes into breaking down a man or woman to make them OK with a certain kind of treatment," she said in an interview.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Damn. I just saw Honey Boy last night and was wondering what her connection to LaBeaouf was.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well known attention whoring douchebag is a terrible person? Mild shock!

Still baffled me when people here on Era were defending Shia.
www.resetera.com

Am I crazy or is Shia labouf anyone else’s favorite actor?

So I just got done watching honey boy and holy shit that’s a brilliant movie. Not to get to spoiler but it’s an autobiography about Shia laboufs life growing up and he plays his dad. It’s an extremely excellent film and really shows why Shia was the way he was for a while. It’s a film where by...

Last edited:

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Ughhh I hope this isn't true as I thought Shia was having a nice career/life rebound recently? Maybe not smh.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Poor woman. I thought Shia turned for the better.

I hope the gas station had cameras, so he cant really pull the old "thats not how it happened" BS.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Shia definitely always came across as a dude with a lot of issues. Not shocked to hear something like this.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck man. I really loved Shia and his career was on the upswing. Honey Boy, PBF....fuck. Fuck him

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. LaBeouf responded Thursday to the concerns raised by Ms. Barnett, and a second former girlfriend who has accused him of abusive behavior, in an email that broadly addressed his conduct.

"I'm not in any position to tell anyone how my behavior made them feel," he said in an email to The New York Times. "I have no excuses for my alcoholism or aggression, only rationalizations. I have been abusive to myself and everyone around me for years. I have a history of hurting the people closest to me. I'm ashamed of that history and am sorry to those I hurt. There is nothing else I can really say."

Sounds contrite. I wonder what damages FKA Twigs is seeking.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Shia was a weirdo but actually going out and assaulting people is new to me. Goddamn even Steven.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Christ that sounds horrifying. Hopefully she's in a better place now, that would be horrid to go through.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
So that Rob Cantor song about Shia wasn't made for humour. It's what women had to do to get away from the POS.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
His own words are pretty much straight admission, at least as I read them.

"I'm not in any position to tell anyone how my behavior made them feel," he said in an email to The New York Times. "I have no excuses for my alcoholism or aggression, only rationalizations. I have been abusive to myself and everyone around me for years. I have a history of hurting the people closest to me. I'm ashamed of that history and am sorry to those I hurt. There is nothing else I can really say."

The guy clearly has behavioural issues it seems. At least he's not - apparently - hiding behind screen of complete denial; but while I can have a degree of understanding for someone with such issues it's doesn't excuse the abuse they dole out onto others. He really needs to try and sort his behaviour and addictions better than he has to date.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I thought deep down past the weird attention seeking stuff he was a good guy. I know he went through a lot of abuse himself but that doesn't excuse this. Hope his victims get closure and he gets help

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Hopefully FKA gets whatever she is looking to get. She was in a terrible situation nobody should ever have to endure. Shia has seemingly needed to get help for a very long time. Hopefully he does that so no future SO will become a part of his cycle.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
What in the fuck. Fuck that dude to hell, I hope this ruins him.

Secondly, I had no idea they were involved. Proud of Twigs for getting out of that. Horrendous.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Damn, I thought deep down past the weird attention seeking stuff he was a good guy. I know he went through a lot of abuse himself but that doesn't excuse this. Hope his victims get closure and he gets help

Yeah I need to read up more on his past and what all of the controversy was regarding his upbringing, parents, child stardom, etc. but he has always seem like an unwell person and it's sad to hear he's not only not gotten better, but is now abusive.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like she's gonna give to charities that deal with abuse, but the descriptions in the article seem a bit more intense than 'I had an alcohol and abuse problem'.

Dude should be in jail.

Yeah, just read that. Good on her.

All of these allegations are almost impossible to prove to a criminal burden of proof. Civil is much more likely to at least accrue some restitution.

Dec 6, 2017
US
This asshole has had multiple public meltdowns and is clearly unhinged. It's a shame this had to happen to her but sadly not a surprise to see his name involved in some crazy rage shit.

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Fuck. I always liked Shia. I knew he was weird, but never thought it went into this territory.

Reading his quotes in the article is wild. He seems so aware of what a piece of shit he is and makes no excuses. Not sure I'll ever understand that mindset.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I need to read up more on his past and what all of the controversy was regarding his upbringing, parents, child stardom, etc. but he has always seem like an unwell person and it's sad to hear he's not only not gotten better, but is now abusive.
It's not an autobiography or anything, but Honey Boy is based on his own upbringing with his abusive father in Hollywood. Sad to see

Good movie though

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, I don't know why people were pushing to rehabilitate his image here. So weird! So quirky! Isn't that so cool??