• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to watch this as soon as I'm off work. Wasn't Stefan getting death threats and shit after the original video went live? Absolutely ridiculous

I love PC gaming with my whole heart but there's such a gross gatekeeping/elitist attitude that pervades it, not to mention the whole "PC master race" thing which is just awful

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
This is so cute. For all the issues I have with LTT videos in general, things like this are why I still come back.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
This is a really nice video. Linus trying to curb some of the toxicity is good for them.

The dude got so many dumb backlash. He is like 24 so he was like 22 when that video was made. Hopefully people just let this go.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Stefan obviously agreed to be on this, so hopefully it can be a nice closure on that whole deal for him. Hope his career can go to new heights.

Fuck PCMR elitism, yay for inclusive and forgiving PC community that can see the humans instead of the dumb details.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
There's no fixing that first video by The Verge, it's a good thing they took it down so that people don't burn their houses down.

This video is gold though.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I honestly didn't remember this until I saw the video image.

That was a doozy, the Internet on it's full "glory".

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Fun concept. Sounds like the editing made the original seem worse than it was.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Now this is a redemption arc. And good on Linus for helping fight against some of the toxic responses to the Verge video & being supportive of Stefan in general.

That said, I've noticed that Linus has been collaborating with quite a few of Black folks lately. And while I'm glad he's doing so, it keeps reminding me that Linus Media Group has zero Black employees. A shame, as I really enjoy LMG's content.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
That was great. I have certainly made a lot of the mistakes they were talking about over the last 15 years.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Now this is a redemption arc. And good on Linus for helping fight against some of the toxic responses to the Verge video & being supportive of Stefan in general.

That said, I've noticed that Linus has been collaborating with quite a few of Black folks lately. And while I'm glad he's doing so, it keeps reminding me that Linus Media Group has zero Black employees. A shame, as I really enjoy LMG's content.
Yeah, I get that they operate out of Canada, but they've got a huge US audience and some diversity wouldn't hurt

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Linus is in the Vancouver area right? Unfortunately there's just not a lot of Black folks here, going by Vancouver's demographics on average every company with 100 employees would have one Black employee, assuming everything else was equal.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Dope to see. Stefan got death threats galore, racist shit thrown at him (but of course) and all other manner of things. He got doxxed at one point I believe.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Linus is in the Vancouver area right? Unfortunately there's just not a lot of Black folks here, going by Vancouver's demographics on average every company with 100 employees would have one Black employee, assuming everything else was equal.
True, but it's not like everyone at LMG was originally from Vancouver.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never had a problem with Stefan. The Verge was viewed as "the tech blog", while obviously maintaining an Apple Stan reputation. That video was on the producers/editors and the lawyers. Anyone that harassed or threatened Stefan is a piece of shit that deserves to die in a fire.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, that was a fun and informative vid. It actually made me re-check my motherboard a bit, turns out I thought the PCIE slots were also for NVME drives but the motherboard actually has two dedicated NVME M2 slots, I just wasn't paying as much attention to the manual and the heat sinks were actively hiding the slots.

I'll have to watch this as soon as I'm off work. Wasn't Stefan getting death threats and shit after the original video went live? Absolutely ridiculous

I love PC gaming with my whole heart but there's such a gross gatekeeping/elitist attitude that pervades it, not to mention the whole "PC master race" thing which is just awful
It speaks volumes that Yahtzee himself disowned the phrase years ago because people were using it unironically and called out the gatekeeping elistism as far back as his Kingdom Come review. "PC Master Race" was always supposed to be a joke.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019
London
I never had a problem with Stefan. The Verge was viewed as "the tech blog", while obviously maintaining an Apple Stan reputation. That video was on the producers/editors and the lawyers. Anyone that harassed or threatened Stefan is a piece of shit that deserves to die in a fire.

Humorously, I see a lot of Apple fans who despise The Verge because they feel they have an agenda against them

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
That was a great video. Stefan seems to be taking it in his stride now. Fair play to him.

I laughed at the Verge PC build, I thought it was a joke at first with how bad it was, but regardless I always felt the hate on Stefan himself was way OTT. He just made a bit of shite video and then didn't take the criticism too well. That really shouldn't be enough to villainise someone as hard as the internet did. The reaction was ridiculous imo.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Fun concept. Sounds like the editing made the original seem worse than it was.

Well, yes and no. The editing didn't make Stefan state some _absurdly wrong_ things in a video that was claiming to have at least some educative purpose. Iit's whoever wrote the SCRIPT who fucked up big time. Some things were actually FIXED in Editing (like the IO shield, the RAM placement, etc.)

Like, it's not the editing that made him call zip ties "tweezers", listing a "swiss army knife" as a necessary tool, mistake the anti vibration rubber feet to have "insulation" purposes , confidently calling the CPU holding bracket a "CPU installation tool" and making up some imaginary purpose, etc.

It wasn't just editing that made the video bad, and there's a difference between 'honest mistakes' and 'purposefully and confidently(!) showing a bunch of wrong information in a video meant to educate your viewership'.

Again, none of that defends the amount of abuse and toxicty that was thrown at Stefan - but let's not retcon what happened here 🤷‍♂️
The video was shit, people should have poked fun of it for a day, used it as a source of some harmless memes ("That's right, we got one"!) and moved on.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE how even in this redemption video, Linus screws up by forgetting about the CPU cooler's backplate, though 😅

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of feel good stuff I like to see online. Props to Stefan for being candid throughout the video.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
This is Linus best video. Very cool of Stefan for reaching him out to do it.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
LooooooooooooooooL
E-xnjoAXEAA4kng

But seriously though great video glad they did this :D

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Well, yes and no. The editing didn't make Stefan state some _absurdly wrong_ things in a video that was claiming to have at least some educative purpose. Iit's whoever wrote the SCRIPT who fucked up big time. Some things were actually FIXED in Editing (like the IO shield, the RAM placement, etc.)

Like, it's not the editing that made him call zip ties "tweezers", listing a "swiss army knife" as a necessary tool, mistake the anti vibration rubber feet to have "insulation" purposes , confidently calling the CPU holding bracket a "CPU installation tool" and making up some imaginary purpose, etc.

It wasn't just editing that made the video bad, and there's a difference between 'honest mistakes' and 'purposefully and confidently(!) showing a bunch of wrong information in a video meant to educate your viewership'.

Again, none of that defends the amount of abuse and toxicty that was thrown at Stefan - but let's not retcon what happened here 🤷‍♂️
The video was shit, people should have poked fun of it for a day, used it as a source of some harmless memes ("That's right, we got one"!) and moved on.

i LOVE LOVE LOVE how even in this redemption video, Linus screws up by forgetting about the CPU cooler's backplate, though 😅
I still blame editorial for all that since they clearly gave no shits about the quality of the product they made him make. Then they left him to twist as the front man and didn't back him up at all.