• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
What do they define as religion? Doesn't really mean anything to me unless that's clarified.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
What do they define as religion? Doesn't really mean anything to me unless that's clarified.
I'm GUESSING it refers to organized religion rather than religious belief, given it says they're "religiously unaffiliated" rather than out and out "atheist" or "agnostic". Which isn't all that surprising when you consider things like football teams or fandom of certain media functions as religions (i.e., building community and something to live/fight for) have cropped up without requiring you to believe in seemingly outrageous things that contradict known science and history.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Religion is just more socially acceptable cults.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I have never been highly religious, but I respect aspects of it. On the whole, I think it is an overall positive faith system, however, it's of the utmost importance for it to be a private matter with oneself. Personally speaking, I don't feel that I have to leave a religion to make some kind of statement. It's simply there for me in a passive sort of way.

A lot of people in America treat religion in a destructive manner. It's a pity to see.

Oct 28, 2017
It's easy to view this as a net positive given just how much bigotry in the US has sprung from the pulpit. But keep in mind, that plenty of the youngin's that consider themselves "unreligious" are just replacing one dogma with another as they dive deep into so-called "logic" and right wing shit on YouTube.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more impressed with those stats if they weren't busy talking about how so-and-so is such a Scorpio. I'm not sure how woo-woo spirituality is much better than traditional religions.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
source.gif

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
When the dominant established religion is American southern white evangelicalism, which is selling a moral philosophy that includes asserting that women can't teach men, that gays are an abomination, evolution is a lie, sexual assault in the church should be handled in "private" with "church discipline," and above all, trust your pastor and Mr. Trump, PLUS hand waving away verses like "slaves should obey their masters," I can't imagine why the most college educated generation in American history ain't buying that bullshit anymore. We don't need it to raise our families, to have peace, identity, or meaning in our lives.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
Good, religion is one of the worst things humanity has created.

I was raised christian but started questioning it when I realized all the incest that would've had to happen if Adam and Eve were in fact the first people who led to everyone else. That shit was too weird and gross for me to put any faith into.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I literally have 2 Facebook friends that are my age that religious.

But here in Québec we got a nice headstart in dumping religion, after our history with the catholic church.

Aug 12, 2019
Great, I have no issues with individual spirituality or a general belief in a higher power, but this organized religion being at the center of everything, deciding policy, and being something that people kill and judge one another on... No thanks. Our generation is calling bullshit on "thoughts and prayers" and "but God" because we see a fundamentally messed up world for what it is and we see the hypocrisy of religion for what it is.

I just hope it's not too little too late...

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I never left religion because I never joined it in the first place, but I consider that be a good thing. Religion as a whole has done more harm than good in it's history in my opinion. If other people find some kind of peace or fulfilment in it then that's fine with me, but I'd rather not be apart of that.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those, while my father was a big christian who tried to teach me a lot on the bible, his alcoholism destroyed any credibility or influence he tried to have on me. My mother insisted that I choose if I wanted to go through baptism or not. I chose not to, without regret as I'm an atheist today. I have a very pragmatic view on religion, while I respect those who genuinely believe, most world's powers use religions as tools and means of war amongst too many other attrocities.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
The nonreligious numbers are going to skyrocket when they start polling children of millennials. While many millennials had to leave a church, their children will have avoided being indoctrinated altogether. A nonreligious person independently becoming religious is already being outcompeted by people leaving the church. The death rate of the religious versus the birth rate of those who will never go to church will be staggering.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my family is religious. I studied and graduated in a Catholic school. Despite all that, I'm an atheist.

Reason? Easy. The Catholic Church is one of the most corrupt and disgusting institutions that has ever existed. That turned me away from believing that a god existed.

Other religions are also shit. In fact, the idea that an almighty creature exists is laughable for me. That is why I'm an atheist.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that describes me to the tee.

Started when I asked about evolution in bible study, and got the worlds most unsatisfactory answer. Ended with my atheist friend asking what was the point in believing in something solely out of fear of going to hell.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more impressed with those stats if they weren't busy talking about how so-and-so is such a Scorpio. I'm not sure how woo-woo spirituality is much better than traditional religions.
I know where you're coming from, but astrology, dumb as it is, doesn't directly contribute to anti-abortion, anti-LGBTQ, or sexist views, so.

I'll consider it an upgrade if we only believe in astrology.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why does anyone need religion nowadays?

If it's for tradition, replace it with something beneficial to society.
If it's for morals, that's a failure of your community and upbringing.
If it's for community, there's more supportive and active groups out there.
If it's for fear of what lies beyond, focus on your life by being happy and making those around you happy.

Religion will always exist, but it was an answer to ignorance and lack of knowledge. No, humans don't know everything - but we have reached beyond the cloud s and have seen ourselves. It will slowly dissolve into a minority and not recover.

As an aside, I am interested in a discussion - maybe I'm missing something.

Back in the day, especially when it comes to American Christian Evangelism, religion was recreation too. Even with what little free time people had, they couldn't figure out a better way to amuse themselves. The hot ticket in town was a seat at the local tent revival. Nowadays, there's too much fun stuff to do.

Also, faith in religion has been increasingly usurped in part by devotionals and faith in things like multinational entertainment companies, political schools of thought, charismatic autocrats.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Unfortunate, but expected.

As this article is US-focused, Christianity has done very little to rebuff the antics of the current administration. Furthermore, there is enough evidence now to indicate that the allegiance of conservatives to religion is a smokescreen for something...diabolical. After all, the current POTUS is America's first atheist. He's leading the way.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I was pushed away because the social stances were so bigoted. But with my asshole engineering mind I would have been disillusioned because it doesn't make sense.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
The morality thing is very accurate, I have atheist friends who have no problem in enrolling their kids in religioua schools because "it teaches them good values".
I make the point always that religion does not hold exclusivoty in morals and that secular morality is in many ways better than religious morality. So I see this point being a key one.

Nov 11, 2017
I know my grandmother tried to indoctrinate me like the rest of my cousins when I was little. Being a quiet child worked in my favor, since I never questioned anything they said so they must have taken it for granted I believed them. It never occurred my six year old self to take this shit about Jesus seriously. I remember thinking my other grandmother told better cuentos but didn't want to make my religious grandmother feel bad.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Trump has shown that Christians are largely driven by racism and hate, so this isn't exactly a surprise. Good riddance.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We got new religions Nowadays. I consider my self PlayStationity and left Christianinity years ago.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Why you are so obtuse? (Let me guess you are religious ) I am saying that the phenomenon is not exclusive to millennials
lmao at the bolded

anyway, lol ok pal, but your statement literally has nothing to do with anything regarding these polls. the report never said that everyone was religious until millennials came along and changed the game

see below. the generational gap is clear.

AdNhUnO.png

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
I'm a millennial that grew up in Christian Science because my dad is one.

However, I started learning about religion in college and while I'm respectful of other people's beliefs, I ended up becoming an agnostic because while I believe that some kind of higher power exists, I'm not exactly sure what it is and I can't get really behind any particular religion or God.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
lmao at the bolded

anyway, lol ok pal, but your statement literally has nothing to do with anything regarding these polls. the report never said that everyone was religious until millennials came along and changed the game

see below. the generational gap is clear.

AdNhUnO.png

Ok let me first apologize. I didn't want to be rude, but your comment was and I reacted badly.

I also realize now that the thread is regarding specifically the US, which is traditionally very religious.

And I am not from US.

My point was that I was not born atheist. Actually I was raised catholic. But also moved away from religion later in life, as most of the new generation is doing.

But again, this thread is about US, so you are right, my statement is off.