• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Five weeks off - what to play?

• Earthbound

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 78 31.1%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Knights of the Old Republic

Votes: 34 13.5%
  • Chrono Trigger

Votes: 71 28.3%
  • Metroid Prime 2

Votes: 26 10.4%

• Total voters

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Hey everyone!
Since I am a teacher and schools in my county have been shutdown for 5 weeks due to the Corona Virus (3 weeks + 2 weeks Easter break) I suddenly have loads of time. As I am making my way through Ori and the Will of Wisps I am wondering what I will play next.
Here are some of my options, throw in some other recommendations if you want to. My system are Switch, SNES, GC, Xbox One X and I got a Surface Laptop 3 i5 13".

I always wanted to play Earthbound but I am biased about it since I often read stuff about an unfair combat system. Yet I totally dig the art style and was always fond of Ness since Smash Bros.
Another game is Read Dead Redemption 2. I own the game but never got around to play since I only picked it up because the price was decent (like 17$). Never really was into RDR but I feel like I am missing out on something due to all the praise the games gets.
The Outer Worlds is on my list because I am a huge fan of Obsidians former works so I really looked forward to this game but it did not appeal to my when it released.
Knights of the old Repiblic is a tough one since I played the game back when it released and got a bluescreen in the court scene in Manaan. Since then I've never touched the game again because I lost my progress.
Chrono Trigger always makes the top 3 in the ERA RPG list so I got interested in it and always felt like there should be something to it. Maybe you can sell me on this game?
Played all the Metroid Game (which I all love with Prime being my favourite one) except for Metroid Prime 2 and 3, I somehow never got around to playing these even though I own them.

So ERA, please help me decide, I am in Pile of Shame paralysis. Thanks folks!

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ori and the Will of Wisps was going to be my suggestion, but I see you are way ahead of me. I'm holding on tight for Doom Eternal, and have been playing Shadowrun Returns to pass the time until that launches.
I always wanted to play Earthbound but I am biased about it since I often read about an unfair combat system.
I think you should still give it a try. Earthbound has a few things that I find frustrating, but so many strengths that make it a really worthwhile, and incredibly charming playthrough. Metroid Prime 2 is also a great play. Probably not quite as strong as 1 or 3, but I think it has the best atmosphere and is still an amazing game.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
KOTOR is seriously one of the greats. I've replayed it like 6 times and I still have the urge to play it again. Even if you know the story from being spoiled, the journey along the way is fantastic. If you're even a small Star Wars fan, I think you'll really enjoy it. Fantastic music also. The dantooine plains music is crazy good.

That's my vote.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Red Dead 2?

You could definitely spend the next 5 weeks immersed in its world. Just as long as you can get through the first 10 hours or so of the game. It's incredibly slow, but it's worth it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
rdr 2 truly shines when you have lots of free time and can afford long play sessions. It's an incredible journey.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing + Doom Eternal hitting next week. Good time to revisit Doom 2016 if you haven't already done so.

I'd also recommend that since you have a One X, get yourself a month of GamePass, and just go down the list in genres you like. There's a lot of quality games on there, especially console GamePass.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Metroid Prime 2 would be an ecellent choice and imo the best game on the list. It has fantastic world design, great mechanics and has a very tense feeling to it - both because of the style and the dark world mechanics.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Prime 2, the only reason it is underlooked is because prime 1 is considered one of the best games ever.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
please please PLEASE avoid RDR2. That's just time wasted that'll never come back.
Voted for Chrono Trigger, you can't go wrong with that one or MP2

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
From that list definately RDR2!

Other [random] suggestions I'd like to make are Dishonored 2 and Prey. Both are awesome "start playing and before you know it it's 8 hours later" games.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Hey everyone!
Since I am a teacher and schools in my county have been shutdown for 5 weeks due to the Corona Virus (3 weeks + 2 weeks Easter break) I suddenly have loads of time. As I am making my way through Ori and the Will of Wisps I am wondering what I will play next.
Here are some of my options, throw in some other recommendations if you want to. My system are Switch, SNES, GC, Xbox One X and I got a Surface Laptop 3 i5 13".

I always wanted to play Earthbound but I am biased about it since I often read stuff about an unfair combat system. Yet I totally dig the art style and was always fond of Ness since Smash Bros.
Another game is Read Dead Redemption 2. I own the game but never got around to play since I only picked it up because the price was decent (like 17$). Never really was into RDR but I feel like I am missing out on something due to all the praise the games gets.
The Outer Worlds is on my list because I am a huge fan of Obsidians former works so I really looked forward to this game but it did not appeal to my when it released.
Knights of the old Repiblic is a tough one since I played the game back when it released and got a bluescreen in the court scene in Manaan. Since then I've never touched the game again because I lost my progress.
Chrono Trigger always makes the top 3 in the ERA RPG list so I got interested in it and always felt like there should be something to it. Maybe you can sell me on this game?
Played all the Metroid Game (which I all love with Prime being my favourite one) except for Metroid Prime 2 and 3, I somehow never got around to playing these even though I own them.

So ERA, please help me decide, I am in Pile of Shame paralysis. Thanks folks!

Wait you love Metroid and Prime is your favorite but you've never played 2? This is way easier than it seemed.

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I'd say Earthbound and Chrono Trigger. They are not excessively long RPGs. If you play for around 5 or so hours each day, you can get them done in a week each. Three weeks between both if you play leisurely. That'll leave you plenty of time to play something else.

Wait you love Metroid and Prime is your favorite but you've never played 2? This is way easier than it seemed.

Eh, I'd disagree. I thought Prime 2 was nowhere near as good as Prime. The dark-light switching mechanic got old fast for me.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
I'm biased in favor of "eliminating a backlog", so lacking any other criteria I'd start out with the shortest games. On your shortlist I'm gonna guess that's Metroid Prime 2 (and 3, if you decide to go right into the sequel) just owing to their FPS nature. I know nothing about The Outer Worlds but Earthbound and CT aren't massively long.

Or if you're the type that likes to (needs to) switch gears, pick one of the RPGs and intersperse that with Metroid Prime sessions when you get fatigued. I'm gonna arbitrarily say start with Earthbound because I like it's fully turn-based combat system best.

sell RDR2 and put the proceeds toward Yakuza 0, thanks for coming to my TED talk

Aug 28, 2019
Earthbound, easily. Although a silly game on the surface, it is actually a unique, thoughtful, and emotional experience, and one of the best JRPGs ever made. I first played and enjoyed this game as a kid, but I didn't truly appreciate its themes and message until I revisited it as an adult. There isn't much else like it.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the combat system. I'm not sure why it would be called unfair. The game is maybe a bit more challenging than average for a JRPG of its era, but experienced RPGers shouldn't have too much trouble.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
I say play Outer Worlds first. It's a great game, snappy writing, good combat. You can have it done pretty quick with all the free time too. You'll still get to some of the others no problem.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger is like a secret Dragon Quest game with time travel. And it's better than DQ7. It's something you should really experience, followed by Earthbound and Metroid Prime 2.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
You should definitely run through KOTOR asap and get to KOTOR2. I recently played it and it has blown my mind as a Star Wars fan.
I don't care if its canon, it was a damn good game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
RDR2 is definitely the best 'I have loads of free time to sink in to it' game there.
They're all worth playing, but RDR2 is one of those where you can lose hours doing trivial things.

Oct 30, 2017
Red_Dead_Redemption_II.jpg

It's perfect for your situation to get lost in another breathtaking alive world with one of the best protagonists of all time.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
May I ask where you live that you have 5 weeks off as a teacher? Asking for my wife

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
JustTom interesting that Germany has decided to close schools, here in Australia we are being advised the opposite in hopes it contains students and prevents them mingling where it may be. Though for me I'm also in rural remote so chances of it getting to us are zero outside of those flying in from Brisbane.

Anyway, I'd definitely recommend some small games to keep things interesting though online games could help retain that social interaction. Could always do unit planning 😉

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Outer Worlds is the only one I'd not recommend, though I've not played RDR2. It starts off pretty good but gets VERY trope-y and plays everything 100% straight after that - I thought it was terribly boring. Your companion Parvati is one of the few genuine bright spots but honestly not worth the price of admission.

P. S. If you play KOTOR 1,follow it up with KOTOR 2 with the Restoration Mod - one of the best games ever imo.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I say start with Chrono Trigger (the greatest game of all time IMO) and then check out EarthBound if you're not JRPG'd out. Also consider Ōkami, if you enjoy pre-BotW 3D Zelda games and like the idea of playing the best one ever.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
if your in the mood for JRPGs, I would highly, HIGHLY recommend you try Trails. The games are very long so it's not the type of series you'll get through in 5 weeks, but you can at least finish 1 or 2 games in the series.

Highly recommend you start with the Sky trilogy, which unfortunately are only available on PC, but most modern PCs can run these games without any problems.