• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
We really need to stop obsessing over the faces of the characters.

A large development team does somehow mean that you'll like the faces on the characters.
Or in this case, a small development team=/=better faces for characters that we associate movie stars with.

They are very bland. They convey zero personality.
This quite genuinely has NOTHING to do with the team size. Like, literally zero.

All this talk about Deus Ex and ya'll ain't even buy the last one.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How did a game on that tech demand that many devs?

That seems to be the main issue with the RE Engine thus far (the amount of time, resources and manpower required for that exquisite detail), and likely why they haven't made any open world games with it yet.

I can't imagine how much work a dinosaur would take...

Nov 1, 2017
Clearly a big project for them.

Now if they could get a 6th studio to redo the chara design I might be interested in the game again.

I laughed out loud but yeah, this. I can't get over the utterly bizarre choice to make the game look so much like the MCU movies but not get the likenesses of the actors involved. Every single time i see any of the cast it's like the worst case of uncanny valley i've ever experienced in gaming and it breaks my brain a bit. It feels so off, just wrong. In comparison even with the "lesser" graphics Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 on the Switch looks a million times better when it comes to character design.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like they have assembled their own team of dev avengers. Super excited about this. Lost Legacy was absolutely fantastic and GoW is probably my favorite combat system of this gen.

Wow that is indeed quite a team

GoW lead combat designer in charge of the combat

The Lost Legacy director for creative director

COD and Halo guys for multiplayer lead team

On paper, it sounds amazing

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Or in this case, a small development team=/=better faces for characters that we associate movie stars with.

This quite genuinely has NOTHING to do with the team size. Like, literally zero.

Thanks for putting that on the new page.

The public was barely shown any substantial stretches of gameplay though, so that's the biggest thing to comment on.

Yeah I'll admit the lack of gameplay is frustrating. Honestly, unless that 12 minute segment is bad they should just put it out so people can look at it.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
So now the game sucks cuz 5 studios are working on it?

Certainly not the intent of my OP:

"I think my biggest concern for a game like this has always been if it was even possible to manage the scale necessary for Avengers while also making all the heroes look and play differently instead of slight clones of one another. Even now, the way they explain the story sounds like a game that would require hundreds of developers if not more--constantly adding new heroes and areas, giving decent five to ten hour story chunks to the main characters in the base game? And that's to say nothing of their promise of being able to customize each individual hero to a player's liking. It sounds like incredibly time-intensive work, but learning that Crystal Dynamics and Marvel Games were both well aware and have taken the steps to ensure they've got the manpower to get it done is encouraging. "

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not arguing the quality of the faces. I'm saying that is unrelated to the size of a development team.
Are you kidding me? If a dev team were big enough, they could literally dedicate a whole group of people to just perfecting the faces.

Dec 12, 2017
Nixxes is a PC port group. I'd imagine Crystal NW is tech oriented. Eidos perhaps helping with asset generation. This isnt a "too many cooks situation"

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Even the Crash and Spyro remakes had multiple studios behind them... so yeah this is standard practice when it comes to modern big budget development.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Holy shit this thread is hilarious ,yall have some serious issues with this game I can't grasp. The face thing continues to be sad

But this is honestly good news my biggest worry about the game was how they'd roll out content and how content heavy the game will be. Hopefully they don't just dump the game on one of the studios post launch like they usually do with these things it'd be pretty cool if we had at least 2 making content. A gaas game that is singleplayer (with co OP if I want) sounds rad if they can keep up a good pace of post launch content.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I think the follow up article is even more important:

Square Enix has high hopes for Marvel's Avengers. Although the game didn't completely wow the crowds at E3 2019, neither did Insomniac's Spider-Man (the previous project in this new video game push for Marvel) when it first debuted at E3 2016. And that PlayStation 4 exclusive went on to deliver huge critical and commercial success. Indeed, Matsuda says that Spider-Man's popularity has raised his hopes for The Avengers.

"Spider-Man was a huge title and a major success, so we would like to work hard to have that kind of success," he says. "So I guess it did increase my expectations [for Avengers]. I do believe you have to have high goals. I thought that Spider-Man was fantastic, but we don't want to be bested by them. We are working very hard on the development effort right now, so that we are able to provide a new experience."

Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-27-square-enix-we-always-look-out-for-new-ip

Someone should really make an Avengers discussion thread around here, just like Final Fantasy and Cyberpunk have. I mean, articles keep popping up with interviews, and we are barely discussing it. I do remember people's reactions to Spider-Man's first trailer and it truly wasn't that different from Avengers this year. The team formed to bring this together and what they are aiming for seems gold to me, I think we might have actual gameplay from the game shown off during SDCC, can anyone work on a fixed discussion thread for the game during this maybe? SageShinigami ZeoVGM

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
It just baffles me how you have so many people yet on your big reveal you show no gameplay leaving everyone to rightfully mock how bad and generic the designs are.