• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
That's well within the percentage of people I assume are loopy. Not "losing faith in humanity" over this.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
How can you not believe the Holocaust took place? We have proof...

British people can be morons, but 5% seems like a lot. Very disappointing.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is how statistics works. You can take a small sample size and fairly accuratley extrapolate it to a pretty large population. You are arguing against proven mathematics.

No, it's an estimate. If the thread's title was "approximately 5% of British people may not believe the Holocaust happened and roughly 8% are possibly incapable of accurately stating how many lives were lost", it would be fine.

You wouldn't be labelling anyone or stating anything definitively, but it would be like pulling ten fruits out of a barrel, finding three of them are oranges and saying you think roughly 30% of the fruit in the barrel are oranges. You're not saying that, out of a barrel of two hundred fruits, exactly sixty of them are oranges.

Semantics are kind of important when discussing serious issues like this, otherwise you end up attributing opinions to people you have no way to definitively prove they even have. You're just assuming they do and forming an opinion on them because of your assumptions.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to assume Winny is showing us how people can come to disbelieve something despite the evidence at hand.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You obviously feel insulted, but why do you think it's inaccurate?

I do not deny that one hundred people out of the two thousand they surveyed do not believe the Holocaust happened. I do, however, refuse to accept that because those one hundred people do not believe the Holocaust happened, that we must assume there are 3'299'900 other British people in this country that also do not believe the Holocaust happened.

This is literally the opposite of "there are dozens of us! Dozens!"

Oct 27, 2017
An important aspect to this is that these people are not oblibious to the truth. They went to school, they likely saw Holocaust-themed movies or documentaries. They know what is the timeline of events.

These kind of people intentionally choose to believe in mindless conspiracy theories like the non-existence of Holocaust, chemtrails or whatever the fuck. That's the scary part: this percentage of people can see the stats and facts but are unable to process them because they contradict their horrible views.

Scary stuff.

The secondary school (high school) graduation rate in the UK is lower than 95%. The idea that all pupils watch (and actually immerse themselves) in historical movies/documentaries is ludicrous, especially if you expect more than 95% to retain the knowledge.

You really have no case to argue that those people are believing in alternative history/conspiracies as opposed to simply not knowing it.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's an estimate. If the thread's title was "approximately 5% of British people may not believe the Holocaust happened and roughly 8% are possibly incapable of accurately stating how many lives were lost", it would be fine.

You wouldn't be labelling anyone or stating anything definitively, but it would be like pulling ten fruits out of a barrel, finding three of them are oranges and saying you think roughly 30% of the fruit in the barrel are oranges. You're not saying that, out of a barrel of two hundred fruits, exactly sixty of them are oranges.

Semantics are kind of important when discussing serious issues like this, otherwise you end up attributing opinions to people you have no way to definitively prove they even have. You're just assuming they do and forming an opinion on them because of your assumptions.

I do not deny that one hundred people out of the two thousand they surveyed do not believe the Holocaust happened. I do, however, refuse to accept that because those one hundred people do not believe the Holocaust happened, that we must assume there are 3'299'900 other British people in this country that also do not believe the Holocaust happened.

Take it from someone well educated in the field of stats and polling, you are not right here and are making yourself look bad doubling down.

I gave you the quick tldr on polling on the last page, you need to go do some more reading.

There is some great irony in a topic involving conspiracy theorists, you're effectively doing your own conspiratorial thinking around the fields of science and essentially stating "fake news".

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
That 5% isn't too bad considering how little people trust the UK press. Truth is on shaky ground here, so there's plenty of room for crazy people to start believing all sorts of wild conspiracies.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
How can you not believe the Holocaust took place? We have proof...

British people can be morons, but 5% seems like a lot. Very disappointing.
Proof means nothing, and this is an issue the world over.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...-their-knowledge-holocaust-history-180968783/

US Poll said:
A substantial number of the survey's respondents were unaware of basic facts about the Holocaust. Forty-one percent did not know what Auschwitz was. Nearly one-third of respondents (31 percent) believed that less than 2 million Jews were killed during the Holocaust; the actual number is closer to 6 million. Only 37 percent of people were able to identify Poland as a country where the Holocaust occurred, even though at least 3 million Jewish citizens of Poland were murdered during WWII.

Gaps in knowledge were pronounced among "millennials," which the survey defined as people between the ages of 18 and 34. Twenty-two percent of millennials, for instance, said they had not heard of, or were unsure if they had heard of the Holocaust, compared to 11 percent of all adults. Forty-nine percentof millennials were unable to name a single concentration camp or ghetto, compared to 45 percent of all adults.

This isn't even just an issue with the Holocaust. It's literally everything.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1577511/Winston-Churchill-didnt-really-exist-say-teens.html

In 2008 3000 under 20s in the UK were surveyed
A fifth of British teenagers believe Sir Winston Churchill was a fictional character, while many think Sherlock Holmes, King Arthur and Eleanor Rigby were real, a survey shows.

Despite his celebrated military reputation, 47 per cent of respondents dismissed the 12th-century crusading English king Richard the Lionheart as fictional.

More than a quarter (27 per cent) thought Florence Nightingale, the pioneering nurse who coaxed injured soldiers back to health in the Crimean War, was a mythical figure.

King Arthur is the mythical figure most commonly mistaken for fact - almost two thirds of teens (65 per cent) believe that he existed and led a round table of knights at Camelot.

Sherlock Holmes, the detective, was so convincingly brought to life in Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novels, their film versions and television series, that 58 per cent of respondents believe that the sleuth really lived at 221B Baker Street.

Fifty-one per cent of respondents believed that Robin Hood lived in Sherwood Forest, robbing the rich to give to the poor, while 47 per cent believed Eleanor Rigby was a real person rather than a creation of The Beatles.

But sure, lets let these fucking idiots (everyone, not just these teens) decide whether we stay in the EU or not.

Oct 27, 2017

Would you accept that there's a 95% probability that between 4.04% and 5.96% of the population deny the holocaust?
https://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

Confidence level: 95%
Sample size: 2000
Population: 66000000
Percentage: 5%

Resulting confidence interval: 0.96
This means the true answer is 95% likely to be between 4.04% and 5.96%.

I admit I didn't remember the number for Jews murdered in the holocaust either. My guess was 10 million, which is off by 4 million.
Are you similarly bamboozled by other polls and surveys?

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017

Is it all polling methodology you "refuse to accept" or just this one?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They asked only two thousand people in a country of tens of millions. That's not much of a sample size, though even 1200 of them had no idea how many Jews were killed in the Holocaust is shocking.

*2000 is an extremely large sample size.

If you think 2000 is not "good enough", you don't understand how statistics work

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1200 is an extremely large sample size.

If you think 1200 is not "good enough", you don't understand how statistics work

The sample size is actually greater than 2,000, but we'll say 2,000 as it's likely not far beyond it

The poll of more than 2,000 people was carried out by Opinion Matters for the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust (HMDT).

The survey of over 2,000 people (carried out by Opinion Matters and weighted to be a representative sample of UK adults) was commissioned by the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust - the charity set up by Government to mark Holocaust Memorial Day.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Its 5% of adults, there's only about 50m adults, so only 2.5m loonies on this particular issue.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On topic, in terms of population and believing in stupid crazy shit, 5% denial of the Holocaust actually seems pretty good all things considered. Although it is one of the more hardcore conspiracies, and is directly tied into white nationalism, so it makes sense it's so low.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually a perfectly good sample size as long as they were selected properly. How does someone always manage to make this sort of comment?
Because nobody understands statistics. This is the reason why I feel journalists shouldn't even attempt to print any story based on statistics. They just create more confusion overall, often because they themselves can't read and parse the findings of the scientific papers they report on.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because nobody understands statistics. This is the reason why I feel journalists shouldn't even attempt to print any story based on statistics. They just create more confusion overall, often because they themselves can't read and parse the findings of the scientific papers they report on.

That's a hot take in itself. The goal is to help more people understand statistics in order to improve education and awareness.

I somewhat get what you're saying, but if journalists represent stats correctly/without bias, then it's not on them when the public gets confused or says something stupid. That's on us to help educate people. Some journalists can of course try and do their part a bit by relaying a complex matter with as much layman terms as possible.

Sampling public opinion, George Gallup once said, is like sampling soup: One spoonful can reflect the taste of the whole pot, if the soup is well-stirred. In other words, it's all about finding a sample that reflects the larger population. Polling is based on the laws of probability. According to probability theory, it's not necessary to sample the opinions of all 300 million Americans; a much smaller sample can reflect the larger population—if that sample is truly representative.

That's a great introduction line for people to read. Think about it. If you go make a pot of soup and do it well (the creation of it), stir it and then take a big spoonful, you're happy that is a good indication how the pot tastes? You don't think "this tastes shit, I'll eat the whole thing just in case".

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it all polling methodology you "refuse to accept" or just this one?

It's the wording used with the findings, specifically. It's attributing an opinion to millions of people with no actual way to back up or prove such a statement and people are taking it as fact despite how outlandish it is. How can anyone seriously assume that nearly three and a half million people in the UK don't believe the Holocaust happened with their only supporting evidence being that one hundred people in a survey expressed such an opinion?

If this was a thread about how one hundred British people in a survey of two thousand didn't believe the Holocaust happened, there would be literally nothing to argue about because it would only be stating fact.

Would you accept that there's a 95% probability that between 4.04% and 5.96% of the population deny the holocaust?

I cannot say with certainty how many people in the UK do not belive the Holocaust happened. There could be a hundred and one that believe it didn't or I could be the only person in the whole country that believes it did.

All this survey proves is that, out of two thousand people, one hundred of them don't believe the Holocaust happened. It's when you make the claim that, on the basis of those one hundred people, almost three and a half million British people must also refuse to believe the Holocaust happened that you lose me.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
It's the wording used with the findings, specifically. It's attributing an opinion to millions of people with no actual way to back up or prove such a statement and people are taking it as fact despite how outlandish it is. How can anyone seriously assume that nearly three and a half million people in the UK don't believe the Holocaust happened with their only supporting evidence being that one hundred people in a survey expressed such an opinion?
But they can actually back that up. That's why it's statistics. That's why it's not just asking 2000 random people, but people where you know their demographics so you can extrapolate from that. That's how that stuff works. It's science and the statistical principles behind it are no different than polls before elections, which, in contrast to popular belief, work pretty well most of the time. Or do you reject that election polls work as well?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If this was a thread about how one hundred British people in a survey of two thousand didn't believe the Holocaust happened, there would be literally nothing to argue about because it would only be stating fact.

I cannot say with certainty how many people in the UK do not belive the Holocaust happened. There could be a hundred and one that believe it didn't or I could be the only person in the whole country that believes it did.

All this survey proves is that, out of two thousand people, one hundred of them don't believe the Holocaust happened. It's when you make the claim that, on the basis of those one hundred people, almost three and a half million British people must also refuse to believe the Holocaust happened that you lose me.

The next step in combatting your unwillingness to listen, instead of words, here's a video to watch

Oct 27, 2017
This is both awful and not very surprising.

That being said, this number actually seems low compared to other polls in different countries I've seen in the past.

Maybe if you want to know how many people in the UK don't believe the Holocaust happened, you should ask us all rather than ask a handful of people you grabbed off the street and assume any of them speak for me.

Sorry but I refuse to believe that just because one hundred people out of the two thousand they surveyed was a Holocaust denier, we should throw three and a half million British people under the bus and assume they deny it happened too - because there's no fucking way that many British people can say it didn't happen when we were all taught about the Holocaust in school.
Yeah, no. Saying this makes you about as stupid as the Holocaust deniers.

No, this is where you are losing touch with maths and reality.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't a lot of anti semetisn come from other religious communities? I'd like to assume your average atheist person would not hold these ideas

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

If a carefully chosen sample of that size produces those results, it creates a strong statistical presumption. If you're merely quibbling that the actual number may be a million or so more or less, I don't think this is making a strong case against.

Edit: why are you using apostrophes instead of commas to demark your large numbers? Do you spend a lot of time using a computer in another country?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week) Dismissing concerns over antisemitism and derailing thread over series of posts
Its 5% of adults, there's only about 50m adults, so only 2.5m loonies on this particular issue.

It's still reducing human beings to a statistic on a subject as emotional as the Holocaust. Do those one hundred people that stated they don't believe the Holocaust happened truly represent the rest of us or are they outliers, contrarians and right wing propagandists?

There's literally no way of telling why those one hundred people said they don't believe the Holocaust happened, let alone state without any doubt at all that millions of other British people must share their opinion.

You could probably quite easily get two thousand people together, ask them if Hitler was right, and get way more than a hundred of them saying he was. Do we then state as fact that millions of British people support genocide?

There are some subjects that it's entirely wrong to have a survey about and just assume everyone thinks the same way. The Holocaust is one of them.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's still reducing human beings to a statistic on a subject as emotional as the Holocaust. Do those one hundred people that stated they don't believe the Holocaust happened truly represent the rest of us or are they outliers, contrarians and right wing propagandists?

There's literally no way of telling why those one hundred people said they don't believe the Holocaust happened, let alone state without any doubt at all that millions of other British people must share their opinion.

You could probably quite easily get two thousand people together, ask them if Hitler was right, and get way more than a hundred of them saying he was. Do we then state as fact that millions of British people support genocide?

There are some subjects that it's entirely wrong to have a survey about and just assume everyone thinks the same way. The Holocaust is one of them.

Okay, this must be trolling. But I'll break it down

5% of 50m can indeed reflect outliers, contrarians and anti-semites/racists/right-wing propagandists. It's 5%. Not 95%. 5% is a statistical minority. Overwhelmingly so. Not that that makes it any less disgusting to swallow even 5% denying the Holocaust. You can laugh at 5% thinking the earth is flat, but due to the loss of life in the Holocaust, it's harder to find it funny when people deny it.

Assuming we consider an adult to be 18 years old or more, and that the 15-19 group is evenly distributed in age, that means there are: 62.3 - 14.8 + (4 * 2 / 5) = 49.1 million adults in the UK as of 2010.

2.5m adults out of 50m adults are assholes/conspiracy theorists around the Holocaust.

Those who deny may have different bullshit thinking for denying? How is that a surprise? The fact that is shocking is that they deny historical fact, not really what stupid reasoning they have for doing so.

Depends on how the sample of 2,000 were picked. That's the thing everyone in here is educating you on. How samples are picked. You don't go to the KKK meeting and pick 1,000 KKK members and ask them do you support Hitler? You would pick a representative random sample of the population of the UK.

Facts and stats don't care about your subjective opinion on what we should do research on. As one of the most horrific and notable moments in our history, we want to know how well-educated people are on it/what people think about it.

Last edited:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

They literally asked randoms. If you somehow believe that at random and over a 2000 person sample they managed to get a statistically larger than average collection of nutjobs, I can't help you any further. This isn't like they popped into a Greggs in Leeds and just asked the first 10 people they met.

Good day to your sir, I'm done.

Oct 27, 2017
If those 2000 people are a statistically representative sample of the British population, then... yes?
You're reacting with extremely irrational emotion and melodrama but that doesn't mean the numbers are wrong. You want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that these millions of people don't exist, when they very likely do. Do you think combatting prejudice and ignorance begins by pretending that this type of person doesn't exist?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
5aHkasU.png

Depending on how knowledgeable you are on the numbers it's not unsurprising some people underestimate/overestimate (without malice). The overall number is higher than just the Jewish people killed and the individual breakdown contains many different numbers.

I knew the total was around 18 million, but it's been awhile since I saw the exact break down. It's a heart breaking number and I wonder if some deniers do so because they can't even comprehend such a large number of deaths.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how the sample of 2,000 were picked. That's the thing everyone in here is educating you on. How samples are picked. You don't go to the KKK meeting and pick 1,000 KKK members and ask them do you support Hitler? You would pick a representative random sample of the population of the UK.

So that's a yes. If you had a survey asking people if they supported genocide and a very small number of them did, you would extrapolate that millions of other people must also support genocide.

This isn't like asking people to look at a colour and tell you if it's green or yellow.

Facts and stats don't care about your subjective opinion on what we should do research on. As one of the most horrific and notable moments in our history, we want to know how well-educated people are on it.

Congratulations, you found roughly one hundred people who are either not especially well-educated or are intentionally and consciously refusing to accept the Holocaust happened for whatever personal reasons they have.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So that's a yes. If you had a survey asking people if they supported genocide and a very small number of them did, you would extrapolate that millions of other people must also support genocide.

This isn't like asking people to look at a colour and tell you if it's green or yellow.

Congratulations, you found roughly one hundred people who are either not especially well-educated or are intentionally and consciously refusing to accept the Holocaust happened for whatever personal reasons they have.

Congratulations you don't understand how stats work and even with people helping you politely to start with, your resistance in the face of good faith conversation in response to you still results in really stupid replies.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017

What is your background/ education in statistics, because you're doubling down on this really hard and I'm curious if you actually have any reason to do so.

Do you actually have a substantial, real reason to disregard these statistics? Or are you just plugging your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes and shouting until people stop talking about this issue?

Oct 28, 2017
Not as bad as I would have expected. There's the uneducated and there's those who simply hate Jews. I saw this comment below one article:

"It was PLANNED in 1913/14 ....the ZIONISTS planned this holocaust of the Jewish ppl in order to obtain Palestine as their homeland. Plz do your research its not that difficult to join the dots."

It wasn't that long ago that you could find copies of Mein Kampf in convenience stores in parts of London. Might still be the case.

Oct 27, 2017
The sad thing is one of my recent professors who was a hardcore Metallica fan (which I respect) tattoos, earrings etc... Believed it was exaggerated and that the Berlins were responsible for most of the deaths...literally had to stay after to talk and understand what he was trying to say or report him to Staff

These kind of people intentionally choose to believe in mindless conspiracy theories like the non-existence of Holocaust, chemtrails or whatever the fuck. That's the scary part: this percentage of people can see the stats and facts but are unable to process them because they contradict their horrible views.

Bingo.