• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
deadline.com

Nintendo Docuseries From Screen Media Ventures Gets Crackle Premiere Slot

Crackle has set March 1 as the world premiere date for 5-part documentary series Playing with Power: The Nintendo Story.
Crackle has set March 1 as the world premiere date for five-part documentary series Playing with Power: The Nintendo Story.

The show is written and directed by Jeremy Snead and executive produced (and narrated) by Sean Astin. World rights were acquired by Screen Media Ventures, the exclusive supplier of original programming to free, ad-supported Crackle.
Playing with Power tells the sprawling story of Nintendo, the secretive Japanese company whose origins date to the 19th century. It features interviews with Wil Wheaton; Alison Haislip; Nintendo of America co-founder Ron Judy; Atari co-founder Nolan Bushnell; former Sega of America CEO Tom Kalinske; former Nintendo CEO Reggie Fils-Aimé; and head of Xbox Phil Spencer.
Snead has explored the world of gaming in previous projects like feature documentary Video Games: The Movie and docuseries Unlocked: The World of Games, Revealed. Astin, known for acting roles in The Lord of The Rings, Rudy and The Goonies, connected with Snead via a mutual admiration for videogame history, culture and lore. They have had a nine-year producing partnership focused on gaming content.

"Producing and directing Playing with Power has been a lifelong ambition of mine as an artist, gamer and filmmaker," Snead said. "To see my show not only come to life with such loving care through my team and I's efforts but to also have the opportunity to partner with such a talented and experienced team like Screen Media and Crackle to release the series to the public has just been a dream come true."

Astin said tackling the century-plus of Nintendo history was "an ambitious goal," but "little by little, over four years, the series really came together. I think we've created a five-episode journey that will open up the world of video games and this legendary company in a way that most people have never seen."

Philippe Guelton, president of Crackle Plus, called the series "the perfect blend of fun and fascinating history that our audience really responds to."

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I hope this is good. Like, really good. I want at least one entire episode that deals with them before gaming.

Ideally it'd be something like:

Episode 1: Before Gaming
Episode 2: NES
Episode 3: SNES
Episode 4: N64/GCN
Episode 5: Wii/Wii U/Switch

Maybe Episode 3 could go in depth on Game Boy too? And presumably 3 or 4 would have to go into Pokemon. Honestly, I'm not sure what big historical stuff happened with the GCN and Wii U, even though I like both systems, to justify spending a lot of time there. It doesn't seem like the damage from the Wii U had any lasting effect.

A little concerned it doesn't say they're interviewing anyone who's Japanese? Unless I missed it.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Isn't Crackle the streaming service part-owned by Sony?

Also, I knew I always liked Sean Astin.

But yeah, if anyone at Japan isn't involved, this might be pretty awkward. Miyamoto's absence will especially be felt.

I do hope a huge emphasis is put on the career of Gunpei Yokoi. He basically created Nintendo as we know them today.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

But yeah, if anyone at Japan isn't involved, this might be pretty awkward. Miyamoto's absence will especially be felt.

I do hope a huge emphasis is put on the career of Gunpei Yokoi. He basically created Nintendo as we know them today.

There were definitely some Japanese Nintendo employees interviewed on that Netflix videogame documentary, so I'm just hoping they're not listed here due to lack of name recognition (I imagine they did not get Miyamoto).

If this isn't good, maybe the team that make The Imagineering Story for Disney+ needs some work, because that's the sort of thing I'd want for a Nintendo doc.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania

Yeah Yokoi always deserves more love, he made some of my favorite games and systems like metroid 1-3 and the Gameboy

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Yokoi always deserves more love, he made some of my favorite games and systems like metroid 1-3 and the Gameboy

I don't think he really had much input of metroid 3 by the way, that was Sakamoto & Kano(metroid co-creator) iirc.
Yokoi is super important for Nintendo & the industry though, especially for Game & Watch and as you mentioned the Gameboy.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Interesting to see but that list of interview subjects worries me. Kalinske, Bushnell, Fils-Aime are alll solid guests but why do we get Wil Wheaton in everything vaguely connected to nerds?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that Sony as a company more or less lets its individual components operate independently, so while SIE and Nintendo are competitors, another division of the company is happy to collaborate with Nintendo if there's money in it. For example, Tiny Metal is published by Sony Music on the Switch.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the meantime I highly recommend people watch Console Wars on CBS All Access. Or read the book, which is great.

It's more SEGA focused than Nintendo, and you get some great insight into the inner workings of both companies. Riveting audiobook, tbh.