• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I need word that the Slay the Spire dev is expanding and working on a sequel pronto.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Western AAA studio are falling since when?
Three Kingdoms is one of the best Total War titles, DOOM Eternal, SW Jedi Fallen Order and Borderlands 3 are coming in the 2nd half and they all look extremely good.
Do i need to remind you about God of War, RDR 2, Titanfall 2, Spider-Man, Forza Horizon 4, Odyssey, TW3, Dying Light and more titles?

This whole Japan vs West war is so tiring and pathetic at best, every year we have the usual: "AAA WESTERN DEVS ARE DEAD, THEY DON'T MAKE GOOD GAMES ANYMORE" or "JAPANESE AAA TITLES ARE STILL YEARS BEHIND THE WESTERN ONES" etc...
This. Western and Japanese games are just on a "tick, tock" schedule right now. Both are fine and doing well.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
They're working on a fourth character at the moment, so I think they plan to support Slay the Spire for at least a while longer.
Oh, I didn't know that. I'll take it. I wish they'd tweak ascensions. They just aren't fun to me. Nothing but hindrances and lowering chances of possible wins.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
And it is not going to stop.
What? It's already "stopped" and started again several times in the past few years.

Just last year, the five games that were awarded GotY most often were God of War, Red Dead 2, Spider-Man, Celeste, and Return of the Obra Dinn - all of them Western. This year, the pendulum is swinging back the other way and we're seeing a ton of great Japanese games. But don't pretend Japan had a streak, or that it will necessarily continue. Everyone gets their time in the sun, and quite frankly it's kind of silly to root for either "side" in the first place. Good games are good games.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me Japan development is/was always king.
Love west indie though, they take a lot of Japan dev cues

Oct 27, 2017
Real talk though, it's not just Japan making great games, it's everyone. There's never been a better time for games than now.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Love the return of Japan as the western bro and brown aesthetic from last gen was boring and still is whe you see it slathered all over current gen western AAA.

Square Enix and Capcom are my MVPs this gen

I want to exclude Nintendo here as they are a platform holder but their games and the Switch are certainly killing it.
You see bro shooters and brown games from western in current gen????????????? What

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Nice. I think the list will be super interesting by year end. I expect to see Borderlands 3 and DOOM Eternal for Western games and Death Stranding + Astral Chain up there for Japanese games. I don't really like doing the whole West vs East thing, especially considering 2020 seems to be where big Western developers like Naughty Dog, CD Projekt Red (?), 343 Industries, Crystal Dynamics and Ubisoft Toronto are releasing flagship titles. It's a good time for games overall.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It is cliche to do the whole west vs Japan thing and all that sports team shit but I think it is valuable/interesting to see how differently things are done in both sides of the industry and what could improve for both development philosophies.
So there is value in a conversation about how different Japan does things to the west but if you are just team Japan or team west than the conversation goes nowhere.

I agree, both Japanese and non-Japanese developers have been taking cues from one another for a long time now, and when it works well you get great games that satisfy many audiences at once. Creativity is not determined by geography.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest there hasn't been hardly any Western games that have interested me in ages.
I really can't remember the last one.

It might of been Spider-man. But that was ages ago now.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I agree, both Japanese and non-Japanese developers have been taking cues from one another for a long time now, and when it works well you get great games that satisfy many audiences at once. Creativity is not determined by geography.
But I do think its inarguable that Japan and the west does things very differently in terms of business strategy and game design. Its not about where they are from its about how the culture and people around developers affects how they make games.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
But I do think its inarguable that Japan and the west does things very differently in terms of business strategy and game design. Its not about where they are from its about how the culture and people around developers affects how they make games.

I guess I'm just not convinced that one can easily divide the business strategies of the world into "Japan" and "Not-Japan" once you step outside of the AAA sphere into mid-budget and indie studios, which is where most of my attention is these days.

I'll give you the point on game design though. Some genres are certainly more prevalent coming from Japan than other countries and vice-versa, which is partly platform driven. I primarily play on PC and it's taken a while for some of the bigger Japanese publishers to commit more to the platform. Sega's been pushing a for that a lot lately which I'm grateful for.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
How many times will you let me call Western games 'foreign games' before you had to say something? Let's find out.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Western publishers have completely lost their way; pretty much every game they release nowadays is a half-baked product with a roadmap of supreme GaaS promises. No wonder the Japanese are winning by default.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I like seeing years like these, it's really nice since I love Japanese games. I also fully expect Fire Emblem to be put onto this list (and maybe Astral Chain too?).

for indies i'm almost all west
for non-indies i'm almost all japan developed
This is basically me as well. Many indie devs take cues from Japanese games, which I think is great.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Western publishers have completely lost their way; pretty much every game they release nowadays is a half-baked product with a roadmap of supreme GaaS promises. No wonder the Japanese are winning by default.
Yes, rockstar, cdpr, naughty dog, insomniac, Sony Santa Monica are losing their way and taking the L.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
What? It's already "stopped" and started again several times in the past few years.

Just last year, the five games that were awarded GotY most often were God of War, Red Dead 2, Spider-Man, Celeste, and Return of the Obra Dinn - all of them Western. This year, the pendulum is swinging back the other way and we're seeing a ton of great Japanese games. But don't pretend Japan had a streak, or that it will necessarily continue. Everyone gets their time in the sun, and quite frankly it's kind of silly to root for either "side" in the first place. Good games are good games.
I am just talking about this year.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sorry for the bump, just noticed that fire emblem has gotten into the top 6 of the year (top 5 if you don't count nier automata goaty)

screenshot2019-08-10a6dk65.png

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Looking forward to Iceborne joining the ranks next month.

Gonna be wild having 3 Capcom games in the top scores.

This is an expensive year.

EDIT: would be nice if Teppen also had reviews lol

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It does feel like that outside of Sony games the west is in a creative rut right now.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It does feel like that outside of Sony games the west is in a creative rut right now.
oh yes, def. Witcher, Hitman, Dishonored, Prey, RDR, , life is strange , wolfenstein, divinity, hollow knight, hellblade. It is very clear that outside of Sony output Western devs are in a creative rut.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
oh yes, def. Witcher, Hitman, Dishonored, Prey, RDR, , life is strange , wolfenstein, divinity, hollow knight, hellblade. It is very clear that outside of Sony output Western devs are in a creative rut.

Not one of those games are from this year, and the closest one to this conversation is RDR which is divisive to say the least. I mean Witcher 3 came out 4 years ago.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Not one of those games are from this year, and the closest one to this conversation is RDR which is divisive to say the least. I mean Witcher 3 came out 4 years ago.

Dark Souls came out 8 years ago but god forbid we go a day without hearing about that fifteen times an hour.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Fortunately great games are being made all over the globe but gaming forums are such a sad place that even the country where a game is made can serve as pretext for fanboy wars. It's amazing.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
And this is not over yet, Japan is on a renaissance of some sort, finally after such a depressing decade (with some exceptions)

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem, MHW Iceborn and Death Stranding should be fine additions to this year as well.

I demand Phil Fish returns to the fold to apologise for his words and deeds

Edit: beaten by seconds
Ahh Phil Fish's outburst has aged well...

Phil Fish was right when he made that comment, last gen was a dark time for Nipponese games.

Resurgence?

Square, Capcom, Nintendo and From Software have always been great, I wouldn't conflate their continued success with everyone else.
Not one of them was great last gen, Square and Capcom made mediocre games, barely anyone heard about From before Dark Souls, and Nintendo was very risk averse last gen.