• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking to buy a full power station to do proper pull-ups and other exercises. Planning to put it in my backyard over the Summer so I can do pullups every day and get a tan in the process. :D

Are they easy to take apart? When Winter comes around I want to be able to easily take it apart and store it in my garage, if needed. For an example of the one I'm looking at: LINK

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking to buy a full power station to do proper pull-ups and other exercises. Planning to put it in my backyard over the Summer so I can do pullups every day and get a tan in the process. :D

Are they easy to take apart? When Winter comes around I want to be able to easily take it apart and store it in my garage, if needed. For an example of the one I'm looking at: LINK
It looks like it'd be very easy to disassemble somewhat - the top is adjustable in height, and probably is therefore removable completely with a couple of pins. Chances are it all comes flat packed and connects together with regular nuts and bolts. You can see in this pics how the feet/base is bolted together. And even if not, this is only 28kg you could probably just pick it up and move it to the garage.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
stn

If it's like mine then yeah, should be easy enough. You can see where all the bolts are there, though it may be easier to just walk it into your garage as is. As mentioned above, it'll arrive to you in a flat pack.

I highly recommend the one I got. No comment on the one you linked, but if you compare to this one, there are multiple advantages to this one:

- The dips bars are larger and go in to three different heights. You can also do partial bodyweight pullups on the dip bars by pulling up from laying on the ground, if needed to work up to doing proper pullups.
- You can do crunches with the bottom pads, or nordic ham curls.
- Multiple different grips for pullups/chinups.

The price fluctuates based on supply. I got mine for less. It's sturdy as hell, no wobble at all, and that's without using the option of nailing the corners into the floor.

71t4kz04DlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
Hey thread!

Didn't know this existed and it might have helped me a lot over the last year. Before the pandemic I was always a really tall and skinny guy and once it hit, I got bored at home and started doing some yoga. That got me from not being able to touch my touch to being able to bring my head between my knees in a few months. Since it turns out I enjoyed moving so much, I actually started doing the recommended routine on the bodyweightfitness Reddit over the summer and then eventually even started running a few times a week. Even got a trainer in September because I don't understand what to do at gyms (we have a private one in my building that we can reserve and be alone in, so its been great during COVID).

Overall, I'm 6'2 and went from 145lbs to 175lbs. I'm currently in the process of trying to get more lean because I want all my abs to show and I've never had more than a 4-pack. Since I'm doing the lean thing, I'm at 165lbs now and doing a mostly fat/protein diet with minimal carbs. My trainer told me to stop doing cardio because it probably wasn't helping me lose bodyfat like I thought and stopping did seem help me get to this 165lbs point.

This brings me to my questions... I was running 5k every other day before and I got to a 4:45min/km time, but I do still want to run a bit because I don't want to lose that progress completely. Does it make sense that he told me to stop doing this? If it does, is there anything kind of cardio I CAN do that would help with fat loss?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
jetscanfly Why is the trainer saying cardio isn't helping you lose fat? A calorie deficit results in weight loss, and cardio is a great way to get that deficit. Is it possible you were eating back more calories than the cardio was burning?

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
jetscanfly Why is the trainer saying cardio isn't helping you lose fat? A calorie deficit results in weight loss, and cardio is a great way to get that deficit. Is it possible you were eating back more calories than the cardio was burning?
It's possible that's what he was saying. He wants me to get to a body fat level I want and then just gain lean muscle. I'm with him on this because I want to avoid "bulking" in any way honestly.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Hey so I started weight lifting again this month after a year and half break. I've been doing pretty good and have gained two pounds in a month allready, but I did start as a 6' male that weighed 140 😂 Pretty easy to gain weight when your that skinny but I'm proud of it!

Anyway I want a nice ass!! It's flat as fuck and I want to get that softball ass where when I walk somewhere people will look at it and go damn!!! Anyway is the hip thrust really the best way for this. It just looks so lame but if it's what I got to do then I'll do it haha.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I started weight lifting again this month after a year and half break. I've been doing pretty good and have gained two pounds in a month allready, but I did start as a 6' male that weighed 140 😂 Pretty easy to gain weight when your that skinny but I'm proud of it!

Anyway I want a nice ass!! It's flat as fuck and I want to get that softball ass where when I walk somewhere people will look at it and go damn!!! Anyway is the hip thrust really the best way for this. It just looks so lame but if it's what I got to do then I'll do it haha.

That plus other compound movements that also involve the glutes, like lunges and bulgarian split squats.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
My belly can't make it's mind up. Lost weight but the fat that's there is jigglier. Then there's often bloat too just to complicate things, maybe lose skin is a factor too. So on a good day at the right angle my abs are looking good. On a bad day I look in worse shape than ever.

Hope it settles down soon but somehow I don't think a return to pubs is exactly going to help.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I recently realized that ive avoided bread completely in vain. With the right type you can get much more favorable macros than with rice, and because it comes pre-sliced, portion control becomes much easier. My current favorite has around 13g of protein and 240kcal per 100 grams. Decent amount of fibre and whole-grain too. 4 slices is roughly 120g which is what i usually go for, which is roughly 15g of protein, so almost half the battle is won there already. The rest is just about finding an aditional 15-20 grams of protein in through toppings, which is very easy.

Recently ive been doing mostly grilled cheese sandwiches with low fat cheese (10-17%) which is often 30g+ of protein per 100g, so you just need a total of 60-65g of that on top of the bread to hit that magical 35g of protein /meal number. Add some stevia ketchup and jalapenos inside, put in the oven for 5 minutes to avoid using pan+butter, and you got yourself what feels like a cheat meal but isnt, since it comes out at roughly 550-600 kcal. Side salad works well with it too.

Oct 25, 2017
My belly can't make it's mind up. Lost weight but the fat that's there is jigglier. Then there's often bloat too just to complicate things, maybe lose skin is a factor too. So on a good day at the right angle my abs are looking good. On a bad day I look in worse shape than ever.

Hope it settles down soon but somehow I don't think a return to pubs is exactly going to help.

I feel you. I am taking a bit of a break during the weekends and just kinda enjoying different kind of foods so I feel good and look sharp... some of the time lol

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
stn

If it's like mine then yeah, should be easy enough. You can see where all the bolts are there, though it may be easier to just walk it into your garage as is. As mentioned above, it'll arrive to you in a flat pack.

I highly recommend the one I got. No comment on the one you linked, but if you compare to this one, there are multiple advantages to this one:

- The dips bars are larger and go in to three different heights. You can also do partial bodyweight pullups on the dip bars by pulling up from laying on the ground, if needed to work up to doing proper pullups.
- You can do crunches with the bottom pads, or nordic ham curls.
- Multiple different grips for pullups/chinups.

The price fluctuates based on supply. I got mine for less. It's sturdy as hell, no wobble at all, and that's without using the option of nailing the corners into the floor.
I'd recommend getting gymnastic rings, way cheaper, takes less space, more versatile, more fun. Rings cost like €25, maybe you'd need to spend additional €20 on stuff to mount them on the ceiling. If you still feel like you need such a power tower after several weeks or months with the rings, then go for it (it's certainly safer for weighted dips or pull ups).

I don't like the pull-up bar here. It's very limiting as far as the pull-up variations go.Though that setup for nordic curls is nifty.

If you had a ton of intestinal fat, chances are that not only your skin but also your abdominal muscles are loose since the fat was literally stretching the muscles out. You just got to stay the course and eventually things will improve.

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
Man I messed around doing a single body part for fun-chest, and maaaaaaan how do some of you guys do it? I did heavy flat bench first, and going to incline DB chest press my chest was already burned out to go heavy.

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about a new gym membership. Pre pandemic, I had an LA Fitness membership. But my new apartment isn't in Burbank. Anyone use(or used) 24hr Fitness. I like the idea of having a membership that work at multiple locations. Or maybe I should at least try a noncorporate gym.

EQLibriM

Oct 27, 2017
ho ly shit
i have finally been able to go to the gym again after multiple months of lockdown
it was awesome and have come to the realisation

that i suck: from 120lbs bench back to 70, from 180lbs squat back to 80

but hell yeah does it feel good to be back

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
My dad is 63 and has to take testosterone blockers as part of his cancer treatment, thankfully the cancer is either gone or mostly gone but he has to stay on the blockers.

Unfortunately its really taking a toll, he cant mow anymore and if hes on his feet for a while it really wipes him out. Does anyone have any advise on how to deal with low testosterone?

StrikeJP

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone have any advice on breaking through a weight loss plateau? Been stuck for a month and starting to get a little frustrated.

I can't really cut my calories further. I could perhaps change up my workouts to be a little less repetitive. Does drinking more water help? Or will I just magically breakthrough one day if I keep doing what I'm doing?

Just spitballing my ideas and looking for some help, thanks!

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any advice on breaking through a weight loss plateau? Been stuck for a month and starting to get a little frustrated.

I can't really cut my calories further. I could perhaps change up my workouts to be a little less repetitive. Does drinking more water help? Or will I just magically breakthrough one day if I keep doing what I'm doing?

Just spitballing my ideas and looking for some help, thanks!
You will have to cut your calories further, or increase your expenditure (more workouts). If you're staying the same weight for a month, that means you are currently eating at maintenance calories.

It's never a bad idea to drink plenty of water, though the only way it can help with weight loss is in helping you feel full or displacing caloric drinks. A magical breakthrough won't happen - calories in < calories out, that's how it has to be I'm afraid!

Hard to say anything other than the above generic truths without details.

Oct 25, 2017
StrikeJP

Yes, seemingly magical breakthroughs can happen. They are not magical, but sometimes you retain a lot of water after fat loss which can make it seem like you have made no progress. And then your body flushes out the excess water and you'll see the scale move again, sometimes a big jump after a long stall. This is why short term plateaus are not only common but pretty much expected, and weight loss is not a steady drop but one of many hills and valleys. 1 month is starting to get to the point where you may want to re-evaluate your plan but its not a cause of grave concern.

You are likely NOT suddenly eating at caloric maintenance, especially if you were already at a 20% deficit or greater. Cutting harder could be the wrong move. It may help to displace some fat or carbs with protein. It may help to simply be more careful with your measurements on your food, assuming you already measure all your food. Sometimes a diet break is a powerful tool, just increase your caloric intake by some 30% for like a week. I remember doing that once and things started to move smoothly. After that I had one day a week where I would have a little bit extra for one meal. These are some of the things I can remember off the top of my head when dealing with stalls.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like even deadlifting 3 plates is too heavy for me since I can't consistently do even 5 reps and now hurt my back after my form gave out at the end. I've been trying to get back up to 4 plates after my injury years ago but clearly I have to take it even slower than I have been. Sometimes I can do 315, sometimes 365. It's so inconsistent. Now I'm injured and will probably have to take a week off. Injuries are so discouraging. Does anyone have any experience using yoga to relieve back pain? My friend keeps trying to get me to do it, but I hate yoga. Considering I just hurt my back a bit, maybe it's about time I try it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It seems like even deadlifting 3 plates is too heavy for me since I can't consistently do even 5 reps and now hurt my back after my form gave out at the end. I've been trying to get back up to 4 plates after my injury years ago but clearly I have to take it even slower than I have been. Sometimes I can do 315, sometimes 365. It's so inconsistent. Now I'm injured and will probably have to take a week off. Injuries are so discouraging. Does anyone have any experience using yoga to relieve back pain? My friend keeps trying to get me to do it, but I hate yoga. Considering I just hurt my back a bit, maybe it's about time I try it.
Do you really have to do deadlifts? If injuries are a concern then there's options like seal row, pull-ups, etc.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I guess not but I just enjoy them. My leg days became so goddamn boring when I stopped doing squats and deadlifts.
Yeah, understandable. Have you ever tried Bulgarian split squats? That should be a good substitute for back squats for you. I'd suggest doing reverse hypers too to strengthen the lower back area. The bird dog yoga is good for that too.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, understandable. Have you ever tried Bulgarian split squats? That should be a good substitute for back squats for you. I'd suggest doing reverse hypers too to strengthen the lower back area. The bird dog yoga is good for that too.
I used to do bulgarian and it suuuucked lol. But if I gotta replace squats then I'll do it. I should stop slacking on hip thrusts too.

Mar 3, 2018
Had a question whether any of yall have tried to lose weight/cut with intermittent fasting and without and noticed a big difference?

To summarize; I used to be pretty lean at 130lbs. I had an unlucky accident and hurt my leg and back. Went through physio and got kinda depressed coz I couldn't do stuff as much and basically gained weight and ballooned to 240-250lbs. I started intermittent fasting around New Years' this year and am currently 195lbs, and I know by next year ill be back to my old weight so I am pretty happy. Problem is, I was recently told I have chronic gastritis and fasting isn't recommending as it builds up acid in my stomach. I am somewhat nervous about going back to "regular" eating and not intermittent fasting anymore, as I'm concerned I won't lose weight as efficiently. Am I just being paranoid? I know ultimately it's calories in vs calories out....but for some reason, I feel like fasting until 2pm every day really boosts my weight loss.

Anyway, would appreciate some insight and advice. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Oct 25, 2017
Had a question whether any of yall have tried to lose weight/cut with intermittent fasting and without and noticed a big difference?

To summarize; I used to be pretty lean at 130lbs. I had an unlucky accident and hurt my leg and back. Went through physio and got kinda depressed coz I couldn't do stuff as much and basically gained weight and ballooned to 240-250lbs. I started intermittent fasting around New Years' this year and am currently 195lbs, and I know by next year ill be back to my old weight so I am pretty happy. Problem is, I was recently told I have chronic gastritis and fasting isn't recommending as it builds up acid in my stomach. I am somewhat nervous about going back to "regular" eating and not intermittent fasting anymore, as I'm concerned I won't lose weight as efficiently. Am I just being paranoid? I know ultimately it's calories in vs calories out....but for some reason, I feel like fasting until 2pm every day really boosts my weight loss.

Anyway, would appreciate some insight and advice. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

There are some fat loss benefits to fasting but the largest is helping maintain a caloric deficit. So weight loss without it is very doable. Fasting mimics some of the benefits of ketosis. Have you considered trying a ketogenic diet? If not, I suggest checking out r/keto FAQs page to see if it is something that might work for you. Fasting and keto definitely not required for weight loss, but each can be very effective strategies.

Mar 3, 2018
There are some fat loss benefits to fasting but the largest is helping maintain a caloric deficit. So weight loss without it is very doable. Fasting mimics some of the benefits of ketosis. Have you considered trying a ketogenic diet? If not, I suggest checking out r/keto FAQs page to see if it is something that might work for you. Fasting and keto definitely not required for weight loss, but each can be very effective strategies.

Did not think about keto, thank you. This would actually make sense. Will look into it. Thank you!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I did 20 hour IF for about a year, its great for weight loss but whenever it came time to build muscle i went back to normal eating habits and didn't need IF to get back to my baseline weight because as you said, the calories/macros are far more important than when you're eating.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Liquid Plejades The article I linked below about IF is interesting. Like you said, it ultimately comes down to calories in vs out. It does seem like IF has some other health benefits, with the caveat that it may be harder for people to sustain, and any diet you can't sustain isn't going to work well. You didn't say what time your eating window ended, and it sounds like you might be better off with the starting time being earlier to better match the circadian rhythm. It's also arguably better to spread out your protein more than a narrow eating window offers, which is going to be important for preserving muscle while losing weight.

Mar 3, 2018
Thanks for the replies everyone, will look into those and try keto.

also, any of y'all use fitness trackers and smart watches?

I'm someone who needs motivation and accountability so I have an Apple Watch. But I am using a Whoop band on a one month trial and I gotta say, 25 days in I'm impressed. It has been very consistent in HR with my Apple Watch, and has really helped me change my sleep habit and so on.
Still not sure if I'll keep ti though long term after the trial. Biggest drawback is how expensive it is…$$30 a month…phew but it's much cheaper than a gym membership and has helped me already get better sleep and good days so who knows.. hmm

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the replies everyone, will look into those and try keto.

also, any of y'all use fitness trackers and smart watches?

I'm someone who needs motivation and accountability so I have an Apple Watch. But I am using a Whoop band on a one month trial and I gotta say, 25 days in I'm impressed. It has been very consistent in HR with my Apple Watch, and has really helped me change my sleep habit and so on.
Still not sure if I'll keep ti though long term after the trial. Biggest drawback is how expensive it is…$$30 a month…phew but it's much cheaper than a gym membership and has helped me already get better sleep and good days so who knows.. hmm

I dunno what a whoop band is but I pay less than 30 a month for my gym lol

edit:
Oh yeah 30 dollars for some metrics seems really expensive.

Oct 27, 2017
See a doctor IMMEDIATELY.
I should say that shortly after I posted, something did happen but it wasn't what it should be. I bought an over the counter constipation remedy and I'm going to try that. And see where I'm at tomorrow.
My abdomen doesn't hurt anymore. Just the math of 48 hours between two fairly small poop that irks me.

Anyway, sorry for the poop talk in the swoll talk thread.

Oct 25, 2017
I should say that shortly after I posted, something did happen but it wasn't what it should be. I bought an over the counter constipation remedy and I'm going to try that. And see where I'm at tomorrow.
My abdomen doesn't hurt anymore. Just the math of 48 hours between two fairly small poop that irks me.

Anyway, sorry for the poop talk in the swoll talk thread.

Take some vitamin c, drink some water but don't overdo it, and make sure you have enough salt intake and perhaps a tad more than usual. Don't bother with fiber, at least not any more or less than usual.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here have experience with pistol squats? I decided on a new goal to try and perform them and i've got a long way to go. 30 minute warmup with extensive ankle mobility/stretching drills and i still need significant band support to keep my balance. I'm not sure if my mobility, strength, or flexibility is the issue, or if Pistol squats are something that certain people just can't do even if they train for it.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
So I have a few bodyweight exercises that I do 3 times a week but I've noticed something with my push-ups lately.

I can usually do upto 25 pushups before I just can't push myself up anymore. Now the thing I'm curious about is that I've been at this 25 plateau for a while now and the other exercises I do I eventually do 1 or 2 more repetitions than the most I did last time so there's always improvement. The key thing I'm noticing is that whenever I lower myself self down to the floor for a pushup, after like the 20th rep my arms just start shaking and feel like they're gonna give away. But what's weird is that since I do sets of 10 reps, I have no issue pushing myself back up after the 20th rep. Obviously it gets harder and harder after each rep but I'm just curious if that can indicate that there's a particular muscle/muscle group that's weaker than the rest.

I don't think it's my chest because I do 3 sets of 10 bench press dips and while it's not exactly the easiest by the end, I can still pull it off. I also don't THINK it's my core because I've done a lot of work on an elliptical without using my arms and also do 25 Frozen V-sits which has helped my core immensely.

I do think that it's my shoulders or the muscle most closely connected to my shoulders. Worth mentioning btw that I'm male at 82kg (180 lbs) at 172 cm(5'8) so I am still overweight. Do you guys think that I should just continue with the pushups or maybe add an additional exercise to target my "weak points"?

Oct 25, 2017
So I have a few bodyweight exercises that I do 3 times a week but I've noticed something with my push-ups lately.

I can usually do upto 25 pushups before I just can't push myself up anymore. Now the thing I'm curious about is that I've been at this 25 plateau for a while now and the other exercises I do I eventually do 1 or 2 more repetitions than the most I did last time so there's always improvement. The key thing I'm noticing is that whenever I lower myself self down to the floor for a pushup, after like the 20th rep my arms just start shaking and feel like they're gonna give away. But what's weird is that since I do sets of 10 reps, I have no issue pushing myself back up after the 20th rep. Obviously it gets harder and harder after each rep but I'm just curious if that can indicate that there's a particular muscle/muscle group that's weaker than the rest.

I don't think it's my chest because I do 3 sets of 10 bench press dips and while it's not exactly the easiest by the end, I can still pull it off. I also don't THINK it's my core because I've done a lot of work on an elliptical without using my arms and also do 25 Frozen V-sits which has helped my core immensely.

I do think that it's my shoulders or the muscle most closely connected to my shoulders. Worth mentioning btw that I'm male at 82kg (180 lbs) at 172 cm(5'8) so I am still overweight. Do you guys think that I should just continue with the pushups or maybe add an additional exercise to target my "weak points"?

You might be overthinking this one. If your arms are giving out, why would the weak point be your core - for example.

You could try a variety of progressions paths besides adding more reps. If you can, safely add weight. Or do a harder variation of the push up... like with legs raised or diamond or a pseudoplanche push up.