• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
With Texas absolutely fucked by Corona, I've given up on going to the gym for a long time. I've been making do with some sit-ups and a kettlebell but I'm looking to expand my gear. What are some good items to pick up?

I'm thinking some light dumbbells, maybe one of those inflatable balls you sit on so I can keep doing something while I work from home. Anything else you recommend?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can do almost everything with muscle bands. Lat pull downs. Curls. Squats. Dead lift. Face pull. Tricep push downs. Bench press. Etc. You can also use the bands for assistance, like a pull up bar, for example. If you feel the heaviest band is not enough then double up with another band.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Do whatever you'll do. For real. Sounds like you've got a little routine going on. Are you happy with the results? Are you working out the areas you want to work out? What are your goals? Ect.

It sounds like you're trying to bulk up. Grab some weights and resistance bands and grip strength.
But whatever you do, add to your routine. And be realistic about your diet and time commitments
Good luck!

ShOcKwAvE

Oct 27, 2017
Carlsbad, CA
Resistance bands are pretty good for a lot of exercises and don't take up much space. I got a kit with five different bands, hand grips and some other attachments.

I want a standard barbell with weights though...I really miss deadlifting. Ideally I would also get a "power tower" for pullups, dips etc. Space is the real issue.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
For stretches and stuff I would recommend getting a yoga band (Probably not as strong as a muscle band) and some foam blocks. It won't increase your strength but it can help with flexibility exercises which will compliment your fitness routine.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Really depends on what you want to do/how serious you are, but some adjustable dumbbells are pretty versatile.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I bought a hip band, Flex Deck, and pair of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells. Basically a complete home gym for under $400 with a small footprint.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I got a bench and some dumbells (A set from Costco that came with 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30lb dumbells) back in January before this all went down. Since about May though, I've just wanted to get out of my house and outside as much as I can, so I feel like I've kind of neglected my whole home gym setup, but I'll get back too it in the Fall when it's too cold to be going out for runs or long bike rides.

Karamsoul

Oct 27, 2017
Get a functional trainer home gym if you can afford it. Does every body part. I bought an X Mark functional trainer and it's been amazing. Cancelled my gym membership entirely because of it.

OP
OP
Mr Paptimus

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
You can do almost everything with muscle bands. Lat pull downs. Curls. Squats. Dead lift. Face pull. Tricep push downs. Bench press. Etc. You can also use the bands for assistance, like a pull up bar, for example. If you feel the heaviest band is not enough then double up with another band.
Do whatever you'll do. For real. Sounds like you've got a little routine going on. Are you happy with the results? Are you working out the areas you want to work out? What are your goals? Ect.

It sounds like you're trying to bulk up. Grab some weights and resistance bands and grip strength.
But whatever you do, add to your routine. And be realistic about your diet and time commitments
Good luck!

Not trying to bill up. Just stay generally fit and lose weight.

Resistance bands are pretty good for a lot of exercises and don't take up much space. I got a kit with five different bands, hand grips and some other attachments.

I want a standard barbell with weights though...I really miss deadlifting. Ideally I would also get a "power tower" for pullups, dips etc. Space is the real issue.

Resistance bands? Cool idea. ILl pick some up.

OP
OP
Mr Paptimus

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Get a functional trainer home gym if you can afford it. Does every body part. I bought an X Mark functional trainer and it's been amazing. Cancelled my gym membership entirely because of it.

I can't afford something like that right now and I have no place to put it anyway. I'm just looking for some cheap stuff to substitute until the gyms open back up.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing comes close to touching the value of resistance bands. Pull up bar is also good.

The adjustable dumbbells are expensive but worth it in the long run if it saves you a gym membership.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly my favorite thing for at home that I use most often is weighted vest along with weighted wrist and ankle bands. Put it all on and hike up and down the stairs if you have any. Even just wearing while doing laundry, cleaning, etc is a great workout.

Karamsoul

Oct 27, 2017
I can't afford something like that right now and I have no place to put it anyway. I'm just looking for some cheap stuff to substitute until the gyms open back up.

Then honestly all you need is an adjustable bench, some dumbbells, and a door frame pull up bar. You can accomplish everything with those items.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
10451.jpg

If you have the space and can find any in stock, a Vertical Knee Raise station like this, plus a squat rack, utility bench and barbell/dumbbells will serve you well.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
I've been training with bodyweight exercises for the past decade and a half, and during that time I've been able to try out and evaluate most exercises and pieces of equipment under the sun. Keep in mind that flexibility and transportability are key to me. If you want to go for a full barbell + squat rack + bench setup, go for it!

My list, in order of descending versatility/usefulness (but all still worthwhile in my opinion):
  1. Gymnastics rings
  2. Parallettes (preferably 12" tall; the ~3' tall ones are nice for dips and inverted rows, but has other limitations)
  3. Weighted vest
The number of exercises you can do with rings alone is staggering, and the skill ceiling is very, very high.

OP
OP
Mr Paptimus

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Well the reasons bands are easy enough (are you afraid the ones with handles or ones that are just the big rubber bands?) But the dumbbells are bit of a problem. Completely sold out at least the first store I looked. Should have been predictable.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to bill up. Just stay generally fit and lose weight.

You don't necessarily "bulk up" with resistance bands. That's mostly your calories and how you want to hit strength/hypertrophy. Bands are versatile because they can do everything you listed but it's much easier on your joints. And they range from 10 pound bands to 100+ pound band. You don't gotta worry about hurting yourself with rubber bands, and they're accessible to newcomers.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Bands are a good start. Adjustable dumbbells are better and easy to add more plates as you improve.
Check anywhere that sells used sporting goods. They are a cheap goldmine for used fitness equipment.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Well the reasons bands are easy enough (are you afraid the ones with handles or ones that are just the big rubber bands?) But the dumbbells are bit of a problem. Completely sold out at least the first store I looked. Should have been predictable.
Try used if possible. But I remember used equipment going for ridiculous prices when the shutdowns started.

chancellor

Oct 26, 2017
I use a variety of bands, adjustable dumbbells and have a weight bench that can folded flat. I can do a good variety of exercises with those. I was glad I had it all because fitness equipment sold out when lockdown started.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking of getting fitness bands. Any recommendations?

You can find sets of 4-5 that range from 15 bucks to 100 bucks through Amazon. Keep in mind not every brand is going to be the same length. Some can stretch to the height of an average adult so you can do stuff like squats.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
A jump rope will go a long way and is essential in any home set up IMO. And as other have mentioned, a pull up bar.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

If you have the means/space, a power rack, a barbell, and some dumbbells. That's all you need.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If you have the means/space, a power rack, a barbell, and some dumbbells. That's all you need.

They also cost more than a set of bands. I don't know how versatile OP wants to get but being able to do strength training anywhere in your house, or in the backyard is one of the best parts of using bands.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what goals you're trying to achieve but I'd say that cheap dipping bars and resistance bands are probably the most universal gym equipment you can get.

Agent Matt

Oct 31, 2017
I would recommend some foam exercise mats if you're doing any running/jumping motions such as jump rope or plyometrics.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
Resistance bands are easier to come by than dumbbells I've found. Get a set of those with different levels and a pull-up / push up bar. Jump rope would be good too. Everything else can be done with body weight.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Resistance bands
Yoga mat
Heavy bag and gloves (if you want to start using kickboxing for cardio)
Pull-up bar for doorframes
Medicine Ball

OP
OP
Mr Paptimus

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Update: spend about $150 on stuff.
Resistance bands:. Rubber band kind, so far it seems like a good investment. I can even use them all working from home
5 lb barbells: would have liked some larger ones but couldn't find any of places I went. Still good for something, and also can use them while I work.
Carpeted floor panels: Nice to build my own workout place in my apartment. And should quiet the noise. People below me are kind of dicks and I think theyd b**** at me if I did some really hard workouts. But also should make a more comfortable place to work out in.
Inflatable weight balls: another thing good for doing something while I'm working. We'll see how useful it is..
Ab roller wheel: cheap thing that looked useful at the time. But I'll probably take it back.
Ankle weights: someone suggested this for doing stairs, that seemed like an good idea. Also I can use a small barbells for my arms when I do this.

So that's going to be my fitness starter kit.

I love to get like a pull-up bar, but I'm both pretty tall and rather heavy, so I'm not sure I'd actually be able to use it. I'd also love heavier stuff like a punching bag or a bench, but there's no room in my apartment for it. And I can't keep it on the patio because it's not covered. The sun and the rain woulde destroyed pretty quickly.