• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
OneTrueJack Given how people online laud the 2017 Power Rangers film, I'm not even sure if that hypothetical florist story would automatically fall flat to everyone. It'd fall flat to me, but my tastes are simultaneously boring and wacky.

Character-based spin-offs are going to involve some level of sequestering. Velma is both defined and blank enough that there's potential for a new take that explores her character.
2017 Power Rangers kept the talking robot, though. The talking face too.

The only talking thing they really lost was the talking flying monkey. He was still there, though. Just couldn't talk.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
As a south asian, why is this even a thing? Why cant she be a new character? Who asked for this?

No scooby either and its all edgy and mature? This is animated riverdale? Come the fuck on

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I wouldn't be surprised if Velma ultimately feels more like a Scooby-Doo! series than the 2017 PR film felt like Power Rangers. And even if it doesn't, it's all down to execution.

As for who asked for this, I'm presuming Mindy Kaling.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Which is my point. You can't make the argument "well the show is called Velma" when the show includes the entire cast except Scooby.

All that says to me is they don't want to make an actual adult show. They want to make a "This ain't your daddy's Scooby-Doo. None of that kiddy bullshit like talking dogs! We got blood and curse words cause we're cool and mature!"

It says to me that they don't want to make a Venture Bros. They want to make a Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but that's a pretty tell tale sign.
You are literally extrapolating that from nothing.

It's also ignoring that Harley Quinn exists and features a talking houseplant and a guy whose power is literally just kites.

If they really wanted to go in the "Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon" direction you're talking about then they would absolutely put Scooby in and make him fuck.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks fine. Scooby Doo is a franchise that is literally just silly putty, you can put them in whatever scenario and style you want and its just as valid as anything else.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I wouldn't mind another series where they face off against real monsters from the jump. Warner's been railroading that aspect of the franchise in animation for too long.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As a south asian, why is this even a thing? Why cant she be a new character? Who asked for this?

No scooby either and its all edgy and mature? This is animated riverdale? Come the fuck on

Because a South Asian person wanted to write this story. If you don't agree, why don't you write a new South Asian character and see how easy it is to get White Hollywood to green light your work?

Why are you even against more South Asian representation?

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Why they did not do the Shaggy and Scooby show when both grow up and become less cowardly and Solve Crimes/Supernatural things by themselves?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Is it bad that the first thing I noticed was the fact that a girl had the top of her head chopped off and her brain missing?

Cause that definitely threw me for a loop.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fine. Scooby Doo is a franchise that is literally just silly putty, you can put them in whatever scenario and style you want and its just as valid as anything else.

Every Scooby Doo show pre-Mystery Incorporated was half-baked trash carried by perfect character design. Including the original.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is the franchise y'all want to say "this show is a step too far".

Scooby-Doo%21_WrestleMania_Mystery.jpg

SD_Cyber_Chase.jpg

MV5BYjhmNDYyYWQtNjA4Yi00NDBjLThmYTgtNGQ3ZDhjODlkOGEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY4NTIzMjA@._V1_.jpg

Adult animation is basically the only good thing WB does nowadays so i'm cautiously optimistic about it. Can't be worse than that awful CG film a few years ago.

If it does suck, it won't be because of Velma's skin colour, it'll be because the writing sucks.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

SD_Cyber_Chase.jpg

MV5BYjhmNDYyYWQtNjA4Yi00NDBjLThmYTgtNGQ3ZDhjODlkOGEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY4NTIzMjA@._V1_.jpg

Adult animation is basically the only good thing WB does nowadays so i'm cautiously optimistic about it. Can't be worse than that awful CG film a few years ago.
There's a dog in all of these images.

(And you keep A Pup Named Scooby-Doo out of your mouth. I will not abide this slander.)

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's a dog in all of these images.

(And you keep A Pup Named Scooby-Doo out of your mouth. I will not abide this slander.)
Show's not called Scooby Doo: Velma is it? It's just Velma.

Also that show is terrible, as is like 80% of all Scooby Doo shows, movies and media.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Show's not called Scooby Doo: Velma is it? It's just Velma.

You can't make the argument "well the show is called Velma" when the show includes the entire cast except Scooby.

All that says to me is they don't want to make an actual adult show. They want to make a "This ain't your daddy's Scooby-Doo. None of that kiddy bullshit like talking dogs! We got blood and curse words cause we're cool and mature!"

It says to me that they don't want to make a Venture Bros. They want to make a Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but that's a pretty tell tale sign

Yet, this wouldn't be the first Scooby-Doo spin-off to not have Scooby, see Daphne & Velma.
How many people in here heard of it. It was an hour and 18 minute straight to video that nobody actually saw...

Probably because it didn't have the dog.

We've been around these circles already.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it bad that the first thing I noticed was the fact that a girl had the top of her head chopped off and her brain missing?

Cause that definitely threw me for a loop.
Would be weird if it was not, since that the most foreground thing in the pic. That pic was def chosen to show how that show would be more adult than the usual scooby doo spinoff.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
We've been around these circles already.
Clearly not because some people need to get it through their head that the focus of the show is on Velma. Having other characters in the show from prior Scooby Doo media doesn't mean they will serve the same narrative function or have the same amount of screentime, let alone have the same dynamic.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
For a moment, I thought the redhead next to Velma was Daphne. Very well could be Daphne.

And can we get a title change from "Adults-Only" to "Adult-Oriented"?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly not because some people need to get it through their head that the focus of the show is on Velma. Having other characters in the show from prior Scooby Doo media doesn't mean they will serve the same narrative function or have the same amount of screentime, let alone have the same dynamic.
Alright, let me break this down for you pece by piece.

Me: This Scooby-Doo spinoff lacks Scooby-Doo, and that is a bad sign.

You: The show is named Velma and is thus about Velma, not Scooby-Doo.

Me: The show, despite being named Velma, takes literally every other main cast member in the series. This makes me question their motives and intentions for this show.

"But they'll be used differently" is not a counter argument to this. A cook and an arsonist use fire differently too.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Like, let me elaborate -

If the show were Velma and a new cast, my assumption would be they want to tell a story about Velma solving mysteries apart from, or before Mystery Inc.

If the show were Velma and all of Mystery Inc my assumption would be that they want to tell a story about Mystery Inc, but with Velma as the focal character.

When the show is Velma and all of Mystery Inc minus Scooby, the vibe I get is "talking dogs are for kids! We're real adults here making a show for real adults!"

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User Banned (3 Weeks): Antagonizing another member, history of similar behavior. Misuse of the reporting system.
Alright, let me break this down for you pece by piece.

Me: This Scooby-Doo spinoff lacks Scooby-Doo, and that is a bad sign.

You: The show is named Velma and is thus about Velma, not Scooby-Doo.

Me: The show, despite being named Velma, takes literally every other main cast member in the series. This makes me question their motives and intentions for this show.

"But they'll be used differently" is not a counter argument to this. A cook and an arsonist use fire differently too.
What i'm hearing is you're too obtuse to understand that different shows have different goals, themes, tones, etc. and can also exist under the same IP.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It does feel really weird that the show is "everybody EXCEPT Scooby", but weirder and dumber things have been done with the Scooby-Doo IP before.

I'll give it an episode or two but I usually don't click with Kaling's writing style and I'm not sure I'm really into the idea of a super-gory Scooby take. I feel like that's been done so many times as a parody over the years that it somehow feels old hat despite having never been done officially before.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
What i'm hearing is you're too obtuse to understand that different shows have different goals, themes, tones, etc. and can also exist under the same IP.
What I'm hearing is that you have trouble reading and comprehending what people say to you. Noted for future reference.

Erdago

Apr 2, 2020
Do we actually have confirmation that Fred, Daphne, and Shaggy are appearing in the show, or is it just an assumption based on the "four key characters" line, and that they only mentioned leaving Scooby and the Mystery Machine?

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'd honestly be more on board with it if it was just velma and a whole new cast of characters instead of just scooby gang minus scoob, but at the end of the day its up to the writing to sell it, so I hope it will be good!
Do we actually have confirmation that Fred, Daphne, and Shaggy are appearing in the show, or is it just an assumption based on the "four key characters" line, and that they only mentioned leaving Scooby and the Mystery Machine?
Maybe one of the key characters is film-flam

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Like, let me elaborate -

If the show were Velma and a new cast, my assumption would be they want to tell a story about Velma solving mysteries apart from, or before Mystery Inc.

If the show were Velma and all of Mystery Inc my assumption would be that they want to tell a story about Mystery Inc, but with Velma as the focal character.

When the show is Velma and all of Mystery Inc minus Scooby, the vibe I get is "talking dogs are for kids! We're real adults here making a show for real adults!"
Or, y'know, since this is a prequel perhaps they haven't met Scooby yet?

But nah, let's just go with the worst possible reading based on absolutely nothing.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Or, y'know, since this is a prequel perhaps they haven't met Scooby yet?
A Watsonian justification for a Doyalist decision does not change the fact that the decision was made. This is fiction, "they haven't met Scooby yet" is a choice they would be making to avoid having Scooby in the show, not some real world fact that hinders them or canon they are bound to by corporate law.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Same here. Is this what it's like when Marvel characters aren't white anymore?
Yep, that's definitely what this thread feels like.

This thread: "Why try to do something new with a character in an established series? Why not do an original series?"

People whining about a character's ethnicity change: "Why change this character's ethnicity? Why not just do an original character?"

Very similar energy.

My take: If it works, it works. If it doesn't? Oh well.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Scooby will be introduced as a furry whose fursona is a great Dane, and he and Shaggy fall in love.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why they did not do the Shaggy and Scooby show when both grow up and become less cowardly and Solve Crimes/Supernatural things by themselves?
We already had a Scooby and Shag solo series. They inherit a mansion and mystery solving takes a bit of a backseat in favor of a serialized plot where they stop a mad genius from taking over the world with nano tech. Also they have a robot butler and the mystery machine can transform.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Because a South Asian person wanted to write this story. If you don't agree, why don't you write a new South Asian character and see how easy it is to get White Hollywood to green light your work?

Why are you even against more South Asian representation?

Because this is the laziest form of representation and quite frankly disrespectful. I'm not a fan of race swapping existing characters.

What that tells me is that the creators aren't confident or aren't willing to invest the time in creating a new character because the audience might not be receptive. So they're taking the fastest approach to win some diversity points by taking something exists and then adjusting a few knobs and sliders, as if they're using that Actiblizz diversity tool. It would have been awesome if there was a new south asian cast member that could stand on their own instead of relying on an existing character for familiarity.

There's no reason I should feel happy about these crumbs or clamor for more of it.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't get this show,
Like it's removing Scooby doo and the van and looks like the gang is very different so why even associate with Scooby doo lol

Make it it's own thing but I guess that's the power of the brand

Because Harley Quinn was surprisingly popular and made Warner Brothers plenty of bank. (Not to mention being a really good show.)

This feels like its gearing itself at a similar audience.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020

SD_Cyber_Chase.jpg

If it does suck, it won't be because of Velma's skin colour, it'll be because the writing sucks.
Scooby-Do is an extraordinarily enduring and elastic franchise, but I think these are better examples of them shaking up the formula:

The_13_Ghosts_of_Scooby-Doo.jpg
sddefault.jpg

tt0189072.jpg
80994294.jpg.webp