• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Why is this a scooby doo show? Sounds like a completely different thing thats just aping the characters

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I don't personally have any emotional stuff tied up in Scooby so I'm fine with him not being in this.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Stop stepping on Garfield's toes.

Garfield is the eldritch abomination.

Scooby is the group hallucination.

Heathcliff is the... welll... we don't talk about Heathcliff.

And Marmaduke is just a dog.

My hypothesis is that Heathcliff is actually an avatar, the physical representation of the five fundamental forces on this plane, and in this series of reports, I will

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why call it Velma if all you're gonna do is use the name and some of the look. Why not do Scooby-Doo but make Velma the lead and make her South Asian. This is just making an entirely different show and using an IP purely for the brand value.

You really seem to be arguing that if they're going to do a Velma spinoff, she has to be white. It seems that it's okay to you for her to be South Asian if Scooby is present, but not otherwise.

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Hostility over Representation Concerns over Multiple Posts
You really seem to be arguing that if they're going to do a Velma spinoff, she has to be white. It seems that it's okay to you for her to be South Asian if Scooby is present, but not otherwise.
Yeah I'm done with you, clown. AGAIN putting words in my mouth, I don't give single fuck what color she is, in this show or otherwise. Jesus Christ get a clue

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Not having Scooby is super lame, but I'm down with diversifying the cast. That Velma design looks great.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm done with you, clown. AGAIN putting words in my mouth, I don't give single fuck what color she is, in this show or otherwise. Jesus Christ get a clue

We can all see exactly what you said.

Why call it Velma if all you're gonna do is use the name and some of the look. Why not do Scooby-Doo but make Velma the lead and make her South Asian. This is just making an entirely different show and using an IP purely for the brand value.

Call me all the names you want, but you said what you said.

Rabbit

Feb 24, 2018
Would be interested if it wasn't for the hyper violence in that image. It always feels creatively bankrupt to me anytime I see that about a new show aimed at adults.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I'm a sucker for adult animation and crude gore. I basically watch it all. I hope it's a fun show, and a gored up "adult" Scooby Doo does make sense in a cynical kind of way which is why Robot Chicken did it like 2 decades ago. I'll gladly watch but what's the hook beyond all that

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Because Velma is the main character? It's like asking why the Batman-less Robin series of comics is called Robin?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling adults

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Mystery Incorporated had a more mature tone and it was the best thing that's ever happened to Scooby-Doo. I'm cautiously optimistic about this but need to see a bit more and know who's going to be writing it.

Pollux

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a show called Velma and it's a prequel origin story before Mystery Inc is a thing. People going about "no Scooby" are straight up not reading about what the show is.
No. I get what the show is. I'm saying that it makes no sense to have mystery inc without scooby. Without the dog you might as well just make new characters.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I ignored the Supernatural crossover because i assumed it was just another lame direct to video animation, and also i try to avoid anything supernatural (I am just not the target audience for it (and CW as a whole tbh) anymore, it fell off for me personally with the whole brother coming back from hell thing and the angels/demons war shit)

Was it "adult" themed?

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I ignored the Supernatural crossover because i assumed it was just another lame direct to video animation, and also i try to avoid anything supernatural (I am just not the target audience for it anymore, it fell off for me with the whole brother coming back from hell thing)

Was it "adult" themed?
Velma was very horny in it, if memory serves.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
was this one of those instances where someone had an idea they wanted to make and the only way it could get greenlit was shoehorning it into an established property?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean the Robin comics where Batman regularly appears and which aren't trying to be edgy with hyper violence?

There are lots of Robin comics/stories with no Batman.

Batman/Robin stories took a turn from campy/silly to hyerviolent like since the 70s to move away from the camp 60s series so like ... so what if there's one version of Scooby Doo that trends that way. Why is that such a big deal?

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
I assume they are going for the same audience as the Harley Quinn show right? As long as Velma loses her glasses and says jinkies a lot im okay with whatever the fuck. The gore? Sure. Some IMPLIED nudity? Yeah. I just hope it doesnt over do the naked stuff. And i hope the writers dont just shit in their hands and throw it and see what sticks.

Oct 28, 2017
There are lots of Robin comics/stories with no Batman.

Batman/Robin stories took a turn from campy/silly to hyerviolent like since the 70s to move away from the camp 60s series so like ... so what if there's one version of Scooby Doo that trends that way. Why is that such a big deal?
Because it seems like they just created an entirely different show and slapped the IP on it for some attention.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I assume they are going for the same audience as the Harley Quinn show right? As long as Velma loses her glasses and says jinkies a lot im okay with whatever the fuck. The gore? Sure. Some IMPLIED nudity? Yeah. I just hope it doesnt over do the naked stuff. And i hope the writers dont just shit in their hands and throw it and see what sticks.
Yeah, i gotta assume they're going hard on the Harley Quinn Show demo. We'll see if this team has the heart to match. I'm leaning torwards not, but i'm also willing to be pleasantly surprised. Wouldn't be the first time.

Because it seems like they just created an entirely different show and slapped the IP on it for some attention.
You gotta stop responding to trolls. They're just looking for a fight and a reason to report you.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Are we all fans of the Harley Quinn HBO show here? Cause that show absolutely ruled.

And where's the third season?!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scooby-Doo without Scooby-Doo 💀

2022 has peaked.

It's actually a series called Velma ... with no Scooby Doo.

Which isn't even the first time something like that has been done.

p15351902_p_v8_aa.jpg

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I thought this was going to be a solo series, but having the four without Scooby isn't doing anything for me. Who's Shaggy going to bounce off of?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Or they're just doing what's done in comic books ... like all the time?

There are plenty of reimagining of characters based on one property or different characters who may be side-characters given their own series.

This is their take on the IP, they wanted to do something more grown up and not just "wink wink grown up, still for kids but we'll have some side jokes for mom and dad" thing ... that kinda means the talking dog probably had to go.

Oct 28, 2017
Or they're just doing what's done in comic books ... like all the time?

There are plenty of reimagining of characters based on one property or different characters who may be side-characters given their own series.

This is their take on the IP, they wanted to do something more grown up and not just "wink wink grown up, still for kids but we'll have some side jokes for mom and dad" thing ... that kinda means the talking dog probably had to go.
It doesn't mean the talking dog had to go at all, it just means a lack of creativity.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't mean the talking dog had to go at all, it just means a lack of creativity.

Or that's their take, which isn't a big reach.

It's like saying modern Batman movies are creatively bankrupt for not having franchise staples like Robin and the classic tights and short shorts blue and yellow suit ... no it just means some shit works better in goofier comic book settings than it does in something trying for a more realistic approach.

For the approach they want to go in here, having a talking fucking dog in every second scene with a goofy ass voice probably would detract from the style/tone rather than help. Which is fair game for the creator.

Wouldn't the "lazy" take be just redoing the same thing for the 100th time? There are like how many different iterations of the classic Scooby Doo show since 1969? 20 maybe?

Last edited:

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
It's called a "spinoff" for a reason.

If the Jeffersons can get on with their lives away from the Bunkers for a decade, then the gang can live without Scooby.

The rest is whatever, but it feels like this is trying to check off all the marks of adult animation in one screenshot. Makes me skeptical.

Depends on whether or not they play it straight, or the camp of old is front and center.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
IWq.gif

Reading this was an actual event.

I don't know.

Someone in there is arguing that wanting to fuck Scooby Doo is unethical because as a dog, he can't give proper consent. The other is apparently saying no, he has actual personhood and as such can consent to being fucked.

I leave this one up to you, ResetEra.
I'd make the case that it's weirder for Scooby Do to fuck a dog than a human