• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Once Trevor's look evolves into Curse of Darkness then we know shit is going to get lit

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Hector will still be a dumbass. It was crazy he was tricked so many times.

From the screenshots it seems like our couple are having a hard time.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Need it now.

I just hope Netflix continues the series after Ellis' departure, there's so much stuff that i would love to see animated and the whole team shouldn't suffer for one asshole's horrible actions.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I love this show. It fills a mature animated series void even better than most anime rn too. The dialogue and gothic art is so dope. And i love the comraderie between trevor and sypha.

Plus the dracula/alucard fight might be one of the best animated fight scenes ever.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Ellis actually out after this season? I keep hearing people say that but I don't think I ever read that to be the case.

That said I'm pumped. The writer might suck but a ton of people came together to make the series as good as it has been.

That said get Genndy Tartakovsky to make a Simon Belmont movie in the vain of Primal. Little to no dialogue, brutally beautiful and let the visuals do the story telling.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
S3 was incredible—I haven't been as enthralled in any fantasy-themed media's mere dialogue in ages. Never expected to care about Castlevania full stop, let alone care about side characters' arcs after the big bad's out of the picture.

bringon s4

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Isaac was the highlight for me last season, really interested to see what they do with him.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is indeed a Castlevania

As much as I adored Ellis' body of work, finding out what a shitbag he was makes me glad he'll be off the show after this season. I just hope whoever replaces him can fill the void without being a shitty creep.

The way it usually goes, once the original writer leaves, the whole thing goes to shit. If Blood of Zeus is anything to go by then, regardless of what he's like as a person, Ellis is the reason Castlevania is as good as it is.

It probably doesn't help that the fourth season will likely end the Trevor and Sypha storyline so that the show can move on to Richter. At that point, with a different writer and a different cast, it'll basically be a completely different show and I can't think of very many, if any, examples of a show that survived changing its main characters.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is Ellis actually out after this season? I keep hearing people say that but I don't think I ever read that to be the case.

That said I'm pumped. The writer might suck but a ton of people came together to make the series as good as it has been.

That said get Genndy Tartakovsky to make a Simon Belmont movie in the vain of Primal. Little to no dialogue, brutally beautiful and let the visuals do the story telling.

I don't think we've seen any confirmation of Ellis actually leaving.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Isn't it about time they moved forward in the timeline?
Castlevania is supposed to be about legacy right?

Season 2's ending and the whole of 3 were clearly setting up Curse of Darkness, so we won't jump ahead yet. Hopefully season 4 at least starts Curse of Darkness proper, or it's going to be like 10 seasons before we even get to the original Castlevania.

From the screenshots it seems like our couple are having a hard time.

As opposed to the generally fun, pleasant times characters normally have in this show? :)

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I don't think we've seen any confirmation of Ellis actually leaving.
The Hollywood Reporter has learned that the projects canceled include a Batman story from the superstar writer-creator of Netflix's Castlevania, Warren Ellis, who has been accused of sexual harassment and abuse by multiple women. (Sources say that while Ellis has completed work on the upcoming season of Castlevania, he will not be back for potential future seasons).

It's unlikely they'd make a statement before promotion of Season 4 even begins that would give people a reason to not want to watch.

What is likely is that if Season 5 were already internally greenlit, and assuming writing hadn't already begun, they're probably well into trying to find a replacement ASAP or are just waiting to announce them.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
So in. Loved all previous seasons. I am not really deep into Castlevania lore, but I was really surprised at season 3 being so good when Dracula moved out of the picture. Sypha and Trevor, let's go!

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I disliked Season 3 quite a bit after I let it simmer from my completion of it.

I'll check our season 4 to see how it goes, but for now season 1 and 2 essentially completed the story for me.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the use of the term filler has gotten so diluted. Even if I didn't like the third season I wouldn't consider it filler.

It feels like nothing happens for half the actual airtime of the season. It's all just..talking. Literally an entire season focused on Trevor uncovering a mystery in a town that in another animated series would just be the theme of one episode.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like nothing happens for half the actual airtime of the season. It's all just..talking. Literally an entire season focused on Trevor uncovering a mystery in a town that in another animated series would just be the theme of one episode.

I'd argue that the first half the season and all the talking is of far more importance to our characters than any of the crazy action scenes in the latter parts. Isaac's conversations hold a lot more weight and do a whole lot more to grow and understand his character than him fighting a giant ball of brainwashed people as cool as that was. I'd say much the same about the other characters outside of Alucard who had the weakest narrative arc of the season.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck do they pump them out so fast?

they got a "head start" with S1 not really being a full season. so currently we're sitting at 2.5 seasons over 3 years, a 30 min animated show.

netflix seems pretty good about churning out their animated shows on the dot. everything else is "when it comes, it comes"

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
Considering both season 2 and 3 start off with an iconic Castlevania fanservice bossfight, I wonder what they'll do for the start of season 4?
Will Death finally show up and steal all their shit?

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
S3 is good? I stopped after S2 because it felt so final. That last Dracula is spectacular.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
After what I heard about Season 3 and seeing so many folks express disappointment in the story, I'm think gonna play the "wait and see" game before I catch up. Kind of sad that our fantasies about Seasons 3 and 4 covering other Castlevania games (1,2,4, Richter, Symphony) never came to pass. I know that's greedy to say, since the series is as impossibly good as it is for a video game adaptation.

Did anyone actually love Season 3? It seems like the reactions were "it was really weak" to "I didn't hate it I guess".

Oh shit I missed this- good to see someone liked it!!

I liked it, and while you didn't have the epic showdown like in Season 2, it was still great television.

I think the issue was the characters had their own separate character development focused story lines as opposed to the gang getting together and kicking Vampire ass. If your temper your expectations imho there's no dropoff. After killing off such an infamous big bad, obviously things have changed for everyone involved and its focused on how they move on. Not like he's gonna just instantly pop back from the dead on some 'My bad!' shit and we royal rumble again, lol

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Considering both season 2 and 3 start off with an iconic Castlevania fanservice bossfight, I wonder what they'll do for the start of season 4?
Will Death finally show up and steal all their shit?

I wonder if they think having the concept of Death show up would be too much? The show's a lot more grounded than the games, like Dracula's Castle is magitech to explain its shifting form, rather than being a creature of chaos.

Then again Lament of Innocence happened in this universe and Death is very important in that game... Yet the writers might feel his role there as the "man behind the man" for Dracula would feel too video gamey?

I'll bet if Death does show, it'll be made clear he's a Shinigami, not capital-D Death. Maybe Isaac will become the show's Death?

for a boss in S4, would be neat to see Dullahan. With the implied multiverse out there in S3 I wouldn't be surprised to see some doppelgängers of our crew show up either

Last edited:

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After what I heard about Season 3 and seeing so many folks express disappointment in the story, I'm think gonna play the "wait and see" game before I catch up. Kind of sad that our fantasies about Seasons 3 and 4 covering other Castlevania games (1,2,4, Richter, Symphony) never came to pass. I know that's greedy to say, since the series is as impossibly good as it is for a video game adaptation.

Did anyone actually love Season 3? It seems like the reactions were "it was really weak" to "I didn't hate it I guess".

Of all the seasons of shows I've seen that felt like filler or buildup, Castlevania season 3 was easily the best. It lacked the focus of the previous seasons, but it took a world I already found interesting and managed to make me twice as invested. I thought Alucard's subplot was really weak, but the other stories more than made up for it, and I ended up loving the season as a whole. Not as good as good as the other two, but still very enjoyable to me.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This isn't a monster-of-the-week show. It's a series with a point and ideas it wants to explore.

This is the first time a videogame adaptation is actually worth a shit by having, like, actual fucking dialogue.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Isaac was the hightlight last season for me.
Someone so utterly detached and hateful of humanity getting some glimpses into the diversity of human motivation and character was fantastic

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Still need to watch season 3. Glad these types of shows are getting made though, adult-aimed action/adventure animation is sorely missed in American productions.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Show lost me after season 3. Bring on news about masters of the universe. An image or anything.
There was a huge drop off after the finale of season 2 which makes sense. It was not bad but you just can't live up to the first 2 seasons.

The set up for why Dracula wanted to kill all humans was way more powerful than anything we saw post Drac. And the ending of season 2 is just one of the best things I have ever seen on television. When bloody tears starts playing when they assault the castle that was just a real moment that you don't see very often in any kind of media.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the new writer can unbutcher Alucard but I guess I gotta wait till s5 or whatever

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
There was a huge drop off after the finale of season 2 which makes sense. It was not bad but you just can't live up to the first 2 seasons.

The set up for why Dracula wanted to kill all humans was way more powerful than anything we saw post Drac. And the ending of season 2 is just one of the best things I have ever seen on television. When bloody tears starts playing when they assault the castle that was just a real moment that you don't see very often in any kind of media.
Man, I disliked Season 3 quite a bit after I let it simmer from my completion of it.

I'll check our season 4 to see how it goes, but for now season 1 and 2 essentially completed the story for me.

Season 3 is great because it shows the life-after-Dracula phase for everyone and how it had an effect on them, good and bad. Having it end at season 2 would have left way too many open plot points just to settle for a "happy" ending. Too many shows go for the "Hero defeats the villain" ending without showing the aftermath and how it had an effect on others. It's the same reason I like Mandalorian for explaining that since the empire has fallen, a lot of places that were ruled by that order of the empire are now chaotic and lawless lands, with some places taken over by thugs and gangs, which fucked over travel to certain systems and their economies. And the New Republic is doing what they can to keep the peace even though it's too much for them to handle.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Started watching s2. The animation quality significantly dropped compared to s1. Is it going to stay this bad? Looks like it went from Japanese-animation to US-animation.

edit: sorry for the bump, blame the search algorithm

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they have something better for Alucard because the twin plot just felt like they were spinning wheels.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Started watching s2. The animation quality significantly dropped compared to s1. Is it going to stay this bad? Looks like it went from Japanese-animation to US-animation.

edit: sorry for the bump, blame the search algorithm

There's a general OT for the show if you'd like to discuss the show there! It's just not been very active in quite awhile.

www.resetera.com

Castlevania Season 3 | OT | Out now! (Open spoilers) [UPDATE: Season 4 announced! See threadmarks!]

There isn't many but some are starting to come out. Game Spot - 9/10 (NOTE: Game Spot review may contain spoilers, so beware) Bloody Disgusting Collider Overall, very positive! :D Edit - 3/3 TellTaleTV But Why Tho? Flickering Myth Kotaku's Nerdist

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's a general OT for the show if you'd like to discuss the show there! It's just not been very active in quite awhile.

www.resetera.com

Castlevania Season 3 | OT | Out now! (Open spoilers) [UPDATE: Season 4 announced! See threadmarks!]

There isn't many but some are starting to come out. Game Spot - 9/10 (NOTE: Game Spot review may contain spoilers, so beware) Bloody Disgusting Collider Overall, very positive! :D Edit - 3/3 TellTaleTV But Why Tho? Flickering Myth Kotaku's Nerdist

Does the animation quality get back to s1? It is utterly shit in s2. I'm getting 1990s cartoon quality drop vibes.