• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State

From Variety

"Your orders are to deliver a message calling off tomorrow's attack. If you don't, we will lose 1,600 men, your brother among them," Firth's character says.

The trailer then cuts to a montage of shots featuring men swimming through bodies, hiding in trenches, and avoiding the perilous reality of World War I. 1917 was the fourth year of the war, which ultimately ended on Nov. 11, 1918.

"If you fail, it will be a massacre," Firth's character concludes.

"1917" marks the screenwriting debut of Mendes, the Oscar-winning director for "American Beauty." Krysty Wilson-Cairns co-wrote the script. The film also stars Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Strong, Andrew Scott and Richard Madden. Mendes' other credits include "Road to Perdition," "Revolutionary Road," "Skyfall," and "Spectre." He's also worked extensively in Broadway on shows such as "The Ferryman," "Cabaret," "Gypsy" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."

Universal and DreamWorks are releasing "1917" in limited release on Dec. 25 followed by a nationwide debut on Jan. 10, 2020.

Looking very nice. What's not mentioned is that Steven Spielberg is involved and cinematographer is Roger Deakins.

EDIT: Already a thread. Go ahead and close this. I just saw the news today, don't know how I missed this yesterday.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure at least part of the glut of WW1 stuff in recent years is due to the amazing Hardcore History episodes. This looks sweet though, I'll see anything Deakins works on.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
WWI and Deakins have my attention. Do people have faith in Mendes? Haven't seen much of his besides Skyfall. Which was... ok. But pretty.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Must say it's a bit jarring to see soldiers using a Lee Enfield with some kind of electric torch on the barrel. It's an echo of modern house-clearing tactics, but you'd probably want to use something more practical than a huge bolt action rifle. Perhaps an artilleryman's revolver or something, leaving a free hand to wield the torch.

For most of us I suppose 1917 is significant for the October Revolution and the truce on the Eastern Front, or perhaps the Zimmerman Telegram and the resumption of the U-boat campaigns leading to the entry of the United States into the war. A film about a race against time to save a quite minuscule number of men seems rather tone deaf to me. It was a meat grinder.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like Dunkirk but WWI, although what was up with those modern clearing tactics?

Nonetheless glad to see the Great War finally getting some love again in mainstream media, and Deakins is a nice touch.

For most of us I suppose 1917 is significant for the October Revolution and the truce on the Eastern Front, or perhaps the Zimmerman Telegram and the resumption of the U-boat campaigns leading to the entry of the United States into the war. A film about a race against time to save a quite minuscule number of men seems rather tone deaf to me. It was a meat grinder.
Although the consequences of WWI dramatically reshaped the world, the war itself is best remembered as a meat grinder; it did not begin on the basis of where it finished unlike WWII, but instead was more about rather archaic attitudes toward geopolitical power mixing with the turn of the century into modern warfare and technology, producing deadly results. Though 1600 is relatively small to the total amount lost in some single days of battle, I think it's a good basis for the actions of a small band of soldiers in this particular war in how they do not set out to save or reshape the world, but instead save the lives of those caught in the middle of a war that is of the scale to do that, and is therefore a far more appropriately human story.

Last edited:

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Though 1600 is relatively small to the total amount lost in some single days of battle, I think it's a good basis for the actions of a small band of soldiers in this particular war in how they do not set out to save or reshape the world, but instead save the lives of those caught in the middle of a war that is of the scale to do that, and is therefore a far more appropriately human story.

Yeah, I can see that it's a Saving Private Ryan-style mcguffin, setting up a story we can all empathize with (save all those soldiers, your brother included) against the broader backdrop of mechanised warfare.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Looks awful. It's 1917 but somehow no mans land is still a pristine grass field with a neat trench in it. Everything should be a moonscape.