• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
Looks stylistically almost like a sequel to GBH. While I absolutely love GBH, the incredibly meticulous and unsubtly perfect framing in every shot can start to ring hollow when overused, so I hope this can do enough to differentiate itself. In general, I prefer the more subtle use of these techniques in his stretch from Rushmore through LAwSZ.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Looks stylistically almost like a sequel to GBH. While I absolutely love GBH, the incredibly meticulous and unsubtly perfect framing in every shot can start to ring hollow when overused, so I hope this can do enough to differentiate itself. In general, I prefer the more subtle use of these techniques in his stretch from Rushmore through LAwSZ.
The one thing I don't like about GBH is that it's almost too good.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
I don't care if his framing is same-y (and it can be), he writes great, fun screenplays. I'm in.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was a smaller role in the (already packed) film but her sleepy eyes are unmistakable

2593fbdf8af43524a4d1a315d8703585.jpg

Shut the front fucking door. I had no idea.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I skipped Isle of Dogs (didn't like FMF) but this looks pretty good, definitely checking it out in theatres.

May 24, 2019
Did everyone forget the Guatemalan kid leading his last live action movie?

edit: I never picked up that he was the bully in the last couple of Spiderman movies.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Feeling kind of tired of Anderson, to be honest, and Isle of Dogs left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'll probably catch this anyway. I do appreciate his craft, detailed eye, and clear vision, but the quaint, whimsical appeal's gotten stale for me.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Every single one of his movies is a main course desert. One of my favorite filmmakers. Has been since Rushmore, though Bottle Rocket was great too.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Wes Anderson is hit and miss for me. Sometimes I find his films horribly pretentious, while others are very heartfelt and entertaining. His sense of humor doesn't work for me a lot, which is probably my biggest problem. I really didn't care for Moonrise Kingdom, Darjeeling Limited and Bottle Rocket but I loved The Life Aquatic (my favorite film of his), Royal Tenenbaums, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Rushmore.

I didn't bother with Grand Budapest Hotel but I really should go back and watch that one.

This film looks like more of the same Wes Anderson shtick. His fans will eat it up, but people like me who need more are going to be tougher to sell this film on. I'll keep an eye on it for sure, especially with that cast.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
My two favorite filmmakers are Wes Anderson and David Fincher (Sofia Coppola, too, so my three favorite filmmakers). Wait, I have four favorite filmmakers: Wes Anderson, David Fincher, Noah Baumbach, Sofia Coppola, and Ozu. Shit, that's five. Okay, my five... I might as well start over...

My five favorite filmmakers are Wes Anderson, David Fincher, Sofia Coppola, Noah Baumbach, and Ozu. Each has an incredibly distinctive style, but I love Anderson's merging of the sincere and the ironic. It creates a tonal shift that produces such a flat affect. It's perfect film-making.

This trailer looks to be the maturation of the Andersonian style.

Oct 26, 2017
Feeling kind of tired of Anderson, to be honest, and Isle of Dogs left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'll probably catch this anyway. I do appreciate his craft, detailed eye, and clear vision, but the quaint, whimsical appeal's gotten stale for me.
I didn't hate Isle of Dogs but it did seem slight. I do think Grand Budapest is his peak (closely followed by Fantastic Mr Fox).

I'm in for this just for the cast.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Oh my FUCKING god! What a nice surprise! I had no idea this was even in production. Gaaah and it looks sooo good. I loved Grand Budapest. And that cast, my god, does anyone say no to Wes? Lol

Man I can't wait for this shit! I am hyped

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, 4:3. That's... something.

I'm always amazed this guy's films keep getting funded. They're lovely (though diminishing returns since the masterpiece duo of Rushmore and Tenenbaums IMO) but I think they've lost money more often than they've made. Oh well, something right in the world.

Amazing that he basically never leaves an actor behind. The ensemble nature of the casts is getting a bit unwieldly.

I've loved all his movies since Fantastic Mr.Fox, 100% in on this.

FMF is great but... nothing before that??

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Wow, 4:3. That's... something.

I'm always amazed this guy's films keep getting funded. They're lovely (though diminishing returns since the masterpiece duo of Rushmore and Tenenbaums IMO) but I think they've lost money more often than they've made. Oh well, something right in the world.

Amazing that he basically never leaves an actor behind. The ensemble nature of the casts is getting a bit unwieldly.

FMF is great but... nothing before that??

I haven't watched ALL of them but... yea. I don't really like them as much for some reason. I watched Life Aquatic a few months ago and it was just... ok. His awesome style is there but the characters/story/humor didn't grab me.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched ALL of them but... yea. I don't really like them as much for some reason. I watched Life Aquatic a few months ago and it was just... ok. His awesome style is there but the characters/story/humor didn't grab me.

Tenenbaums or Rushmore? Life Aquatic is great but it is starting to lean into the goofiness that his latter catalogue is much more marked by. Meanwhile Bottle Rocket, he's still really finding his voice (though it's still great). But Rushmore and RT are both incredibly moving films - they still have a lighthearted silliness without veering into twee, but there is a real beating heart behind both of those that can be a bit hard to find in his later stuff. RT is his magnum opus.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Kinda annoyed it's just the same actors as always, but the filmmaking looks absolutely incredible.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
They tend to do fairly well.

Isle of Dogs:
I couldn't find the budget but it did $64.2 mil

Budapest
Budget = $25 mil
BO = $172.9 mil

Moonrise
Budget = $16 mil
BO = $68.3 mil

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Budget = $40 mil
BO = $46.5 mil

Darjeeling Limited
Budget = $17.5 mil
BO = $35 mil

Life Aquatic
Budget $50 mil
BO = $34.8 mil

Royal Tenenbaums
Budget = $21 mil
BO = $71.4 mil

Rushmore
Budget $10 mil
BO = $19.1 mil

Bottle Rocket
Budget = $5 mil
BO = $560,069

Because of the style of movies he makes, it feels like they'd all be these super niche films but they're honestly pretty successful for their budget.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Tenenbaums or Rushmore? Life Aquatic is great but it is starting to lean into the goofiness that his latter catalogue is much more marked by. Meanwhile Bottle Rocket, he's still really finding his voice (though it's still great). But Rushmore and RT are both incredibly moving films - they still have a lighthearted silliness without veering into twee, but there is a real beating heart behind both of those that can be a bit hard to find in his later stuff. RT is his magnum opus.

Those are the two I haven't watched. I'll give RT a try one of these days. Thanks for the suggestion.

Oct 26, 2017

Same. Isle of Dogs kind of broke me on his deadpan rapid fire dialogue style. Just finding his characterizations/writing style cold and boring as time goes on.